VinoVampire checking in at basecamp

vinovampire

Hello Everyone. I'm an avid outdoor recreation enthusiast. I hike, backpack, camp, kayak, canoe, ski, snowshoe, bike, and just generally wander around on a regular basis. When I'm at home, I enjoy reading and learning about other people's outdoor rec adventures and ideas. I look forward to learning from people here and sharing some of what I know.

-VinoVampire!!!

jason

fear no beer
Greetings and salutations. How are things in your area? Watch out for Cappy, he will have you drunk and eating some jambalaya in no time.

vinovampire

Thanks for the friendly words of welcome, Cappy and jason! Even for a New Englander like me, the thought of jambalaya and a few cheap, cold beers sounds pretty good idea right now.

jason

fear no beer
What part of New England i you do not mind me asking. "Grew up" in Long Island, spent some time in Connecticut (would not recommend the boat trip in November), and traveled through some of the other states up there.

vinovampire

Don't mind you asking in the least, @jason. I comfortably reside in the beautiful Green Mountain State, and end up doing most of my outdoor adventuring in Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont. I've lived in Connecticut and Massachusetts too, and have fond memories of spending nights looking up at the star-filled skies in the more rural, woodsy areas of both of those states.

The past few years I've spent a good bit of time "out west" on road trips doing some car camping, backpacking, bike riding, and paddling in all sorts of places from the Atlantic to Pacific coasts.

jason

fear no beer
I am told I have been to Vermont, but I honestly do not remember. Had to be when I was under 10. Family says it is nice up there.

Although if I mention Vermont to one of my friends all I will hear about is getting some Woodchuck cider.

vinovampire

Family says it is nice up there.

Although if I mention Vermont to one of my friends all I will hear about is getting some Woodchuck cider.
@jason Your family is correct! It's really nice up here. If you're ever passing through send me a PM. I'll show you a few places where you can taste all sorts of different hard ciders, including Citizen Cider. There are a bunch of amazing bars and breweries to visit.

vinovampire

Hi, Vino...
Welcome aboard. Always good to hear from new arrivals. How did you hear about OBC?
Hi @Pathfinder1 Thanks for the welcome! I heard about this place from @TDale over at the disastrous Backpacker forums. I'm happy to have found this place, and I look forward to sharing pictures, stories, and ideas with all of you here.

Simplify

Don't mind you asking in the least, @jason. I comfortably reside in the beautiful Green Mountain State, and end up doing most of my outdoor adventuring in Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont. I've lived in Connecticut and Massachusetts too, and have fond memories of spending nights looking up at the star-filled skies in the more rural, woodsy areas of both of those states.

The past few years I've spent a good bit of time "out west" on road trips doing some car camping, backpacking, bike riding, and paddling in all sorts of places from the Atlantic to Pacific coasts.
I did a lot of hiking up in the Whites of New Hampshire when I lived in Massachusetts

vinovampire

I did a lot of hiking up in the Whites of New Hampshire when I lived in Massachusetts
The Whites in NH are a blast. I spent a fair amount of time hiking and backpacking there this summer. Also, I spent the summers of 2012 and 2013 on big road trips exploring the west, particularly Oregon, Northern California, and Montana. I'm looking forward to a doing a southeastern trip to Arizona and New Mexico in the next few years. There's so much to see in this country when you're willing to explore a bit.

Simplify

A few weeks ago I hiked the Colorado Rockies for the first time. They make the Whites of New Hampshire look tame by comparison.