Substance To Hide Human Smell?

Boboque

I've seen the soap and stuff they sell to mask your human odor sold in the stores. But the stuff doesn't seem to work or maybe I'm particularly smelly. What do you use to mask your scent as much as possible?

ppine

Forester
Use vegetation in the habitat you are in. The more aromatic the better. Sage, spruce and pine work fine and can be rubbed on clothing. Avoid smelly soap, deodorant, and shampoo before you go out there. Sometimes I use a little apple or orange peel rubbed on the shoes.

The other good way to get close to wildlife is to ride a horse or mule. They have plenty of scent and walk with 4 feet. The good ones spot game before you do. I have been within 10 feet of coyotes and even closer to deer and elk on mules.

Last edited:

wvbreamfisherman

Interesting article in Field and Stream a month or two ago. They used a number of scents, and a dog. They found that none of them actually made the human scent unusuable - the dog found the person every time.

Product Test: Cover Scents Work Better Than Odor Reducers | Field & Stream

That said, I imagine that cover scents do have some usefulness, but like scent-lock clothing (also shown not to fool dogs), I think they mostly fool customers.

Grandpa

A bear can tell the difference between pork and beans and kidney beans while they are still in the can........from 3 miles away:tinysmile_twink_t2:

You can't mask your scent, just create other smells. If this is for hunting a herbivore type animal, go on a total vegetarian diet for a month to get the meat out of your system. They will still know your exact location but be less afraid of you.

Last edited:

LunaticFringeInc

Being a Bow Hunter I have to get close!!! I also occasionally run a trap line too. I am not sold on any of "Magic Potions", Soaps or Charcol impregnated clothing being all that effective. You definitely dont want to use scented soaps/shampoos or deorderant either...might as well put up a blinking neon sign!

I think your best bet is to minimize your scent to the best of your ability by using unscented soap, good camo, keep still and pay attention to prevailing winds. If you can hunt from a stand then thats even better. Getting your stand higher up off the ground will also help disperse your scent in the atmosphere keeping it away better from the ground where your quarry will most likely be will help too.

In my area cedar is quiet common and I keep my hunting clothes and Ghillie Suits in a card board box with some cedar limbs. I often use some cover scents such as Raccoon or Squirrel as well in a effort to get game animals to turn their "situational awareness knob" down a notch or two and not be so skitish. When I am hunting a stand I get there well in advance of shooting times inorder to give any game I spooked hiking in a chance to settle down.

Judy Ann

Old boyfriend got upset on a regular basis that I saw more deer sitting in a stand in a swamp than he did with all of his camo gear especially since I ate peanuts, took pictures and would not sit still. Maybe it was because I'm female and smelled better than he did! Moral of the story: Don't teach a lady to hunt if you aren't prepared to be out hunted. We broke up because I would not shoot a doe with her yearling...that was the last straw...

Pathfinder1

Interesting article in Field and Stream a month or two ago. They used a number of scents, and a dog. They found that none of them actually made the human scent unusuable - the dog found the person every time.

That said, I imagine that cover scents do have some usefulness, but like scent-lock clothing (also shown not to fool dogs), I think they mostly fool customers.

Hi...

Yes, that was an interesting article.

Greatoutdoors

We just buy the Scent away stuff they sell at Walmart and hubby hasn't had any trouble getting up close and personal with a few deer. The stuff we got had three or four things in it, laundry detergent, some kind of spray, and I honestly don't remember the other two things.

Boboque

Thanks guys. I thought it was just me. The cover scents sound like the best bet. I'm not sure I want to be a vegetarian for any reason except I can't catch anything though. Good article too BTW.

Grandpa

How up close and personal do you want? I was fixin some oatmeal for breakfast one morning and this lady and several of her friends were standing within 10 feet watching me.
[/IMG]

Her boyfriend was a little more bashful but he still came within 50 feet

[/IMG]

bsmit212

In addition to that article. Mythbusters actually did this one once. They were trying to see if they could fool a dog trying to track them. The thing that worked the best was trying to confuse the dog with other smells, but were found everytime.

Tubby

Honestly, I don't do a whole lot except to use old fashioned lye soap and no other scented products. The lye soap has no scent and honestly, I think it really strips off a lot of my "human" scent. I also have learned to sit still and look.