Stopped Smoking and feel crappy

IndianaHiker

Well had my last smoke 2 months ago. Would like to say that food taste better, I breath easier, I can hike hills easier, and that there is always a rainbow. However the reality is I feel like crap. I get winded more easily than I did before, wake up every morning coughing my head off, and wheezing like I have asthma. I am sure part of this is allergies, but not all if it is. So for those who have quit how long does this crap last. I got a 16 mile 4000 foot elevation gain hike in 2 weeks and it is going to kick my a$$ the way I feel now. Starting to think I should have waited until I completed that hike to stop.

oldsarge

Try interval running. Do a slow jog with sprints every now and then. We use to find a long stretch of road with telephone poles, then alternate sprints between every other pole. This help me with not getting so winded.

IndianaHiker

Damn working out. Get out of the Army in 96 and have been actively avoiding that every sense lol. You sound like my Doctor Oldsarge. She is in her late 50's and runs marathons.

ladymtnwalker

It's been nearly 9 years that I have been smoke free. The coughing you are talking about I think is all the crap that's been in your body and it's trying to get out. It will take time, but don't give up! I am rooting for you! 2 months is a great start. My co-workers on day 5. Poor me. :(

Gondor

My father quit smoking after 30 something years and didn't have any problems. Many recommend that you pay attentions to your diet to solve these problems you're having.

Boboque

I don't smoke and never have, but I'd like to add my congratulations to the mix! That's quite an accomplishment. Have you tried some over the counter allergy remedies? I use Zyrtec and it really helps me with the seasonal changes. You could also try a neti pot to clear all the pollen/allergens from your sinuses. It sounds bad at first but I've had some success with it. Good luck and I have no doubt you can do it. You've worked on this for two months now, don't give up.

Cappy

I quit a lil over 10 years ago, and it was the single hardest thing i've ever done. The coughing is your body detoxing and for me it lasted about 6 monthsslowly tapering off. more bad news: Since nicotene is a natural apetite supressent I gained 80 lbs,and they are being real tough to take off. I have managed to loose 30 or so of them over the last 2 years but it aint easy. I wish I could tell ya how much better i feel and i don't miss them but I cant. To this day when I smell someone smoking a pipe or a good cigar my mouth waters like someone took a pie outa the oven.

The good news: I don't wake up with smokers cough. My lung capasity went from 75% to 110 % for my age. I don't stink the dirty ashtray any more, and hopefully have eliminated several things that coulda killed me increasing my odds to make it to retirement.

It wS WORTH DOING AND i AM REALLY ROOTING FOR YA. KNOWING FULL WELL HOW TOUGH IT IS. CONGRATS.!!

IndianaHiker

Thanks for all the support appreciate that.

Honestly the stopping was easy. Yes had craving but honestly not a big problem my cravings were strong but only last 3 to 5 minutes even I can hang tough for that long. No weight gain so far either but with that being said I typically only eat once or twice a day and still do that. My diet sucked before and still sucks. Think the main reason I wanted to stop was to increase O2 level without doing cardio workouts as I hate working out. Yep I am lazy.

Cappy

As part of my job I am checked on an anual basis for lung capacity. I am fit tested and certified to use scba as part of the fire training to work on a boat pushing flamable liquids. I experianced a steady change for 3 years and went from 74% to 110% of the average based on age height and weight. In short quitting turned me into the Blow hard every one knew I was.

Pathfinder1

Hi...

Congratulations. And, don't give up. You WILL get through it okay.

I smoked a pack a day from age fourteen to age thirty. Quitting was easy, although that's when the weight gain started. I had another 'crutch' to fall back on, though...Copenhagen. Man, that was REALLY hard to quit, but I succeeded.

Been off of them all for many years now. Hang in there, okay?

oldsarge

Damn working out. Get out of the Army in 96 and have been actively avoiding that every sense lol. You sound like my Doctor Oldsarge. She is in her late 50's and runs marathons.
Oh...I don't this now, I used to do it! Just thought I'd share a little something. I truly feel better over all if I have been working out. I don't mean those Army death runs at 0500. At 55 I have lightened up quite a bit, light stretching and weights, some work on the heavy bag and that's about it. As of now I'm not doing anything due to a rotator cuff issue. Next week I'll be finding out if I need surgery. I too need to lay off those cigars, I've been going way to strong on those lately.

Judy Ann

Kudos on quitting smoking! Since you are going for a healthier YOU, cardio workouts might be something to consider.

Mudslide

"I had another 'crutch' to fall back on, though...Copenhagen. Man, that was REALLY hard to quit, but I succeeded.

Been off of them all for many years now. Hang in there, okay?"

This was me. I was up to 2 packs a day for nine years until I quit. Deceived myself into thinking copenhagen wouldnt be bad to wean myself off of the old sticks. Took me 16 yrs to quit that and STILL want one or the other at times when Im in the woods!! You'll be fine though....gaining weight is better than cancer!

Pathfinder1

"I had another 'crutch' to fall back on, though...Copenhagen. Man, that was REALLY hard to quit, but I succeeded.

Been off of them all for many years now. Hang in there, okay?"

This was me. I was up to 2 packs a day for nine years until I quit. Deceived myself into thinking copenhagen wouldnt be bad to wean myself off of the old sticks. Took me 16 yrs to quit that and STILL want one or the other at times when Im in the woods!! You'll be fine though....gaining weight is better than cancer!

Hi...

Well put, Mudslide...!!

IndianaHiker

Kudos on quitting smoking! Since you are going for a healthier YOU, cardio workouts might be something to consider.
Trying to avoid the working out that why I quit lol. I know getting older and sooner or latter going to have to start doing that if I want to keep backpacking but trying to put it off for as long as possible. Gee the next thing someone will suggest I eat healthy and get more than 4 hours of sleep a night. Not sure I could handle that much of a life style change :)

wvbreamfisherman

Have you been checked for chronic bronchitis? That can be a long-term consequence of smoking.

If not that, all I can advise is aerobic exercise to expand your lungs fully and build up their capacity.

Grandpa

Congrats Indiana, I hope you make it through the tobacco kick. Drink lots of fluids, especially orange juice.