Tearing into the 1953 Old Town Guide 18

ppine

Forester
With all of this time on my hands, I have started repairing the cedar and canvas Old Town. The canvas is off and I am repairing some of the planking. Next the outwales come off and I start taking out some old busted ribs. A lot of sanding is required. Removing the varnish on the inside is proving to be difficult. It is so dry in Nevada, the stripper evaporates before it does much good. I ordered a heat gun. After new ribs of white cedar are steam bent they will be secured with brass canoe tacks.

Once the repairs are done, I am going to cover the outside of the hull with clear fiberglass and several coast of epoxy to fill the weave. Then varnish for UV protection. Working on the canoe is keeping my sane. That and camping in the backyard. Stay safe everyone.

Roybrew

Awesome! I know nothing of canvas covering. Do you put an epoxy over the canvas like you would fiberglass? Why not replace the canvas? Sorry if these sound like stupid questions. I've only began to learn wood stripping, fiberglass, epoxy and differences of varnish and urathanes.

ppine

Forester
Traditional canoe building since the 1890s. It was the next step after birch bark. Canvas can be tacked on over the wood frame. Then the canvas is "filled" to fill the weave. People used to use white lead. Now they use linseed oil, mixed with fillers and secret ingredients. After sanding they are normally painted.

I love the planking on the OT, so I am planning the clear glass with epoxy. Canvas requires stretching. I don't have a shop or barn. I would like to see the wood. OT at the end of the last run of wood canoes offered them in canvas or clear fiberglass for the same price, around $5,800.

ppine

Forester
After talking with some people that repair this boats a lot and have experience, I am back to canvas instead of clear fiberglass. All of the cracks between the planks and all the hammer blossoms have to be filled in order to use fibergalss. The process adds a lot of weight and is a lot of work. Canvas is easier and traditional. I will attach on set of clamps to a tree and one to my truck and stretch it that way.

Roybrew

How long do you have to stretch it? I've read about people draping the canvas over the hull and attaching weights or bungie cords to pull the canvas. Interesting.