shark during a campout?

carmen

It seems a little expensive for me but a friend said they like to pre-pack shark meat on their trips out to camp for a 3-4 day trip. I have never taken shark with us before as it seems silly to spend so much and then just use it over the campfire. I guess it could be good though. :tinysmile_hmm_t2:

cabinfever

I've never eaten shark at home or in a restaurant, let alone take it on a camping trip. We try to catch our food, as much as possible, but I always take along stuff for sandwiches and things like hotdogs, just in case the fish aren't biting that day.

Greatoutdoors

That does seem kind of odd to take on a campout, but to each his own. I have never had shark before, but it might be really good over a campfire!

Reed

What does shark taste like? The only reason I could see taking it on a camping trip is if it keeps you full longer than than any other type of meat.

TakeAHike

I have never tried shark before either. I don't even know of anywhere you could buy it around here. I can't see packing something that expensive on a camping trip though, since when you are packing everything in a cooler, it probably won't last long.

ChadTower

It depends where you are from, I guess. Shark is easy to get here and often as low as $5/lb for certain types. If you put it frozen solid into the cooler it will last quite a while and it cooks very easily wrapped up in foil around the edge of the coals.

carmen

I have never tried it myself but she said she would make it for me something (at home). I thought it was a little odd too but I guess if your budget can afford it then it is okay.

ChadTower

Shark is not always expensive. Some shark is by-catch and can't be sold for all that much per pound. Black Tip and Mako shark are good examples. If cooked right a Black Tip steak is amazing. The 'catch' is that it is not always available so you have to grab it while you can.

carmen

I am not sure I would go with anything but we will see. She said that shark was out of the question to find right now but it is possible to get some swordfish. We usually do a trip with her and her husband about once a year so we are trying to see if she is going to find anything better before the cold season kicks in.

Blueskyy

I didn't realize that shark was hard to come by because they have it at one of the local grocery stores fairly frequently and we are not near a coast. I have never tried shark before though.

ppine

Forester
I agree that everything tastes better outdoors. Last year I brought some King crab legs, fancy wine and some wild salmon for a birthday camping trip. It was one of the greatest meals of my life. We were the only people in the campground staring at Toiyabe Peak which is around 12,000 feet.

Sagebrusher

I agree that everything tastes better outdoors. Last year I brought some King crab legs, fancy wine and some wild salmon for a birthday camping trip. It was one of the greatest meals of my life. We were the only people in the campground staring at Toiyabe Peak which is around 12,000 feet.
Last time I cooked "fresh" salmon was over a campfire at the Great Sand Dunes NP campground. Just wrapped it in foil with some butter and spices and it tasted great! I bet shark steaks would work well, too.