The Shoot The Bull Thread

Northern Dancer

Making progress on my shop. Slowly but surely. I got all my outlets in, insulated and sheet rock hung. View attachment 3276View attachment 3277Once I finish the, mudding, of the walls I will paint, do my trim work, more painting and definitely change the lighting to LEDs. Then I'll need to install windows in the doors, small non-opening, more trim, more painting. Then I'll work on outside with calking and yep more painting. It's amazing how much you can hide with calk and paint[emoji57].

And I'm planning a trip to Sparkleberry Swamp in South Carolina. Yeh I know sounds like Fairy swamp land ha. The missus is interested in going. I've got some research to do about it.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
-----> What's that green thing hanging precariously from the ceiling?

ppine

Forester
I am trying to let go of some of my old outdoor equipment. It is a struggle.
Too many boats, too many trucks, too many canvas tents.
One at a time. Maybe it gets easier.

Northern Dancer

I've cleared out a lot of equipment this fall, some of it is not old. But what you are saying is true. People are into new and as good as what we have doesn't always get others excited. On occasion, I have put it out to the driveway and hope that it disappears. And it does.

Roybrew

Cold this morningIMG_20220129_085954465~2.jpg-10C 13F. Brrrr to cold for me. Sitting here burning my oil lamp drinking coffeeIMG_20220129_085755297~2.jpg. I'd love to be in a canvas tent with a wood stove. That's one of those things that's on my bucket list.

Talking about old stuff. I've got the old Coleman lantern that we used since the early 70s. I remember it on a table in the old canvas tent we had. IMG_20220129_093357472~2.jpg each one of kids have locked out fingers so we could hear it sizzle on top of it. It's a 200A. I'm going to restore it and hang it in my shop, when I get my shop done.

I'm getting closer to finishing. Been working a lot of overtime due to employees being out on COVID.

Made some wood boxes at the top of the abutments to cover my electric wires.IMG_20220127_191541178~2.jpg Walls are ready to paint. Working on the widows for the exterior doors IMG_20220127_195343443~2.jpg

It all looks a mess right now. It'll come together.

Attachments

Thomas H

Bibsoutdoors
Well it's the end of January, coldest part of our year here in SD. Well, one of the coldest parts. Anyway, instead of cold weather camping, I hand washed the camper, my Rubicon and my wife's Trailhawk. Can't beat that with temps today at 52°F. What's going on??? LOL

Thomas H

Bibsoutdoors
Cold this morningView attachment 3300-10C 13F. Brrrr to cold for me. Sitting here burning my oil lamp drinking coffeeView attachment 3301. I'd love to be in a canvas tent with a wood stove. That's one of those things that's on my bucket list.

Talking about old stuff. I've got the old Coleman lantern that we used since the early 70s. I remember it on a table in the old canvas tent we had. View attachment 3302 each one of kids have locked out fingers so we could hear it sizzle on top of it. It's a 200A. I'm going to restore it and hang it in my shop, when I get my shop done.

I'm getting closer to finishing. Been working a lot of overtime due to employees being out on COVID.

Made some wood boxes at the top of the abutments to cover my electric wires.View attachment 3303 Walls are ready to paint. Working on the widows for the exterior doors View attachment 3305

It all looks a mess right now. It'll come together.

Nice work Roy!

Roybrew

Wow 52 degrees!? It was sunny all day, and just gorgeous outside here. Temperature stayed just at 30 degrees. We picked up the grandson and went to the comic book store, book store then ate Jamaican food for lunch. Then went back to book store and we had chia lattes and Carmel macchiato. We went to local park and took a walk in the brisk cold air. It was a great day.

You couldn't afford me Thomas. I don't mean my labor cost either. The lumber yards love me. They know when I buy lumber, I'll take it home and destroy it. I'll drive nails and screws into and then turn 75% of it into saw dust, then I'll go and buy more.

13F this morning again. Brrr to cold for me.

Thomas H

Bibsoutdoors
Wow 52 degrees!? It was sunny all day, and just gorgeous outside here. Temperature stayed just at 30 degrees. We picked up the grandson and went to the comic book store, book store then ate Jamaican food for lunch. Then went back to book store and we had chia lattes and Carmel macchiato. We went to local park and took a walk in the brisk cold air. It was a great day.

You couldn't afford me Thomas. I don't mean my labor cost either. The lumber yards love me. They know when I buy lumber, I'll take it home and destroy it. I'll drive nails and screws into and then turn 75% of it into saw dust, then I'll go and buy more.

13F this morning again. Brrr to cold for me.

Bookstore??? I didn't know there were any brick and mortar bookstores left in the world. You lucky man! I miss going into an older store, the smell of all those books in a "confined" area was one of life's treats I thought would be around forever. Sitting in that environment holding a treasured book was so intimate. Who would have ever thought that one day that would be a memory for most of us?!

Northern Dancer

Bookstore??? I didn't know there were any brick and mortar bookstores left in the world. You lucky man! I miss going into an older store, the smell of all those books in a "confined" area was one of life's treats I thought would be around forever. Sitting in that environment holding a treasured book was so intimate. Who would have ever thought that one day that would be a memory for most of us?!
-----> Value village is the only musty place where I find used books though there are a few stores still around in the bigger cities. I admire you Roybrew for the many talents you have. I sure do know how to hammer in a nail - usually the wrong place. Though, as you know I dabble in making tent and camp furniture. The smell of wood is always pleasant and it is great to see what the mind can design.

The only new thing I've done of recent date is I redecorated the "canoe room." It's a spare bedroom we have in the basement that I use as a reading/getaway den.

Roybrew

We're fortunate to have some book stores near by. Asheville NC has some old book stores, and antique places. I would guess the best book store is Battery Park Book Exchange. New and antique books, comfy couches, chairs, pastries and beverages, including wine and champagne.Screenshot_20220131-155118~2.jpg My wife is the literary one. She devours books. She has mentioned, more then once, about raising the roof so she could have a library where a person needs a ladder to reach the books. Ha forget that. She'd just have to find a way to shrink herself, so the room looks taller.

When the girls moved out, thank God, my wife took over their bedrooms for her hobby. I would build book cases and display cabinets for her. That's what got me started wood working. Yes I love the smell of wood also. Red cedar and sassafras is my favorite.
Realizing and finding small local sawmills was a big push for me also. Then when I was building my canoe I think she felt sorry for me because the basement is a little cramped. So she encouraged me to build myself a shop. I'm sure she is thinking more display cabinets. That's fine it's fun.
So my shop is going to be my personal canoe room for me. I suck at decorating. I figure 3 or 4 wood canoes hanging from the ceiling should be good decorations. I've got 2 more canoes in mind to make.

I started building it last August, after the concrete and paving. IMG_20210818_184853719~2.jpgThat was a hit on my savings account ouch. But it is a huge improvement and adds value to the house, which also means higher taxes uhn [emoji47]. Maybe they won't notice. I didn't need any permits, so they ain't going to know unless they drive by.

I just finished making my window frames for the double entry doors. I'll call local glass shop tomorrow. The windows don't open, so it was easier construction. IMG_20220131_154537218~2.jpg

I know I'm rambling on. I just got up and drinking some coffee. Wife just got home from substituting at the local high school, the same one we both graduated from in the early 80's isn't that sad? Small town. I'm still trying to plan a trip through Sparkleberry swamp, South Carolina, don't know if it'll happen this year. Order a Delorme atlas gazetteer for SC. They have the grids, contours and coordinates.
Sorry long winded.
Roy

Roybrew

Felt like springtime last week. I was out with my t-shirt on. Got cold again real quick like.

Painting my shop. Just left my local Walmart with the last gallon can of satin latex paint. Their shelves are bare.

I hope everyone is well.
Roy

Northern Dancer

3341 3340

From my house to your house. Every time I tried to put the snow into an envelope it melted. More snow is expected but not as much as we had last evening. I didn't sleep out either - I just had a hankering for a pre-warmed bed and the comfort of continuous heat through the night.

