Small Trailer for Camping Gear

MountainHomeCamper

My husband and I are getting ready for a few extended tent camping trips. We want to put as much gear as possible in some kind of an enclosed trailer that could be hauled behind an average SUV (like a Tuscon or Subaru Forester). We want it low enough to see over the top when looking in the rear view mirror. Anyone have something they've used that works really well? Any pointers on what to avoid or what to look for? We've always just crammed the gear into the back seats, but I want to free up the room when we're going for extended trips.

Thanks!

Hikenhunter

I bought an old pop-up trailer a couple of seaasons ago. I looked and waited till I found just the right one. I paid 100 bucks for it, gutted it, and removed all external fittings and plugged and covered the holes left by them. I put all my car camping gear in it, and since the roof is water tight, I leave my stuff in it all year round. It gets used for nothing but a place to store my gear and a way to get my gear from [point A to point B without a bunch of packing and unpacking. It really does work out fine.

ChadTower

If I had a place to park a small trailer that wasn't right on the property frontage I would do the same.

Can you post some pics of the trailer? I'd love to see what you did with it.

Bojib

We have thought about doing something similar. I never have found anything I really thought I'd like to use though. If you find something let us know.

I'm interested in seeing what ideas others come up with, like the pop-up idea above.

ChadTower

I don't think a popup would work where I live. I'd have to get something with a rigid frame. Winters here are absolute hell on popups.

Cappy

Buddy O'mine has a regular lil utility trailer like ya get anywhere, I borrow it on ocasion. When campig he throws a tarp over his gear simple as that. he has some aluminum dining fly legs he uses to set the trp up over the trailer when he sets up camp. Another guy in town has same trailer but he uses an ole pick up camper box on top of it. That works good and he has it hooked to trailor with a set of wing nuts and bolts for easy removal. i saw a guy tent camping in a state park, that had built a box outa ply wood over his utility trailer the tail gate and both sides hinged down and became counters suported by chains to the frame. He had it rigged up good: one side cooking, tail gate lawn chairs and stuff, other side rigged as a bar.:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Last edited:

wvbreamfisherman

I have a 4x8 utility trailer that I use to carry my canoe(s) and kayak and also for camping gear.

The box is wooden, and I raised the sides 12 inches to get more clearance for the tail of the canoe. I added eyebolts to hook tiedowns to, and stops and frames which hold the canoe or kayak in place.

I made some frames which bolt on and off for easy removal, and can easily carry four canoes or kayaks. I use the bed of the trailer ofr gear like paddles and lifejackets and also camping gear.

If I'm not carrying the canoes, I can throw a trap over it and keep it covered to keep gear dry. To keep it really dry, I use a tarp to line the bed, fold the sides over the load, and use another tarp as the cover.

One of these days, I'm going to build a modified teardrop camper module to drop on the trailer for cold weather camping.

I've also thought about making some aluminum frames out of light conduit and covering them with a tarp to make a sleeping space.

The possiblities are pretty well limited only by your imagination, and mechanical abilities.

ChadTower

Can you post pics of this? I'd love to see it.

MountainHomeCamper, I think that trailer is way too small for the return on the cost. You're far better off finding an older used one that's still solid and pretty it up a bit. You'll get a larger trailer that's better made that way.

wvbreamfisherman

Can you post pics of this? I'd love to see it.

MountainHomeCamper, I think that trailer is way too small for the return on the cost. You're far better off finding an older used one that's still solid and pretty it up a bit. You'll get a larger trailer that's better made that way.
Can who post pics? If you mean me, yeah- I'll have to get a few, but I need to get it outside and clean it up anyhow.

MountainHomeCamper

You are probably right. Looks really nice, but I've got too many things that look nice but just don't do the job.

frank6160

I have a 4X8 trailer I carry and keep my gear in. I use 2 large plastic bins for the majority of it with a smaller one I load and unload at the campsite. It has my kitchen gear. When I get home I cover it and my stuff stays ready to hook up and go. The only thing that goes in vehicle is cooler,food and clothes. They get loaded and unloaded every trip. I bought it used. Harbor Freight carries on like it for around $200.00.

CozInCowtown

Used popups can be had on the cheap, especially in the fall and winter.
I would love to build a teardrop for my camping needs if I could get the wife and daughter out of the 5th wheel.
That being said the 5th wheel we bought used and have had for years is perfect for our camping needs. It stays ready at a moments notice, just hook up the pickup, toss in some groceries and water and off we go! It is a 1985 Terry and is still in immaculate shape. It stays in the barn next to the tractors, bailer and some other stuff that I want out of the weather when not in use.

Last edited:

little billy

I use a 6x8 trailer, we bought rubbermaid bins and bungee cord the lids so they dont blow off. works great.

jackquontee

Perfect trailer for me

I recently have begun to purchase new camping equipment (Kodiak 10x14 tent, Disc-O-Beds, Big Buddy heater, tables, etc) and knew it was not going to be easy to carry in a GMC Terrain. Out of the blue I ran across a 3.5x5 trailer and spent a short time loading everything until I got it just right. So glad I found that trailer as loading and unloading will be so much easier.

BTW, I have enjoyed coming across this forum as much as I enjoyed finding this tralier I had wanted. I hope to be able to contribute as time goes by.

If I can remember tomorrow I'll take a pic and post it loaded loaded with gear, but here is one from the website where I found it:

Attachments

Last edited: