What Do You Use?

Roybrew

When you go by water or land, what type of navigational aids do you use?

I always take my gps, compass and map when I go. Even on familiar waters, and trails, when I primitive camp, I take those 3 items. I never rely on my cell phone for navigating. Just curious what others use, and of course the newest navigational toys that are available nowadays.
RoyIMG_20220721_195931859~2.jpg

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

oldsarge

Same here. Map and compass cant be beat. A dedicated GPS is nice too. It's always nice to be able to confirm your location. I never rely on my phone for navigating. I keep it in a waterproof bag for emergencies. The last thing I want is to drop my phone in water of damage it somehow, now you can't navigate or call for help.

Northern Dancer

I missed this one. The reality is as expressed by Roybrew and oldsarge [you need to change your handle to "wise" sarge] are right. Knowing what we know about technology [and a lot of it is good] we still needs the skill of map and compass. I haven't been able to rely on my phone in any of the areas that I've canoed. [Could be I have a cheap system?] But if I'm in foreign territory I take the necessary precautions and follow the proved methods.