The Shoot The Bull Thread

Roybrew

Ha. Thanks for compliments. Concrete floor is not finished. I'll paint that last. Pretty sure I'll be repainting the sheet rock walls. Then I'll paint the floor.
One thing at a time.

When I get done I'll be cleaning up the basement. My camping gear will be cleaner in there and have a little more room. We are thinking about a pool table.
Roy

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Roybrew

Washed up the big green canoe, and hung it back in the shop. It's was really really dirty. When I cut though the brick and block wall, it was hanging in there and wow was it covered.IMG_20220222_151326618~2.jpg I'm glad I made the doors wide enough to bring my trailer in. IMG_20220222_145812792~2.jpg Easier to hang heavy canoes.

I think the wall color is good. I was pretty tired when I finished painting it and it took it awhile to dry and season out. Moving stuff out so I can paint the floor. Of course it's raining like a big dog and I can't get my big ole table moved around to basement till it quits.

Nice and warm outside. 70 degrees it's like spring time. It's waiting till I go camping next month then WHAMM! It'll get freezing cold with rain and tornadoes.wait and see.

Northern Dancer

I would be terrified to have all that space - just thinking of how many pieces of camp equipment and paraphernalia I could pack away there makes me sweat. 70 degrees? I'm going to have to wait until the middle of May to see those temperatures again. So in the meantime, I've made up a new summer menu and got the equipment list brought up to date. Not as challenging as the tasks you perform, but, fun just the same.

Roybrew

Yes it's hard not to buy, or accumulate, all kinds of camping stuff. I'm trying to stay the course. I about have all I need... Well maybe not... Of course I don't.

Next month is going to be interesting. Camping with my brother one week then we are going to South Carolina the next week. My wife loves antique stores. We are planning on taking the canoe and paddling either Congaree or Sparkleberry swamp and maybe camping for a night or 2. I don't know what to expect with that trip.

I almost got the canoe rack and stuff ready to try out. Of course the Subaru is having some issues. [emoji849]

Roybrew

All I can say is WOW! We drove to Knoxville yesterday. Just out on a rainy Saturday looking at antiques. Someone on a Canoeing forum mentioned a canoe shop there. All I've ever seen around these parts were kayaks, maybe an occasional aluminum or fiberglass canoe. This place had several canoes. They had North Star, Wenonah, Esquif, Nova Craft and a few other I can't remember. Oh sorry ND, I didn't see any Souris River canoes. IMG_20220226_161130119~2.jpgIMG_20220226_161014126~2.jpg I didn't like the ones hanging from the walls near the ceiling because I couldn't pet, of stroke them.

They had lots of fine camping gear. I caught a quick glance of it when the shop attendant ask my wife to remove me from the store. I was upsetting other customers with my begging and crying. She told me I looked like a two year old in front of the candy counter. I know I left some tears and slobber on the North Star 17.

Northern Dancer

Yes...I know the feeling well. That's why I have the "Don't Bring the Credit Card With You" rule. I didn't follow the rule last week when I bought [on sale of course] a new pop-up kitchen shelter and a pop-up large table for our canoe trip. I felt really guilty for about an hour.

3357 3358 3359

It's comfortable for four persons, packs down small and isn't heavy. We still wear masks in this area so I can hide my emotions a bit.

Roybrew

A portable kitchen. That's really cool. Nothing worse then stirring a fly in a persons, stir fry. That and trying to eat with mosquitos and flys around. It was very annoying when i was trying to eat and enjoy some relaxation, and having yellow jackets landing and crawling around on me.

Beautiful weather this week. 40s to 50s at night and mid 60s and sunny during the day. Shame a person has to work for a living.

Roybrew

Another gorgeous day. Took the bicycles out. Shorts and light tshirts, need I say more. No pictures tho.

Canoe work shop update. Ugh. I started coating the floor. I went to hardware store immediately after work yesterday morning. They only had 1 gallon of the light base coating, their website said 3... So I got the dark base, 2 gallons, and had them mix the lightest color closest to tan. Double ughg!
I knew better, but I was hopeful.IMG_20220304_105024678~2.jpg looked like dark chocolate. I knew I screwed up [emoji30]. The broom swept concrete soaked it up like a sponge. After I napped a couple of hours, I went to hardware store in different town. They had what I wanted, a nice lighter tan colorIMG_20220304_163659598~2.jpg this shows the color difference. After 2nd coat and metallic sprinklesIMG_20220305_084541874~2.jpg Well I thought the sprinkles were going to sink on into the paint, misleading product instructions. Another ughg [emoji30]. I've read customer reviews, and most put a clear coating down at the very last. Hmm well, we stopped on way home after bicycling today, I got 2 gals of the clear. On the front on the can it states 150 to 500sq ft coverage. I've got 400 SQ ft. On the fine print, back side of can says 150 to 300. What?? Got to wait 72 hours before I can roll it on. This is frustrating, and screw ups are expensive.

I've got my canoe sort of buried in the basement right now, so we are going to take the motorboat [emoji2928] out tomorrow. I'll have pictures to post. I'll try not to be boring.

"It's Great To Just Get Out"
Roy

Thomas H

Bibsoutdoors
Another gorgeous day. Took the bicycles out. Shorts and light tshirts, need I say more. No pictures tho.

