The New Camping Mistakes We Make

ppine

Forester
Mistakes in the outdoors can become serious. They make a strong impression and I never want to repeat them.

Northern Dancer

I re-read your post "Pine" and I found myself disagreeing with you and the question of lists. But, then again you are an experienced outdoorsman. For the beginner, a list might be helpful. I know when I go grocery shopping I don't take a list. I'm well-versed with what I need. When I'm heading out I have four sets of equipment already organized and depending on what I'm doing I take the appropriate pile of stuff. I don't have any problem when I'm solo - but involved in a group? It's a different matter. :Smile2:

Northern Dancer

Who forgets to bring food?
----->I was invited by a group to come along as Chaplain and First Aid/Safety guy. Guess what? The "list" was divided into two parts. One group forgot to bring their portion of the food and the Trip Master forgot to check. I know there are tonnes of people who forget things. I have -things like razors and soap etc. but nothing that was going to interfere with a trip. But I've been surprised by what people do and what they don't do. "...but it's all in the game."

Hope you are doing super well. I have a winter camp in February and I can't be any more organized than I am.

Roybrew

Who forgets to bring food?
Umm well. I guess it's a good idea to do what Dancer said about dividing the list.

One day, many moons ago, my brother and I got to our camping spot, and low and behold, we thought each other was bringing the food. I had cooking pans and such in my tote, and some oatmeal and ramen noodles. We caught some fish to supplement. We could've bugged out back to civilization, but we figured we needed to loose a little weight. It never happened again.
Roy

Northern Dancer

We all have had peculiar experiences from forgetting tents, the cot, and even the wallet - with the registration form. Frustrating at the time, they become the stories around the campfire. Being in an organized campsite means nearby somewhere are the things you need. When you are on a canoe trip it becomes a different story. It's true what you say Roybrew - sometimes we can do without.

When there is a group of us, sitting around the campfire, it's a great time to remember and laugh at ourselves. Try this the next time you have a group around the fire. "Let's talk about funny things." You start by sharing a truly funny experience and then invite others to share. There were times that I laughed so hard my stomach ached.