Thomas H

Bibsoutdoors
Friday day night was the first cold night we've had in a week. Saturday it got up into the 50's (F) again. With the exception of a handful of days this winter has been very mild. We've only had one snow fall. Things are ugly dry here.

I bought 2 new Battle Born LiFePo 4 batteries for the camper. These batteries come with a built in heater system that can be turned on and off when the cold dictates, I haven't used that feature yet. Maybe later or next winter.

I'm looking forward to seeing that shop of yours Roy! Update us with more pictures if you have the time.

My wife and I just ripped up the carpet in our living room and layed hardwood. I have to tell you, even though we'll probably never use it again, that preset angle staple air gun was worth every cent making that job easier. However, my knees will never be the same again! Lol.

Little projects like this can sure cut into your camping time.

If you've ever used a propane stove in windy conditions, you know how much longer it takes to make your meals. Also, how much more fuel you use and the general pain in the rear it is. So we picked up a SUV tent to place over the galley. We haven't used it yet, but we have high hopes it will knock that nasty old wind down when we
cook.3347

I did rip out and install a better solar system in the camper, that also hasn't been used yet. What are we waiting for???

Staying healthy and out of trouble takes the rest of my time I guess, I hope you all are doing well.

NDancer...keep trying with that snow delivery, WE NEED IT DESPERATELY!

Attachments

Northern Dancer

You guys have to be the most talented people I know. I'm in awe of all the many productive projects you are involved in. Oh, well...I guess we have to have someone in a management position, and that would be me. :cool:

The only thing I've made this winter is a side table for the inside of my tent. Easy - accept I had a lot of trouble getting the legs straight so it wouldn't wobble. Sort of goes with my personality.

3349 3350

Roybrew

ND, I've got a table like that in my bathroom. Wife said he grandfather made it. I'll get a picture of it to post. Looks good tho. It's hard to keep a table from wobbling. If anyone ever says anything about it, tell them it's supposed to.

I like the white stuff you have in your area. We used to see that stuff more often. Thomas is right, it has been a mild winter. I remember when one of my brothers was stationed in the desert, somewhere. He sent home sand in an envelope. Mom laughed when she opened it and the sand fell out in her lap. I don't think snow would make it. Maybe sealed in a plastic bag with instruction to freeze before opening?

Gee Thomas, you have been busy. Floor looks great. Need good knee pads and plenty of Ibuprofen.

You've made lots of up grades on your rv. I bet your just itching to get out and put it to the test?

Yep, smeared the paint on. Not happy with color. It looked lighter at the store. I may repaint it. It feels like it's soaking up the light.IMG_20220220_150915182~2.jpgIMG_20220220_153921756.jpg

Thomas H

Bibsoutdoors
ND, I've got a table like that in my bathroom. Wife said he grandfather made it. I'll get a picture of it to post. Looks good tho. It's hard to keep a table from wobbling. If anyone ever says anything about it, tell them it's supposed to.

I like the white stuff you have in your area. We used to see that stuff more often. Thomas is right, it has been a mild winter. I remember when one of my brothers was stationed in the desert, somewhere. He sent home sand in an envelope. Mom laughed when she opened it and the sand fell out in her lap. I don't think snow would make it. Maybe sealed in a plastic bag with instruction to freeze before opening?

Gee Thomas, you have been busy. Floor looks great. Need good knee pads and plenty of Ibuprofen.

You've made lots of up grades on your rv. I bet your just itching to get out and put it to the test?

Yep, smeared the paint on. Not happy with color. It looked lighter at the store. I may repaint it. It feels like it's soaking up the light.View attachment 3351View attachment 3352

I do like your color choice, I hope you can salvage it with extra lighting or something. Your shop looks nicer than many a home I was called out to back in my Paramedic days. You should be proud of your work and skills. You know what's the scariest thing I see looking at these photos...NO DROP CLOTHS! Who can paint without them? Geeze, do you also go into phone booths to change your cloths? Maybe you have a big S on the front and a cape flowing down your back?! Roy, you don't even have things taped off...THAT'S JUST SCARY! Well what can I say, "Nice work!"