What plans/desires do you have for new/changed equipment next year?

ponderosa

I need (want) a good backpacking tent for our family of four. We've used the old 2-man tents that I've had forever. One of them is 22 yrs old & the other one isn't far behind. They're not as weatherproof as they once were, & not lightweight by today's standards. Besides, we'd rather be in the same tent. This guy is under 6 lbs, but costs more than $100/lb. Gotta watch for a sale.
https://www.rei.com/product/110292/big-agnes-copper-spur-hv-ul-4-tent
Older daughter is getting a new backpack. Younger daughter will get big sis's hand-me-down. Thinking of down bags for both of them, maybe. We have a spring break trip planned in Grand Canyon.

Grandpa

I'm impressed with the weight to size ratio. BA makes good stuff. Down bags are the only way to go except for boys. (They are always coming in dripping wet from where ever they can find water.)
Where you hiking in the canyon? We did the Tonto trail, Grandview to So. Kaibab a while back that was interesting. WE did it in March, cold on the rim but nice hiking in the canyon.

ponderosa

Our permit is to go down S. Kaibab and up Bright Angel, with 2 nights at Bright Angel cg & a night at Indian Gardens on the way out. We might skip the night at Indian Gardens & hike all the way out in one day. If we take the two days to hike out, we have to hike from IG to the top & drive all the way home the same day. We made a mistake on the "alternate trip dates" portion of the application, & of course the date we got was the one that puts us in a time crunch.

ponderosa

I'm impressed with the weight to size ratio. BA makes good stuff. Down bags are the only way to go except for boys. (They are always coming in dripping wet from where ever they can find water.)
Where you hiking in the canyon? We did the Tonto trail, Grandview to So. Kaibab a while back that was interesting. WE did it in March, cold on the rim but nice hiking in the canyon.
Did you have ice on the trail in the upper parts? I'm trying to decide if I need to try to find some sort of crampons for the girls. I've only hiked it once before. It was a February trip, & we ended up using duct tape to attach little rocks to the soles of our shoes for traction the top mile or two. This trip will be mid-March.

Grandpa

We did not have any ice. In fact, we got word from hikers coming the other way, our last night's spring was already dry so we had to tank up for two days.

The duct tape idea was brilliant.

ppine

Forester
There was a famous hiker in the GC that had his 80th birthday a few years ago. To celebrate he made 80 R2R trips in one year. We all need some role models.