Solar Showers?

LovingNature

Anyone here use them and are they worth buying? Looks like it would be a good idea if you are camping in the woods and want a good clean shower. Would probably need to bring more then one I guess. Anyone tried it?

firedancer

I have a 2.5 gallon one that was pretty cheap on Amazon (search Summer Shower). I've only used it on one trip, but for the low price, it was worth it. They are better suited for car camping than backpacking. You'll need to hang it above you because the pressure is from gravity and you might also want a shower tent if you don't want to bare all out in the open!

Lamebeaver

They sound kind of silly, but taking a nice warm shower to wash the dust off after a long day on the trail, well, it feels really good. If you're a bit on the modest side, you can purchase a shower tent for a pretty reasonable price, as FD mentioned, or you can just rig up one of those cheap blue tarps.

One 2.5 gal shower should be good for about 4 people.

Last edited:

BUUZBEE

Tent Camper :)
we have the old fashioned camp shower, the black & clear bag you hang from the tree to warm up... we dont use it for full on showers (hair), but just a quick body washing in between trips to the shower blocks. it does the job :)

rockytibby

We have one for car campimg. It holds 5 gallons of water, you just lay it out in the sun and it heats up. I have long hair down to the small of my back and it washes my hair just fine. Where we camp doesn't have any showers we always go to pretty primitive campgrounds. Just string up tarps or buy a shower tent. Its not very practicle for backpacking, just use a creek, river or lake.

Michael

I don't have one of these things, but I'd probably want to buy one if I was camping someone for more than a couple of days and I couldn't swim to get clean.

Grandpa

Son in law has the katadyne filter bag. On layover days, he has filled it in the morning, called it off limits for us water moochers and used it to take a warm shower in the afternoon.

freedommachine

Me and my wife had to and no only one of the 5 gallon solar showers. The thing is great for her. She has long hair so its enough to give her enough of a shower to shampoo and condition her hair and still be able to take a full bath. Plus we uses it also to wash our hands, dishes etc. Where we camp there is never any bathrooms, running tap water, just creeks, rivers and lakes with ice cold water. So it makes life easy to have hot water handy.

msdoolittle

We're in the market for a Sprinter Van and will be converting it to a camper. We'll be hooking up an outdoor shower and tapping into the water bottles for the sinke inside, but until then, I'm exploring getting a solar shower.

I'm still researching, but the reviews for them are all over the place; from good to terrible. They don't cost much money, so I'll probably just bite the bullet on one since it's only temporary. :)

LovingNature

well it sounds like it would be worth getting one especially if you are going to be where there are no showers. I like the 5 gal one for holding more water. Thanks for all your replies. :)