What is the ultimate survival knife for hiking?

Joe

say you get caught in a storm and injured and have to spend the night in the mountains. what would be the best survival knife for this type hiking.

Barney

I'll try to be as direct as possible to accommodate your question. :)

Swiss Army RANGER knife! Check it out on the net and all it's functions!

jason

fear no beer
There would be depending on what you want that I would recommend

Amazon.com: Gerber 22-01629 LMF II Black Infantry Knife- 4.8 inch blade: Home Improvement

What that knife? Well it has enough weight to it that you can chop small wood if you had too. The partially serrated 3-3/4 inch blade can be used to cut through the skin of a fuselage, sever a seat belt or egress through Plexiglas. It works for building a shelter or can be lashed to a pole to create a spear. The butt of the knife has a strong flat spot that you can drive a nail with if you wanted too.

The second would be a more all around type of knife.
Amazon.com: United Cutlery Bushmaster Ultimate Surival Knife with Flashlight and Kit: Sports & Outdoors
This to me is more of a Rambo type knife. It has a lot of gadgets and stuff. I would be a bit more worried about depending on the knife blade itself during extreme use.

Barney

Jason, can I ask you something?

Do you know whether I can order a knife online from USA and will they send it to Europe? I guess they would but are there any laws or permits that you need to have?

Thanks.

jason

fear no beer
Jason, can I ask you something?

Do you know whether I can order a knife online from USA and will they send it to Europe? I guess they would but are there any laws or permits that you need to have?

Thanks.
Which country? I can try and ask the international person at my work, I work for UPS. I can ask her if she knows that the rules are.

That being said, Absinthe was not allowed for the longest time in the United States. I have ordered several times from the United Kingdom and France with no problems. I would assume it depends on if your package is checked at customs or not.

calanta

I always say a Leatherman but I am partial to the name since I dated a Leatherman many years ago. ;)

I like both of Jason's picks but honestly its not something that has ever crossed my mind, until now that is and now I wonder if I have the right stuff or not. :D

Barney

Which country? I can try and ask the international person at my work, I work for UPS. I can ask her if she knows that the rules are.

That being said, Absinthe was not allowed for the longest time in the United States. I have ordered several times from the United Kingdom and France with no problems. I would assume it depends on if your package is checked at customs or not.
Thank you Jason very much!

I'm from Serbia (Europe). We do have customs check. I would like to order some of the SOG Bowie knives and Swiss Army (at least one) but I wouldn't like to waste a 100$ or more because of some requirement of the law.

Last edited:

jason

fear no beer
Ok, I just talked to the lady who does the international shipments. She does not think so. She said she will check tonight at work. She was wondering what the length of the knife you want is. It does appear that you cannot carry a knife longer then 7cm (a little less than 3 inches).

Barney

Ok, I just talked to the lady who does the international shipments. She does not think so. She said she will check tonight at work. She was wondering what the length of the knife you want is. It does appear that you cannot carry a knife longer then 7cm (a little less than 3 inches).
You are probably thinking about the length of the blade? I would order one with 6-7 inch blade if possible? I would carry this knife for camping or fishing, mostly as an overall purpose knife for outdoors. Will there be any problem with receiving that knife from USA by mail?

Thanks.

jason

fear no beer
You are probably thinking about the length of the blade? I would order one with 6-7 inch blade if possible? I would carry this knife for camping or fishing, mostly as an overall purpose knife for outdoors. Will there be any problem with receiving that knife from USA by mail?

Thanks.
Yes, from the information I could find out it is a 7mm length blade. The hand can be longer. I would ask some local officials just to make sure, and to see if there are different regulations for hunting, fishing, or camping. I did find out as long as they meet your governments requirements they can be shipped UPS to your country. You may need to pay tariffs on it, depending on if the shipping company charges you the tariffs and pays them or just has them you pay them.

Barney

Thank you Jason, I will ask around to find out my local requirements about that.

