Starkey Nature Trails 6/6/09

jason

fear no beer
So I found my fiance's baby backpack carrier. So I told her and her kid I would take her out Saturday, instead of our bike ride. I was feeling a little sick waking up, but still felt well enough to go. So I packed up the kid and gear and headed over there. Got there shortly before 9am, and stopped at their info station. Talked to the guy there and he told me they have some Nature walk paths, a 2 mile, 3 mile and a 14 mile hiking path. They also gave me a map of the place showing all the trails.

As this was our first "hike" together (just the kid and me), and its already in the high 70's I decided the short nature walk would be best. So I drove over to the park spot and get everything ready. Made sure we had plenty of water, and off we went. The entrance is clearly marked, although the sign is rather small.

The trails were rather small. About 50% of the trail is single file, with maybe enough room to pass, although I would not recommend walking side by side with someone. Some of the area the palms are in the path way and you have to push them out of your way. The kid did good, and told her several times to put her head down and she would lean forward in her seat and put her head against mine. Not too shabby for a 16 month old. There were some spiders that I had to maneuver around. We did hear a lot of birds and saw a few, mostly cardinals unless it was the same one following us the whole time. I saw some marks on the path that looked like some of the wild boar were digging.

Over all it was a good trip. I wish I would have gotten more pictures. There were some wooded bridges that you could walk over that I tried taking pictures off. Sadly the camera was acting up. It might be time for a new one.

Here is a big tree we had to walk under.

One of the wider area of the path.

This is closer to what most of the path looked like

Here is Justice in her carrier.

I bought a new carrier for her. A beautiful Keilty one. I'm really spoiling her now. This thing came with a diaper changing mat and a sun/rain cover. I cannot wait to take her out in it. I'm thinking we will go again Saturday, if I can get over this cold. I think I will go along the hiking paths this time. I'm trying to keep things short. I don't want her to hate hiking, and it gets hot fast this time of year. I am hoping that in the fall we could do the 14 mile path. But we have to work up to that first.

katharina

I think I will go along the hiking paths this time. I'm trying to keep things short. I don't want her to hate hiking, and it gets hot fast this time of year. I am hoping that in the fall we could do the 14 mile path. But we have to work up to that first.
This looks like you had a great outing! And I agree that shorter is better to start... at least until she gets more used to it. I think it would take me a very long time to work up to a 14 mile hike. :)

jason

fear no beer
This looks like you had a great outing! And I agree that shorter is better to start... at least until she gets more used to it. I think it would take me a very long time to work up to a 14 mile hike. :)
Yeah, thats what I'm thinking too. I think the 14 mile may wait until around October or November. Most likely I will bring the wife then too. She could carry some food and we can make more of a full day out of with a nice picnic.