Taking my wife camping

Roybrew

Well I went and asked my wife if she wanted to go camping. She hasn't been camping since she was a Brownie in the girl scouts, yep long time ago, and it didn't go very well. We've been married for almost 36 year. We like alot of the same things, morning canoeing, boating on the lake, hiking, bicycling, antique stores, historical sites and things like that, but I've never taken her camping in a tent. She likes cabins and Historical hotels, as long as they don't have hot and cold running bed bugs. It's always been one of those things that I did with out her because she never showed any interest in it, and has stated, a few times in the past, that it must be awful to stay in a tent with no climate control. I think we have a great relationship, and get along well.

Help! What do I do with her? When I go alone or with my brother, we don't worry about "entertaining" each other. I want her to be comfortable, and enjoy it.

We will be staying in a camp ground with bath houses, so that's a plus.

I don't know what kind of advice I'm looking for.

Northern Dancer

I had some similar feelings when I took my "boss" out last year. What I'm I going to do with this guy? I didn't have a clue about his experience or what he had done in the past. On top of that, he was the boss. So after fretting about it for a period of time it came to me that I just had to be myself. I suppose that could be a problem - but we are talking about camp.

So what to do? I planned ahead for three nights and four days. I submitted a menu plan and allowed him to have a say in that and the activity he thought he would enjoy. Walla - it all went fine. Since I was supplying the equipment those needs were met though I provided a suggested clothing list, In this situation, I also provided him with a private tent. It all worked out very well and we were able to get away for another trip this year. I used time tested recipes to wow him with my outdoor culinary art and demonstrated my camping expertise. :Whistling:

Cappy

our compromise was a small 18 ft ultra lite camper. All the comforts of home bug free environment with the all important AC for the deep south where we mostly camp. camp grounds in the south boon docking in the cooler months and moochdocking offn the kids when we go visit. She loves it now. Being a celiac(allergic to wheat) She can bring her own private kitchen and much prefers that and her own bed to hotels etc. Tents and primitive camping is out and as I age getting up ofn the ground to pee twice a night looses its appeal. Over the years we have become happy campers those ole tacky camp ground folk. It's not the wilds of my youth but there are some great spots out there.

Grandpa

Grandma puts up with a lot tagging along with me, but two things make it worthwhile for her. A warm bed and good food. If you're sleeping in a tent, a cot, with A good pad under it, and a warm, cozy bag so she gets a good night's sleep. Then a good breakfast when she gets up and she'll be a happy camper all day.

Roybrew

Thanks you all. It sounds silly worrying about it. I do like the separate tent idea. Ha don't think that would go over very well.

I have kicked around the idea of getting a small pull behind. It would be convenient. I've camped in a pop up a few times. They are easy to pull, but they do have disadvantages.

She already has chosen the cushy air mattress. I don't think it's large enough for both of us, humm [emoji848]maybe that's why she has chosen that?

Couple of weeks to go. I'm hoping the weather cools off some. It hit close to 90 degrees today. The nights have been hovering between mid 60s to mid 70s.

Cappy

ok some light reading for ya about how we roll with our lil 18 ft camper:

give ya a good example of road tripping and camping Cappy and Peggy style

Roybrew

That was a great read. Love looking at the pictures of all the food. Looks like you all had a great time. Thanks for the write up and pictures.

Cappy

You very welcome. We have many stories of camping adventures that is a good example. We dont go as far always and often we have the boat with us but we enjoy our camper

ppine

Forester
I have faced this issue since I was in college. It was important to me, so when I met a woman I liked, I would take her camping after awhile and it would answer a lot of questions.

In order to have a chance to take her camping again, you need to do some planning. You need a place that is beautiful. the right temperature, and with not too many people. Make it comfortable. Add some extra pillows, blankets and padding. Bring some good chairs. Bring good booze. Have a fire if you can. The food should be really good and you should make it. Most reasonable women are happy with such a set up. Some of them need to bathe a lot, so having that provision is good. I just bring a solar shower.

Have some activities planned like a short hike, a drive to the overlook, going out after dinner to watch the deer and waterfowl.
You have been at this a long time Roybrew, you know what to do, you just have to put some thought into it.

Roybrew

Thanks ppine. You all have great advice. I better start planing I guess. Don't know how many nights we'll stay it all depends on the weather.

Roybrew

Yes sir I agree. 2 to 3 nights would be best. Going to have to reschedule this for another time. I think you all for your advice.

Cappy

One of the things I loved bout driving a tug for a living was when ya off ya off for 2 weeks. Thats how we could take those 1500 mile from home road trips. Also how we could take time setting up.

Roybrew

The off days would be great, but I'm sure the time at work would seem like forever. I just can't understand why some wealthy people that don't have to work are so miserable. Maybe it's the drudgery of a job that makes a person enjoy their days off?

I'm off from work this coming week, so it's take the wife camping thing. It's on again. This time we are taking the canoe. It will be it's maiden voyage. I hope it doesn't sink.

Roybrew

modified the seat back, from my other canoe, to fit the seats in my new canoe. Trying to keep the wife comfortable.
had to work on my trailer lights, next ones will be LEDs.
washed the truck this morning, and got camping stuff loaded. Going to a lake near Bristol TN. Only an hour and a half away, but we need to start somewhere. Don't know how many nights we'll stay, but we'll make these of it.

Cappy

back in the day I had a very simular rig. truck was 4x4 and had a camper on back. box trailer was a pop up canoe was aluminum so maybe not that simular after all.:beer3:

Roybrew

We are there.
the canoe is on its maiden voyage.
bright and sunny outside. I didn't expect it to be this warm.
nice sandy area to beach the canoe.

Roybrew

Here's the money shots.
check out my new hat.
Naomi likes the front seat area.
there I be. Getting late and cooling off.