Weird rock on lovely walk

CaverGroupie

Here is a picture of a rock we saw on our Sunday hike in N. AL. It's not a fossil. Lots of the limestone around here looks like it semi-melted in the rain and was left with round holes or stuff like this rock. Anyone out there know anything in particular about them?

I also included a couple of shots of the forest in the album just because it's beautiful. ALBUM HERE

Last edited:

Snuggles

It sure does look like a fossil. At any rate, there are some strange findings in them "thar" hills. I once found a cluster of perfectly formed clear quartz crystals. I thought I had found a diamond. Alas, it was only quartz.

Marlowe

Great photos, Caver. It does look like a fossil but I have seen some strange rock formations caused by water. I've been a rock hound all my life and I'm always looking for that special fossil or semiprecious stone in the rough. Thanks for sharing your find.

Grandpa

Nice pics Caver, love those fall trees. I know nothing of rocks but if I was to make a guess, erosion caused by either wind or water. I bet at one time it was a part of a bigger rock standing exposed to one of the above. Much like the sandstone hoodoos in the red sandstone country.

ppine

Forester
Limestone erodes into all kinds of shapes due to chemical weathering. Calcium carbonate dissolves in the presence of rain water in wet climates.

CaverGroupie

Thanks everyone who weighed in. It's so wonderful to have a community of people to ask questions of, and get possible answers! I wanted to bring the rock home, but none of my minions would carry it, and it was too heavy for me to go far with.