What are your plans for 2021?

Roybrew

We were in Virginia a couple of weeks ago checking out a new hiking area. This is part of Cumberland MTN park of Kentucky, I think? Same mountain anyhow. We want to hike up to the sand caves. I was ready to go when we stopped to check out the trail, but day light hours being a little more limited this time of year, wife wants to wait till spring. This mountain face south so the spring flowers should be great along the trail. That is one plan I've made. It is amazing what a person over looks what is in their own back yard. An hour's drive from home.

Grandpa

Strange you should ask that question at this time because just this week we have finalized plans for two weeks of fun. Due to age and medical issues the long backpacking trips are a thing of the past, although some of my great grandchildren want me to plan some short ones. But we'll still get some good camping in.

First is a week with another couple in early June based in Utah's Escalante Grand Staircase area. We'll visit Bryce Canyon NP one day, explore hole in the rock road in the Grand Staircase one day, hike in to Calf Creek waterfall one day, then drive the old government trail/Burr road from Boulder over the mountains and come out in Capitol Reef NP. another day.

Our own family herd will meet up in July and beach camp at Flaming Gorge on the Wyoming side of the Lake. Lots of skiing and boogy boards behind the big boats, canoeing and kayaking and most important, good food. My daughters and granddaughters work all year perfecting Dutch oven recipes.

A group of friends that we camp with every year decided Wyoming's Wind Rivers would be this years destination as we roamed Idaho, Oregon and Montana last year. Campfires, goodfood, good friends with some exploring makes for a good week. They say good fences make good neighbors but sharing a campfire does too.

Now that the summer schedule is layed out a granddaughter and her family are making plans for a weekend backpacking trip suitable for grandma and I. I'm suggesting the Selway river trail. I know some good places in that wilderness to throw up a tent and throw out a fly.

Roybrew

It's nice to have a few plans, or goals. I'm winging it this coming year. I might just take a notion and call in sick a few days and go camping some time. Blow my 3 years of perfect attendance out the door.

Northern Dancer

The way things are at the moment and the immediate prognosis I'm planning to be away from the madding crowd and head for the interior waters with a buddy. In fact, we have plans for the first one already complete with [here I go again] some new equipment to make the adventure more comfortable. It's on route as I write - an ultralight small packageable cot and a new more comfortable pad, a brighter headlight, and ... I'm not sure what my reasoning is, but a sportsman's [is it okay to use the term man's?] slingshot with ammo.

Northern Dancer

It's nice to have a few plans, or goals. I'm winging it this coming year. I might just take a notion and call in sick a few days and go camping some time. Blow my 3 years of perfect attendance out the door.
=====> "Now that's what I call true outdoor spirit. Sacrifice! As you can see I designed a new outdoor logo for 2021 like I'm already itching to get on out there. :Smile2:

Roybrew

Yes I noticed the logo. I am going to have to get laptop to really see it though. To small of screen on this little phone Droid.

I'm a big sucker for head lamps. If I was an insect I would definitely "follow the light". Pzz fft that would be the end of me.

When you say interior do you mean pile your gear in your canoe and leave vehicle and modern day establishments behind? That would be fun. Why a slingshot? I've seen some of those things do some destructive damage with small steel ball bearings, so I don't knock em. I knew someone that hunted small game with them before. Your not like wanting to become a hermit are you?

Northern Dancer

Yes I noticed the logo. I am going to have to get laptop to really see it though. To small of screen on this little phone Droid.

I'm a big sucker for head lamps. If I was an insect I would definitely "follow the light". Pzz fft that would be the end of me.

When you say interior do you mean pile your gear in your canoe and leave vehicle and modern day establishments behind? That would be fun. Why a slingshot? I've seen some of those things do some destructive damage with small steel ball bearings, so I don't knock em. I knew someone that hunted small game with them before. Your not like wanting to become a hermit are you?

=====> GOOD MORNING! Right on. We have a private property where we ditch the vehicles and then head on out onto the lakes. We plan to have a base camp at my favourite Red Pine Lake and from that site take a two or three-night trip from there to explore new territory. Though Eric did remind me that the new lakes we will be exploring will look just about the same as the one we are camped on. Then I got the point - he is not keen on doing portages from one stretch to another. I'm still rationalizing the slingshot thing. The other issue of course slingshots are considered weapons in our jurisdiction and in some places they are prohibited and banned altogether.

It's Christmas Eve Day - you, your wife, and your family have a great one!