The Shoot The Bull Thread

Cappy

Well I did it. Drug the boat to the repair shop for motor tweek, dash board rewire, new shade top. and some steps put in on the bow. It;s in their hands now all I can do is sweat. Speaking of that I picked and processed 12 pomegranates and got the seeds in the freezer pretty good chore getting them out of there. Now is siesta time. down on humidity coast and I am hiding in te ac waiting on shade when I will go harvest a dish pan full of muscadyne grapes.

Roybrew

Cappy, you got the pomegranates or the seeds in the freezer? Wife said getting around the seeds is a real pain.

We hit Watagua lake early Thursday morning. I'm sure there is plenty of good fishing, but I couldn't get a nibble. Beautiful lake tho.
I love the mountains around this lake.
Nice camping spot on an island.
Calm area to beach the boat.

Been making some progress on the canoe
Got the decks on
and started cutting my seat frame from an ash log.

Cappy

I pull the seeds outa the poms and freeze just them that way they ready for jelly making time this fall. from there we can just pour out a measured amount for a batch of jelly. Your wife is right. Imagine getting them out of a dozen at a time. Good thing the jelly is so amazingly good. That makes it worth the effort to see folks faces when they taste it.

Today is wash all the mold off the trailer day and if I have time or energy left there are a couple more big poms to pick liberate the seeds and add them to the others waiting their turn for the jelly days

Cappy

Got the gen all checked out and pre run checked all propane bottles filled and checked plenty of groceries like usual. tub full of water. So we ready for what the Lord has for us. When we loose power in the house I loose internet but dont worry yall yall know this ole country boy can survive

Cappy

The storm missed us thank God. passed 30 miles west of us and we didn't even loose power so alls well. The humidity is so high ya dont need to carry water just a straw. We are off to a funeral but hope to begin putting the yard back to normal this afternoon

Roybrew

Glad ya missed a lot of it. You still need to make up a big ole story of how that hurricane ripped thru. I don't mean to tell a fib or anything, but you could sort of build the events a little more. Makes great stories.

Roybrew

Made a set of seats out of an ash tree from my neighbors yard. The tree stood dead for about a year and this caused fungus in the wood leaving some black lines, spalted. It was pretty being white ash with black lines running through it, but it wasn't very structurally sound.
I broke one when I put weight on it. I'm now making them out of walnut.

Roybrew

We took a morning paddle on a local waterway.
We put in at Beech Creek.
paddled out to Holston River. Well at least someone paddled.
We paddled up stream and across the river, and into the mouth of Big Creek. We sat and admired the beaver den for awhile. Beavers are great builders.
we paddled as far up the creek as we could. By this time it was starting to get hot, so we made our way back to the river, and into the creek that we started from.
Loaded the canoe and went home to our comfortable air conditioning.

Northern Dancer

We took a morning paddle on a local waterway.
We put in at Beech Creek.
paddled out to Holston River. Well at least someone paddled.
We paddled up stream and across the river, and into the mouth of Big Creek. We sat and admired the beaver den for awhile. Beavers are great builders.
we paddled as far up the creek as we could. By this time it was starting to get hot, so we made our way back to the river, and into the creek that we started from.
Loaded the canoe and went home to our comfortable air conditioning.
----> EXCELLENT AS ALWAYS. I like going under bridges large and small; that was a cool photo.

Cappy

Well having lived over 60 years in south Louisiana and worked on the water I have seen my share of hurricanes and rode them out on land and on a boat so I have no shortage of stories and no need for embellishing them. We dodged a bad one this time and that is very good for us. Folks still with out elec and water trapped by fallen trees and suffering in the horrid humid heat and bugs and well all I can tell ya is b een there done that. having to clear trees to get outa the subdivision aint no fun and My heart and prayers go to those caught in that

Northern Dancer

...It's hard for me to imagine the circumstance Cappy because I've never experienced anything like that before. I remember years ago camping out when we found ourselves caught in the middle of a scary storm with no options. It was nothing to what you have experienced. In this neck of the woods, we have noticed increased winds in the last few years which have people concerned.

Last edited:

Roybrew

I couldn't imagine having to worry about hurricanes every year. It's pretty mild here most all year compared to other places.

Market Street bridge in Chattanooga TN. Pedestrian bridge now. We stayed on the Delta Queen, lower right in picture, a few times. It was docked there at Coolidge park, and used as a floating hotel. Most everything was original, except the beds, bathrooms and sprinkler system. I met up with a canoe and kayak group a while back, and canoed down that river, and under the bridge at night. It was really great paddling into Chattanooga at night. Everything was lit up, it was awesome.

making my canoe seats out of black walnut. Started weaving them yesterday. Slow go.

Roybrew

Finished the seats, and they are ready to install. I pulled some of the weave out of the seat on the left, and re-weaved it. I didn't like the edges.

Northern Dancer

...looking more like a masterpiece every day. Ya just gotta get a brass plate with a name and a date for the bow. Great stuff Roybrew.

Roybrew

I might do that. I am getting anxious to get it done. I want to make some backrests for it this winter, well at least before I start building a solo canoe [emoji4]

Roybrew

I hope Sally ain't drowning Cappy and the misses.

I don't think there's anyone on here from the West coast where the fires are? I the Grandpa and Ppine are Midwest. I wonder what they are seeing. We've had a few pink sunsets here, and it's pretty and strange.

You seeing anything in your evening skies ND?