The Shoot The Bull Thread

Simplify

Winter can be a real cozy time as you mentioned. Sitting in front of the wood stove with a good book. And ice fisherman and skiers actually look forward to winter. I am starting to feel that way myself after having been in AZ for 5 years. This is a nice area of the country but having seasons is nice also.

Cappy

Summer is or curl up on the couch under the ceiling fan and read or write. We play outside the rest of the time so it aint so bad. our out side time is just starting this week. Still 90's but the first cool front is due for Friday. We are very excited to start gardening again and the citrus is turning orange so soon I'll be swinging in the hammock snacking on fresh picked citrus reading by the fire pit and we will do that 5 or 6 months. Just different months

Cappy

Peg took everything outa da fridge today and cleaned it when she was done she had some stuff on the counter to throw away among the mystry things was a jug of stuff I ahd forgotten about. about a qt of home made wine in a gallon water jug. Me and a friend had spent 3 days on a hunting trip and the jug had the deft overs of a gallon we had brought with us. Well rather than let her throw it away I decided to give it its due. just finished my second jelly jar if it and got about 2 more to go. couldn't let that ole jug go to waste the guy I shared ti with originally has passed. Hope he knows I am thinking about him and a lil buzzed from his wine.

Pathfinder1

Been watching the extended weather forecast for out in western Maryland for about a week and damn if the expected rain isn't leaving the picture for the trip I'm supposed to take next weekend. It varies a bit... 30 to 60% chance for 3 out of the four days... but IT'S NOT GOING AWAY!

Traditionally, the first Fall trip of the year is the one we get the most people showing up - we've had as many as two dozen - but it ain't looking good this year. With peoples' vacations already set, there's no chance of postponing the trip.

The big question is, do YOU go when rain is in the forecast? I'm fed up with "civilization" enough that I don't mind sitting under a tarp for a few days. How 'bout you guys?

Cappy

Me neither man nor summer heat but as I age the heat is harder to bare. I often fish the river when it rains its cool and the fish seem to turn on. But now adays its hard for me to handle the summer heat so that is our hunker down time. We play and move around in the cooler months. The long awaited cool front seems to have passed last night and as the sun rises its definitely a crisp cool morning whit beats hot and clammy every time. Course come march I 'll be looking for a warm up.

Cappy

My fingers are stiff and its hard to type I am getting along int my fall yard cleanup. weeding hoeing fertilizing, weeding, trimming repairing weeding etc. Did I mention weeding?:) Things get away from us in the summer heat.

dinosaur

troublemaker
Interesting thing happened. A local poacher we all know came over onto my land and stole my deer blind. We know it was him because the dummy forgot about the infra-red game camera set up around the blind. Lucky for me it's a wide angle camera.

We tracked him back to where he stashed it and found a whole cache of deer stands, blinds, decoys, and a shed with mineral blocks.

I know, the right thing to do is to call the local sheriff but then I'm not sure of a conviction or the return of my blind. In the last twenty years this guy has stolen so many deer accessories from everyone in my area that he is a local celebrity. I found him.

What would you do?

oldsarge

Oh! I can come up with several ways of dealing with this guy. Thieves who feed off others don't deserve a kind heart when it comes to dealing with them. Funny thing is that the legal system doesn't really punish poachers to the full extent. Our Jails are so packed with real criminals, most poachers get off lightly. I know of a few in Illinois that got off real light.

Cappy

I guess I'd turn him in then watch him if it continues turn him in again till he gives up and either pays or goes bother some other area I can think of several other solutions but I am pretty much a law abiding kinda guy.

ppine

Forester
Cappy,
I just returned from Davis Lake, CA. It is a really beautiful place in the fall, and has always been a top producing trout lake, especially in October. I took a friend up there and talked the lake up pretty good. We could not even find the fish, much less catch any. It was very humbling after having 25 fish days with the same equipment, technique, and the same week of the year. The drought has messed up our fishing, because the lakes are still down to 50 % of the normal levels and they behave much differently. Just a reminder about who is really in charge. "When life looks like easy street, there is danger at your door."

Cappy

Good years and bad years and the world goes around. This is God's way to give us something to talk about hence this thread. Thanks for sharing dude I really appreciate it. I have other forum friends that complain about the drought you guys are having. One guy from California is kinda looking at it optimistically his local lake was flooded before his time and he is carefully marking structure and things that dont show up on maps for when the water comes back up. His lake is 40 ft low and reduced to a stream and has revealed some history. He volunteers to watch it cause folks are trying to slog through it with metal detectors and there is some really soft spots and several have gotten into trouble. I guess the story is make the best outa what ya got. A bad fishing trip is a good memory

Cappy

Was outside forcing my ole skill saw through some heavy oak pallates and burned it up. That ole saw was 30 + years old and I hate to see it go but its off to Lowes this evening for a new oe Christmas come early may pick up a recip too while I am at it they aughta be better on pallates and such. That way I can save the skill for home improvements ad such. I would kick it old school ad just get a hand saw but we ocasionally make shelving and such that requires long cuts.

Cappy

Got da new saw and it came with a bag. Also picked up a dewalt recip and got it on sale so put the warranty on it. it aughta make short work of ripping pallets to pieces. Done drank a few pints of beer and gonna watch the ball game tonight the country style ribs aughta be done by kick off and the fresh jalapeno sausage on the pit is spicy as hell and very tasty. Nothing like fresh home made sausage on the bbq pit sure helps the beer go down. Louisiana Saturday night!!! :beer3:

Cappy

ya know I am watching good game its been a rivalry for as I can remember. Great way to spent a Saturday night. the ribs were very good to say so my self. sweet spicy and mild smoke like I like em. Aaaaieeeee!!!

Cappy

Been working away at our fall yard projects and beginning to see progress we have some stuff planted some beds prepared some beds still under repair and a new one planned. Got enough wood to last for a while this year I ripped a bunch of palliates. Not near as much as you guys put in but enough for a few fires. I can always get more but this may hold us. We plan to be camping for most of the fall and winter so we wont be here ti use much. Camping wood is a whole other story.

Cappy

My pile of cut stacked wood is about the size of a pallatte if ya stood it up. Got out the shower clean bibs and a teeshirt smelling like old spice. We off to do some rat killin and this may be the night I fire up ma ole fire pit for the first time one things for sure I sure am missing a cold one!:beer3:

jason

fear no beer
I got a little over two cords un-split if you need more wood Cappy. Still got more trees to take down at this project. Enough brush/pine to burn for a week. Been spending my weekends doing yard work and burning brush.