Which tent/shelter to live in for up to six months in someone's backyard?

7fc8faa

I am planning to move to South Florida and a friend said I could set up a shelter in his yard to live (or park a travel trailer) for up to six months to get situated. He's letting me run power and internet from his home and use the shower. I work remotely, so internet is necessary. Within that six months I will be purchasing a vehicle too.

I would want to be able to stand in it, set up a desk, have a hot plate and mini-fridge. I will probably buy an inexpensive mattress too.

I was looking at large 10' x 15' used military tents, but is that the best option? The weather is humid and warm where I am heading.

Northern Dancer

Hi, "yfc8faa" - interesting handle. Take a look at the large outback lodge from Cabelas - it is not costly [$350.00], has lots of space, and a zip opening for a power line. I have two of them.

Three simple steps and your single wall Outback Lodge is ready
• 12' x 12' x 9'
• Steel and fibreglass poles
• Single door access with a vestibule
• Three windows, roof ventilation and power-port zipper

Enjoy stretch-to-your-toes spaciousness in the full-featured Cabela's Outback Lodge 8 Person Tent. 144-sq.-ft. floor space and a spacious 9' peak height comfortably accommodate up to eight campers. A steel main pole and fibreglass corner poles give the tent strong support. Single-wall design adds storm-ready protection. Centre-pole design promotes quick, easy setup. A 70"H door with awning ensures easy entry and exit. Use the power-port zipper to run an extension cord into the tent for power supply. Three 68-denier polyester-tricot mesh windows and roof venting increase airflow. The 210-denier polyester-oxford floor and 75-denier polyester-taffeta walls and ceiling have a 1,500mm waterproof-rating coating. Inside are three storage pockets for gear organization. Reliable YKK® zippers. Includes stakes, guy lines, fabric sticker and bottle of seam sealer.

Sleeping
Capacity
Floor
Size
WeightCentre
Height
Pole
Material
8 Person12' x 12'28 lb.9'Steel &
Fibreglass

Roybrew

Dancer sure knows his tents. You may want to look at getting an inexpensive air conditioner that runs on regular 110 volt. Maybe a good used one. I bought one from local store for under 200$. I saw picture of tent that had an air conditioner sitting on small plastic table and put through window hole into tent. January, February and maybe March are nice but April and May it starts to get a little uncomfortable because of heat and humidity.

Good luck. Please don't be a stranger.

ppine

Forester
I would not recommend a tent in the heat and humidity. They are really hot during the day and do not have much ventilation at night.
You a small used travel trailer with AC.

The large Cabela's tents do not breathe. I stayed in one on a hunting trip. Compared to canvas I think they are dark and clammy.