US Virgin Islands Camping

HikerChick

...and no, not on a campground!

While the campgrounds in St. Thomas are nice, and the ones in the National Park of St. John are quite possibly even nicer, I quite enjoy camping on the island keys which have no pre-dug fire pits, bathrooms of any kind, or any other human luxuries.

I just returned from a 5-day camp on Hans Lollick, which is the key seen off of St. Thomas in this picture:

http://www.viweddings.com/images/HansLollick.jpg

We set up tents along the beach, a tarp over an area designated as the "kitchen" and brought some gas cookers up on the boat, and had another tarp set up over a table for dining/card-playing.

We hiked the island, snorkeled the beach, went fishing, and even caught a shark! All in all, it was a successful camp besides a couple of sunburns. I'd recommend any campground in the VI for camping, but nothing beats a true camp of digging your own toilet-hole and taking showers with just a gallon of water!

Uber

That sounds awesome! I've been camping on St. John before, but never on St. Thomas. The facilities were nice, and I could see how one who is used to "rougher" camping might not feel like they were really going all out at that campsite.

Sierra

I'm curious about planning a trip like this if I were to fly there specifically to go camping are there places to rent a boat? And what about supplies? Would I have to bring them with me or is there also a place where those things can be rented? It sounds like it would be a really fun trip, but I wouldn't know where to begin working out the details.

greengrass

That picture makes me want to jump on an airplane right now and fly there! Your trip sounds really fantastic! Even without the luxuries I'm used to.

HikerChick

I'm curious about planning a trip like this if I were to fly there specifically to go camping are there places to rent a boat? And what about supplies? Would I have to bring them with me or is there also a place where those things can be rented? It sounds like it would be a really fun trip, but I wouldn't know where to begin working out the details.
Your best bet is to get to know the locals on the northside, actually. I believe you can rent boats in Yacht Haven in St. Thomas (next to where the cruise ships dock up), but it's really expensive. I went up with friends who live there and have boats. Supplies would have to be brought or bought there; there aren't any places to rent camping gear that I know of. To actually camp on Hans Lollick, you will also have to get the permission of the owners, who live on the northside of St. Thomas.

Friends get you places! This is one of those luxuries that's all about contacts.

Menoux

Sounds like we all need to head down to the Virgin Islands and make nice with the locals! It sounds like a great experience to go somewhere that to most people is all about resorts and luxury and go camping. Being in nature is a beautiful thing no matter where you are, but particularly a place like that that I would consider exotic.