Snowmobiling and Frozen water

overtheridge

This really was my first year snowmobiling. I have gone out with my husband and friends about 5 times this winter. I'm still a beginner and a bit nervous - the others laugh at me.

My question is how do you tell or test water to be sure it's completely frozen before crossing it with your snowmobile? My husband just says - you just know. Well I don't, and I don't want to take any chances either.

How do you tell? Am I being too cautious?

outdoorsy

I don't think you are being too cautious. It's your life after all, if the water is not frozen and you and the sled fall through. I would not want to go on the water ever - but then again I'm a chicken.

I guess if you let the others cross before you then you know it's ok right?

overtheridge

That is what I am thinking too, it's my life. I don't see why we can't go around the water? It's not like it's a huge lake we are crossing. I just don't like it and I told my husband that I think I'm going to pass on riding that trail anymore.

I don't think we can judge how frozen the water is by other sleds going over it now, they might be breaking the ice and I could be the unlucky one to fall through.

Grandpa

Just this week, an 83 year old man and his dog went through the ice near here. Luckily, his friend got him and the dog out but he lost his sled and the trailer it was pulling.