You said 7 mm long blade, you probably meant 7 inch long?

jason

fear no beer
Thank you Jason, I will ask around to find out my local requirements about that.

You said 7 mm long blade, you probably meant 7 inch long?
From what I was told by someone in Europe, it is 7mm, or just under 3 inches. Basically the width of your palm. It seems a lot of countries over there have used similar measures.

oldsarge

The type of knife is as important as knowing the proper why to use it. You can get by with a small pocket knife in a pinch if you know what your doing, just as a large survival type "Rambo" knife will fail miserably making you work harder and possible worsening your situation. There is a book by Cody Lundin called "98.6 degrees, The art of keeping your ass alive" he covers some good points about using a knife. While in the Military I always carried a basic Swiss Army Knife in my shirt pocket. On my hip I carried a sheath knife around 4" blade length. Of course on my web belt I had a large K-Bar and in my pack I had a machete. Now a days, I carry a 6" knife with a small survival kit attached either in my pack or on my hip depending on where I'm hiking and a smaller pocket knife with belt clip.

From my experience in jungle survival, I found that a small machete and the Swiss army knife did the trick. I owned several types of those big blade "survival" knives and found them to not pull their weight. They were either to big to do small jobs (traps snares,etc) and just small enough to not handle the big jobs (hacking through branches for shelters or just being clumsy and hard to handle for long periods of time). Right in that gray area where junk falls into.

Stick with name brands such as Cold Steel, Gerber, K-bar, Camilus, Leatherman etc, avoid United and Frost cutlery, poor quality materials that don't hold up in the field. Don't fall for pre-made survival kits in hollow handles. Hollow handles mean less tang holding the blade on. If you must have a hollow handle knife, go with a Chris Reeves design. They are milled out of one piece of billet steel, very high quality!

le Metis

I don't believe there is such an animal as an "ultimate" this, or that, too subjective. It's what works best for you with whatever task you have at hand in mind that needs to be accomplish. I've always found the Rambo type knives worthless "for myself". Too big, and not flexable enough to skin out game, or to do a host of other jobs such as cutting taters, or preparing tinder to get a fire up and going...nothing more then a hanger (a small sword) as I see them....thus, my basic knives are these....these first two are home made...

and this roach belly which I ordered from Track of the Wolf

Last edited:

dinosaur

troublemaker
From what I was told by someone in Europe, it is 7mm, or just under 3 inches. Basically the width of your palm. It seems a lot of countries over there have used similar measures.

I think you better check again. You probably mean 70mm. The last time I checked, and for rough approximation only, an inch is about 25mm.

dinosaur

troublemaker
Thank God I have finally met someone here who understands the laws of physics (I hope) and most certainly international measurement.

le Metis

say you get caught in a storm and injured and have to spend the night in the mountains. what would be the best survival knife for this type hiking.

I've been giving this a bit of thought. Being injured, and caught in a storm could happen. However, a knife may, or may not be of much use for such an event. For minor injuries you may just have to tuff it out while avoiding what ever the storm is throwing at you. Here a knife could be of use to prepare shelter, and fire. For more serious injuries, that becomes a whole new ballgame. Hopefully you'll have a hiking partner that has the outdoor skills, and common sense to save your bacon until help arrives, and that you've left your itenary and a return time with a responsible party, who will activate 911 when you become overdue..

IndianaHiker

I've been giving this a bit of thought. Being injured, and caught in a storm could happen. However, a knife may, or may not be of much use for such an event. For minor injuries you may just have to tuff it out while avoiding what ever the storm is throwing at you. Here a knife could be of use to prepare shelter, and fire. For more serious injuries, that becomes a whole new ballgame. Hopefully you'll have a hiking partner that has the outdoor skills, and common sense to save your bacon until help arrives, and that you've left your itenary and a return time with a responsible party, who will activate 911 when you become overdue..
So true. In this situation I would rely more on the 10 essentials kit then a knife. I would have some type shelter at least a mylar survival blanket in there. The ability to start a fire. Some food and water. With carrying this I wouldn't really need a blade at all.