The Shoot The Bull Thread

ppine

Forester
Nice photo. The lights are definitely on in that picture. Young dogs seem to tolerate a harness much earlier than a leash around the neck. Only put it on them when you plan to use the leash, because they tend to gnaw at them.

I like the spotted nose which tends to darken over time. Jolie has the typical marking on the top of the head. My dog has a slightly larger one. I was in a store with my dog and a local Pauite looked at her and said "Your dog has a feather on her head. That is Good Medicine."

Cappy

peggy says her nose resembles mickey mouse in a Rorschach sorta way. She is adjusting well to her collar and doesn't even notice it any more. The harness was a different story. We may try it again in a few weeks but sh is comfortable in the collar for mow. She is afraid of the leash but i am working with her and she is learnig fast. Being able to leash Beaux had her seeing his excitement has helped lots.

ppine

Forester
Borders are the Kings of the dog world.
On the Seventh Day God Created Border Collies.

Ruby is 3 today and no longer a puppy.

Cappy

Happy birthday Ruby!!:Party: By that girl a pork chop!!! Jolie has learned the joy of a tennis ball she is chasing it around the house playing. I took the first step at fetch but she was having so much fun i didn't push it. Peg says we will take your advice and order her a harness with her name and my phone number when she gets bigger. We will use one of Beaux's harness with the right number till she grows outa it. I showed her your post and she agrees. so I am out numbered:Mad:

Northern Dancer

...it's like experiencing child raising all over again. Only things happen a lot faster and there is a certain kinship that develops like no other. Reese has been gone a year now and I mourn over him like a brother.

Strong, courageous, fun loving, faithful and majestic.

Cappy

our first dog has been gone 3 years and like the lod song bo jangles says we still grieve.
we were not looking for a dog but how could we pass this cute girl up. we lost our second dog a month ago and or lil bratty Bichon Bo was obviously depressed. So we got ehr a week ago.

Cappy

LSU vs Bama tonight. I have beer in da fridge and just got home with a bucket of fried chicken so its on!!! Louisiana Saturday night!!:Clap2::beer1::beer3::beer5:

Simplify

When I was a kid my dog and I had a language between us. Certain words in certain tones of voice would elicit a response. Eventually she learned to emulate the sounds and actions to try to tell me what she wanted. If I said 'want to go outside' in a certain tone of voice she would immediately go crazy and head toward the door. She would push open my bedroom door at night and wait. When I said 'C'mon up' in a certain tone of voice she would jump up on the bed and curl up in a ball at the foot of the bed and so on. She would eventually start coming to me and try to emulate those tones and facial expressions to let me know what she wanted.

Cappy

They are lots smarter than they get credit for and all have unique personalities. Our old Bichon God rest him knew and responded to many words and gestures. If he was sitting in the chair ya wanted and ya gestered to the side he would move over and give ya room if ya pointed at the floor he would reluctantly hop down. He understood the words move and down as well. Show him his leash and he would try to claw the door down with excitement. Already in bed when you come in point at the foot of the bed say move he would get up walk there and wait for ya to get settled before he re settled. On and on This lil pup only 9 weeks old today is learning at a furious rate. She is still all puppy teeth and tail but we couldn't be happier with her so far.

Cappy

Sitting out with a cup o coffee i discovered a new rooster in the hood. he aint quite got his cockadodle down yet but it was fun listening to him practice. a crow was not amused and fussing him. The 2 mocking birds aint up yet they really go to it with large song lists and usually each do a couple sets. the show offs.

ppine

Forester
This time of year the Great Horned Owls are back. I was typing on the keyboard yesterday and a Coopers Hawk landed in the locust tree. We have a Golden Eagle that roosts in the neighbors cottonwood and a lot of RTHs. Red Tailed Hawks. I really look forward to the Christmas Bird Count with my birding friends.

Northern Dancer

When I was a kid my dog and I had a language between us. Certain words in certain tones of voice would elicit a response. Eventually she learned to emulate the sounds and actions to try to tell me what she wanted. If I said 'want to go outside' in a certain tone of voice she would immediately go crazy and head toward the door. She would push open my bedroom door at night and wait. When I said 'C'mon up' in a certain tone of voice she would jump up on the bed and curl up in a ball at the foot of the bed and so on. She would eventually start coming to me and try to emulate those tones and facial expressions to let me know what she wanted.
-------------------------------------> :)
I know what you mean - I used exclusive command words and gestures. Reese was trained not to receive food from a right hand - only the left and he didn't take it either until he heard the word grace. In fact he didn't eat until I said "grace". He responded immediately to two hand pats across the chest, two clicks or two claps and would come galloping across the field.

Simplify

Some of my best growing up memories were from my dog. I was a reclusive introvert and never fit in socially so my relationship with my dog became a social life for me. It was a good social life also. Dogs are always there and will love people no matter what.

Northern Dancer

Some of my best growing up memories were from my dog. I was a reclusive introvert and never fit in socially so my relationship with my dog became a social life for me. It was a good social life also. Dogs are always there and will love people no matter what.
---------------------------------------> :)
...isn't that true? They are marvellous creatures in every way. You know...this site should have a place to talk/share things about dogs and other animals gracing our lives.

Reese checking out a school of fish.

ppine

Forester
Dogs and horses are honest. That makes them valuable to have around. If you allow it, you will learn a lot about yourself working with them.

Years ago my Mom now deceased, told me "you have a lot more patience now." I told her it was mule training that taught me about the P word.

Cappy

Maybe I am so very impatient years of being a boat Captain and no mules to train. Of course many a deck hand made me wonder.:rolleyes:

jason

fear no beer
...I don't know what we did right/wrong but we had 75 children - big and small clambering up the steps of the house. We went through boxes of mixed mini chocolate bars faster than a bear eating honey. Remember the ol' days when you got to Mrs. Peters's house as soon as you could to get that candy taffy apple or over to Mrs. Davenport's place to get the home made fudge? Oh, ya, don't forget Sandra's home baked cookies - that never made it home. And candy kisses - got tonnes of those suckers...err I mean candies.

Not like is use to be is it? :)
We go to my brothers neighborhood. Usually there is someone with hotdogs, another with popcorn, sometimes someone will have a snow cone, and usually cotton candy is at someones house.

Northern Dancer

We go to my brothers neighborhood. Usually there is someone with hotdogs, another with popcorn, sometimes someone will have a snow cone, and usually cotton candy is at someones house.
-------------------------------------------> :)
WOW...that's great stuff. Let me see...I bet that is in a rural or semi rural area where people know their neighbours? Whatever - it sounds like a great neighbourhood.