Talking about "sticks"

Northern Dancer

I'm talking about walking/hiking, stick/staff.

When Robert Baden-Powell devised his scheme of Scout citizenship training for boys, published in 1908 in Scouting for Boys, he recommended that Scouts should carry "a strong stick, about as high as your nose, marked in feet and inches for measuring". After listing the various uses to which the staff could be put, he added "If you get the chance, cut your own staff, but remember to get permission first".

I use to think of them as being "dorky" but I've changed my mind when someone bought me one as a gift. I now have three that I use, depending upon the conditions of the terrain that I find myself. Do you use one? And if you do what kind of uses did you find helpful? I have a simple one made of plain pine, one that has a carved bear on top and one that was carved from a maple tree branch.

One of the people whose talent I really respect is Mike Stinnett, a master craftsman. His attention to detail is phenomenal.

3318 3319
I have a few medallions on one staff - I would like to have more but they are hard to come by.

3320 This is the one I frequently use.

ppine

Forester
I really like walking poles for backpacking.
The older I get the more a hiking stick makes sense. So far at 71 I don't use one for day hiking, but probably will at some point.

Thomas H

Bibsoutdoors
I like them a bit taller than nose level. Mine are roughly 7 feet long. They are made out of Chinese Wax Wood. Super strong and they make a wonderful Bo staff as well as a walking stick.

Roybrew

I'm hoping this year to use my walking staff more, which means more hiking.IMG_20220212_190159722~2.jpg here they are leaning in the corner. Mine is made from a dogwood tree that died in our yard. It's very hard and a little heavy, but very sturdy and dependable. My wife's is made from a laurel bush. We found it at rainbow falls trail head. Someone broke it off the bush and left it. I wish people wouldn't destroy a pretty laurel. My wife likes how light it is and the crook fits in her hand nicely.IMG_20210509_122142762~3.jpg a good walking stick comes in handy.2018082595101112~2.jpg this was either below Laurel falls or coon den falls, I can't remember which.Resized952020110695135733~2.jpg this is up in the Channels Preserve above Abingdon Virginia. I did squeeze through that crevice. My wife joked about having to push me thru there with my walking stick[emoji849] I proved to her that my belly would squish down enough, barely.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Northern Dancer

I'm hoping this year to use my walking staff more, which means more hiking.View attachment 3321 here they are leaning in the corner. Mine is made from a dogwood tree that died in our yard. It's very hard and a little heavy, but very sturdy and dependable. My wife's is made from a laurel bush. We found it at rainbow falls trail head. Someone broke it off the bush and left it. I wish people wouldn't destroy a pretty laurel. My wife likes how light it is and the crook fits in her hand nicely.View attachment 3322 a good walking stick comes in handy.View attachment 3323 this was either below Laurel falls or coon den falls, I can't remember which.View attachment 3324 this is up in the Channels Preserve above Abingdon Virginia. I did squeeze through that crevice. My wife joked about having to push me thru there with my walking stick[emoji849] I proved to her that my belly would squish down enough, barely.

-----> Great Stuff! It's a Saturday night - temperatures are dropping like crazy so I'm downloading "campy" music so I can play it [quietly] on my Bluetooth down by the lake or at the fire site some summer evening. I wonder? If by chance, if we were ever to get together what kind of music we could play as a group? No, I don't mean music, music, I mean...like shenanigans we could get into.

Roybrew

Hey ND. I'm to boring. I don't know maybe a drum circle or something. I've heard of those. Group of people get together and beat on home made drums? Do like they do at football games and paint our selves all different colors ?

Roybrew

I bought a blue tooth speaker and hooked on the thwart of my canoe when some buddies and I drifted a river, last year. I was loudly playing dueling banjos as we drifted along.1627649426163~2.jpg That and some good ole blue grass music. If I'm running down the lake in the motor boat,IMG_20210930_182228232.jpg I like some good rock and roll like some Rolling Stones Jumping Jack Flash. When I'm mellowing out in campIMG_20201006_183010179~2.jpg I can go for so Lyndsey Sterling or some good violin and piano music. Anything except this new country stuff or rap.

Attachments

Super_Jenny

Is it better to have the stick that fold or collapse into themselves? Or is it just preference?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Northern Dancer

Is it better to have the stick that fold or collapse into themselves? Or is it just preference?
Thanks

-----> I use my staff [walking stick] in the wilderness. As well as using for the intended purpose it could be used as a weapon, reaching rescue stick, part of tre-pod for over the fire, a flag pole for signalling help, two together [with coat or heavy sweater] can make a hearty stretcher to take an injured person out, and a fishing rod. :Smile2:

Welcome to Outdoor Basecamp.

Super_Jenny

-----> I use my staff [walking stick] in the wilderness. As well as using for the intended purpose it could be used as a weapon, reaching rescue stick, part of tre-pod for over the fire, a flag pole for signalling help, two together [with coat or heavy sweater] can make a hearty stretcher to take an injured person out, and a fishing rod. :Smile2:

Welcome to Outdoor Basecamp.
Hopefully it won’t come to that haha but thanks for your help :)