The Shoot The Bull Thread

Northern Dancer

...the canoe is gorgeous "Roybrew! Looking forward to seeing the finished product. What is really impressive is the design - it's unique...I've never seen anything like it.

Cappy

One of my Dad's hobbies was making walking sticks like your wife is using. He always had a sharp hatchet with him and he would come hoe with a few every trip out doors. He would cut them and ready them by the bucket full and bring them to the old folks homes and pass them out. He would sit on the back porch working on tehm then hang them on a clothes line to seal and varnish.

Northern Dancer

...that's a great legacy "Cappy". Did you manage to pick up that skill?

And you are right "Roybrew - I have three waking sticks that I refer to as a staff. I use to think they were dorky but I now find them really helpful especially going over rough terrain or coming down over a rocky side.

This is my carved Algonquin Staff made by a friend. I have some of those hiker medals on it.

Roybrew

Yes walking staffs are great for hiking. I used to think they were just for cruising along on mild grades or level ground, but I found out how wrong I was when we hiked a falls trail one day. We didn't do much hiking before then, I don't why cause this area has so much to offer. But that first short hike we did I believe it was called Red Fork falls. It is near the foot of Unaka MTN where the AT passes through. It was a short hike but it was very steep. The laurels were thick and the trail was rooted, rocky and wet. My wife would use it to climb down 5 or 6 feet then pass it back to me, and I would follow. We did that part of the way down and back up. I also use it in pictures so a person may be able to tell the size or scope of the object I'm taking the picture of. I guess my dogwood staff is to me like the whip is to Indiana Jones.

Roybrew

It has been a good afternoon.
I did some spot filling yesterday, and I finish sanded this morning
I covered the inside with the fiberglass cloth, which took me a good hour to smooth out.
mixed my epoxy and started saturating the cloth
my wife snuck down and took my picture
hard parts done, I think?

Northern Dancer

It has been a good afternoon.
I did some spot filling yesterday, and I finish sanded this morning
I covered the inside with the fiberglass cloth, which took me a good hour to smooth out.
mixed my epoxy and started saturating the cloth
my wife snuck down and took my picture
hard parts done, I think?
-----> Looking classy!

Roybrew

Thank you. I've just rolled on my 1st fill coat. I won't add another one cause I don't want it to slick on the bottom inside.

Cappy

Time to drag my ole boat outa da weeds got it hitched to the jeep for a trip to the local shop new tires buddy bearings and trailer wiring. gonna drop er off in the morning. After that I'll drag it to town for new bimini top tune up and some steps put in on the bow its 2 ft step up to the bow seat and trolling motor snf I am too old and chubby to make that step more than a few times. having 2 steps put in and that should help. its bust out another thousand out time but that aughta set me for up for the forseeable future

Northern Dancer

...my "bay-bee" is launched this Monday for a three-week excursion - nothing more to do than put it on the rack and drive due north.

-----> waiting with bated breath to see "Roybrew's" creation comes to fruition.

Cappy

So headed out this morning to drag the boat to western auto for tires and such got in jeep and found rear view mirror on the floor it came unglued and fell off windshield. ARRRRG went back in for another cup of coffee and am now regrouping

Cappy

ok so got the boat over and parked got the mirror hanger metal thing glued back to windshield the glue needs to dry fore I slide the mirror on.

Roybrew

...my "bay-bee" is launched this Monday for a three-week excursion - nothing more to do than put it on the rack and drive due north.

-----> waiting with bated breath to see "Roybrew's" creation comes to fruition.
Wow 3 weeks! Fabulous! I do have a question about your baby, how do you pronounce Souris? That is a fine looking boat ya got. You better take pictures, and if you ain't got any good stories to tell you got 3 weeks to make some up. Ha. Have a great trip.

Roybrew

So headed out this morning to drag the boat to western auto for tires and such got in jeep and found rear view mirror on the floor it came unglued and fell off windshield. ARRRRG went back in for another cup of coffee and am now regrouping
We used to have a Western Auto. I bought my first 10 speed bicycle there in 1978, man that was a while back.
I like my motor boat, but sometimes I wish I could write it off on my taxes like a dependent. We went out last weekend. There was a nice cool breeze. Fishing wasn't good, and my wife fell asleep on the back of the boat.
found a beaver den up in one of the creeks.

I used the center thwart from my Madriver canoe for a template and cut it out of a piece of cherry.
I started on my deck plates but was unsure about fitting them inside of my inwales, so I added a strip of walnut and figured I would rabbit cut the underside so it would fit inside my inwales while covering them.
Sort of making this up as I go along.

Northern Dancer

Wow 3 weeks! Fabulous! I do have a question about your baby, how do you pronounce Souris? That is a fine looking boat ya got. You better take pictures, and if you ain't got any good stories to tell you got 3 weeks to make some up. Ha. Have a great trip.
----> Now, that's a very good question. How do you pronounce Souris? It's a French word and the canoe is named after the Souris River - so I tend to say "sore-is". They are made in Atikokan Ontario.

Atikokan (Ojibwe for "caribou bones") is a town in the Rainy River District in Northwestern Ontario, Canada. The population was 2,753 as of the 2016 census. The town is one of the main entry points into Quetico Provincial Park and promotes itself as the "Canoeing Capital of Canada".

Cappy

Oh the western auto name is gone but it is still like the same kinda place small town hardware with a mechanic shop. Picked up the boat yesterday and got it in the yard sitting on a reworked trailer 3 new tires new packed bearings and the trailer lights fixed. 420$ today I am going to unhook it from the jeep hook it to the suv and we will drag it to town tomorrow. That way we can run errands on the way home. The jeep could drag it over the river no problem but has no ac. Taking the suv instead so sweety pie can come too. Well on the way to the last letter in B.O.A.T.

Roybrew

Yeh I bet it is a bit warm down there. Thinking I go up to a higher altitude lake on Thursday. They are known for walleye and lake trout. Of course I don't expect to catch any[emoji19]. Supposed to be some meteor showers during this week. Maybe have good viewing there after dark, if I can get wife to stay out that late. Glad I took a couple of vacation days from work this week.