When will I ever learn

Grandpa

One of these days, I will have to admit I am no longer young. A week ago, I foolishly accepted an offer to go with a group of young men as a "leader" to climb Mt. Borah, Idaho's highest little hill. Actually, my assignment was to bring up the rear, in case one of the boys had a problem. This I did very well, at least as far as it/I went.o_O

Borah is a day climb. 5100 feet of verticle in just 4 1/2 miles. The first 2.5 miles is 3000 feet of verticle gain. Can't tell you much about the last 2 miles.:( All of our varsity scouts made it to the summit while two of us leaders cheered them on. My calves were so sore from climbing, I was afraid if I continued, I'd never get back down. The fact that going down that steep trail would be harder than coming up never entered my mind. It was mid week before my quads allowed me to stand up straight and eight days later they are still tender. At least I can say that "chicken out ridge" didn't stop me. I just wish I could have made it that far.;)

Two failed attempts to summit in one year? I think I have to admit the peak bagging days are over.

ponderosa

I'll tell you the truth. I hate that trail. I did it twice in my twenties and have no intention of ever, ever going back. When it isn't dusty, it's like walking on ball bearings. Give me a high mountain lake basin over that long, dry, dull slog any day.

Grandpa

Next up, Big Horn Crags in the Church. Welcome lake will be kinder to me than Chicken out Ridge.

ponderosa

Ah, now there is a place I dearly love. I spent a night there once when I was 10 or 11 when the mule deer walking around camp after dusk were nearly as thick as the mosquitos. And the natural swimming pools cascading down the little stream near Bird Bill and Gentian Lakes, and the best drink of water of my life was from Airplane Lake. Yep, much, much better than Borah. Have fun.

ppine

Forester
Grandpa,
I keep getting invited on some epic hikes, like "one of the big five hardest hikes in the eastern Sierra." I keep saying no. When the description includes starting at 3,000 feet and climbing to whatchamacallit pass at 11,600 feet over 2 days I just tell them I am busy watching football or something. I live to get out there but would much rather use the truck to gain some elevation before hiking around out there in the rarified air. Tight calves is right. Along with tight lungs, tigh quads and tight hamstrings. Set reasonable goals and attain them.