When do you start swimming outdoors?

woodsman

Summer is fast approaching and with temperatures steadily climbing I think I'll be able to go swimming around the first week of may. It will be a nice change of scenery from the pool.

GA_gal

We're more than halfway through April but it's still too cold to swim outside here in Georgia. Probably be another month and a half or so. We usually start hitting the lakes and rivers for fishing at the first of June, and I typically swim off and on while the hubby is fishing.

Basically once it gets so hot you can't stand it anymore!

dinosaur

troublemaker
I start swimming outdoors when the water gets warm enough so the outer parts of my anatomy don't seem to want to climb inside of my anatomy. I never swim indoors. I figure that's for wussies. Of course, up until now I never thought about doming my pond. Hmmm.......

BGreen

June 1 is usually the official day, but we've been known to dip more than our toes in mid to late May. Once we even went in during April, but that's really rare.

Scotty

I'm with Dinosaur on this one. When I can get in the water without having to sing soprano, I will get in the water. That usually doesn't happen until we have quite a bit of warm weather which ain't happening here now. We have a couple of 70 degree days and then a couple of 40 degree days with lows in the 30s during the morning hours. It's going to be a while.

jason

fear no beer
I was in the pool about two weekends ago. Still got my swimmers ear to prove it.

Snuggles

I don't know where some of ya'll live but we had frost here yesterday morning. I surely "ain't" even thought about swimming yet. Our number one rule is not to open the swimming pool until the dogwood blossoms fall and that won't be for a while yet. Good luck to all you brave souls.

ponderosa

The local pool opens June 1, and there are usually a few days warm enough in the second half of June to actually go swimming. I won't put my kids in swimming lessons until July, when they run less risk of turning blue and going hypothermic on any given day.

BGreen

Our cool weather is lasting far more into May than normal. We usually have days in early to mid May that are warm enough for swimming. So far, the weather is not following its usual pattern. Now I'm beginning to wonder if even June will find us shivering.

TakeAHike

It really depends on where you want to swim outdoors. The smaller bodies of water are usually warm enough toward the end of May, but the larger lakes don't get nearly warm enough until late July.

Grandpa

Granddaughter took great grandson to a large lake beach last weekend. Little feller was not happy with that cold water. For that matter, his mom and dad didn't stay long either.

Cappy

When do I start swimming?? When I have to. Other than that April fools day. Which is trout season which often coresponds with me slipping on a rock.

sampaater

Good for your physical and mental health, taking the outdoor plunge and cold water swimming is the perfect new year health kick .

ppine

Forester
I do not swim much outdoors. The water around here is cold most of the time. On the raft trip next month in June water temps will be in the low 50s. Lake Tahoe often never gets warmer than the mid 60s in August.

when I was younger we started skiing and wake boarding in early April with wetsuits and went until early November. I remember swimming in Chesapeake Bay as a kid in early May.