Canoe work shop update. Ugh. I started coating the floor. I went to hardware store immediately after work yesterday morning. They only had 1 gallon of the light base coating, their website said 3... So I got the dark base, 2 gallons, and had them mix the lightest color closest to tan. Double ughg!
I knew better, but I was hopeful.View attachment 3360 looked like dark chocolate. I knew I screwed up [emoji30]. The broom swept concrete soaked it up like a sponge. After I napped a couple of hours, I went to hardware store in different town. They had what I wanted, a nice lighter tan colorView attachment 3361 this shows the color difference. After 2nd coat and metallic sprinklesView attachment 3362 Well I thought the sprinkles were going to sink on into the paint, misleading product instructions. Another ughg [emoji30]. I've read customer reviews, and most put a clear coating down at the very last. Hmm well, we stopped on way home after bicycling today, I got 2 gals of the clear. On the front on the can it states 150 to 500sq ft coverage. I've got 400 SQ ft. On the fine print, back side of can says 150 to 300. What?? Got to wait 72 hours before I can roll it on. This is frustrating, and screw ups are expensive.

I've got my canoe sort of buried in the basement right now, so we are going to take the motorboat [emoji2928] out tomorrow. I'll have pictures to post. I'll try not to be boring.

"It's Great To Just Get Out"
Roy

I hope you like the metallic flakes as much as I do. Gives the floor a nice look. Nice work Roy!

Roybrew

Thanks Thomas, yep I think the metallic flakes look better. Maybe roll the clear over it Tuesday.

Mid 50s this morning. Charging the boat batteries. Boat registration was due arh. Water craft without any type of motorized propulsion don't have to be registered, so I can have as many canoes as I want to[emoji6].

Northern Dancer

Thanks Thomas, yep I think the metallic flakes look better. Maybe roll the clear over it Tuesday.

Mid 50s this morning. Charging the boat batteries. Boat registration was due arh. Water craft without any type of motorized propulsion don't have to be registered, so I can have as many canoes as I want to[emoji6].

-----> ...just curious.
We don't have to register canoes either. But if we are on the water it is mandatory to wear life jackets, whistles, have a painter at the front and back, an extra paddle, a bailing can, and one throw rope. I also have a sponge to soak up the splash water, a red help flag, and extra bootlaces. Funny, since I stashed the bootlaces in the canoe pack I've never had cause to use them.

Not having the above items can bring some hefty fines if they board your canoe. Well...of course, they don't actually board your canoe, they usually come alongside and practically submerge you with the waves they create. :Frown2:

Roybrew

Not much is required here as far as canoes or kayaks are concerned.Screenshot_20220306-201630~2.jpg

We took the boat to the lake yesterday. Breezy but warm out. It started to get windy and the lake was white capping after we were out for about an hour. Wasn't anything life threatening in our boat. Crossing the wind would blow some spray over the gunnel, but it was just a minor inconvenience. When I was securing the boat down, after loading it, I realized I made a bad mistake. When I was removing the transom saver from the outboard, before launching the boat earlier, I forgot to put it in the vehicle like I have always done. I stowed the transom straps and forgot my transom mount. Long story, but I left it laying in the parking lot. Of course someone found it. Now I'm out another 50 bucks. Last week was a bad week, glad it's Monday.

I just put the last coat of satin finish on my shop floor. Looks great and I'm happy with it.IMG_20220307_184228839~2.jpg I even have an unused, unopened gallon of sealer to return to the store. That's saves me some $$

Jimrob4

I’m new here, love the bookstore. It was 70 and tornadoes here one day and 12 with 5” of snow the next. Gotta love the Midwest.

Looking forward to warmer weather and hopefully some riverbank camping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thomas H

Bibsoutdoors
I’m new here, love the bookstore. It was 70 and tornadoes here one day and 12 with 5” of snow the next. Gotta love the Midwest.

Looking forward to warmer weather and hopefully some riverbank camping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I understand, was 60°F one day and -14°F the next. Super strange winter thus year. Very little snow, that is also unusual. Glad to see you here by the way!

Roybrew

Welcome Jimrob4. This is a relaxing site. Glad to have ya. Jump on in anytime.

Roybrew

Brrrr. Shorts, tee shirts and bicycle riding last weekend. Tee shirts and upper 60s yesterday. Snow last night and 24 degrees at 4pm.IMG_20220312_172810738_HDR~2.jpg

jason

fear no beer
Been busy with project lately, so not much of a chance to hang out, but we did get a trip in at our local park. Nothing fancy, but two nights away. Light rain the first night, but quite. Second night the area was packed, and boy scouts and girl scouts at both the group sites, so it was a bit noisy until about 11pm. Still a nice get away. Family is getting too big for our tent, so now I have look for an upgrade. I got a short 3 mile hike in. My wife enjoyed herself enough she would like to go next month for our birthdays. Should be able to do a longer hike with her. Didn't get much pictures, maybe next time. But now it is time to work on another coop and run for our newest birds.

Attachments

Roybrew

Yep maybe time to kick the kids out of the teepee. Ha glad to hear from you Jason.

Roybrew

Been busy couple of weeks. Car problems. Pulled it's heads off and sent them to machine shop.IMG_20220330_184712999.jpgIMG_20220406_171149241.jpg

We reserved a camp site for beginning of next month. We camped there a couple of years ago, it was the maiden voyage for our canoe. It has a nice beech area, probably the best spot I've seen there. Looking forward to it.