What Is The Best Way To Scare A Bear?

SweetSassyLady

I have a small black bear that has been coming around our house. We have no food out for the bear and it can't get into our trash. So how can I scare the thing away? Should I call the Rangers to come and trap the thing? We live in a pretty rural area so it's not neighbors who have left food out.

LivingToCamp

I'm not really sure but I would think that after a while if he wasn't getting any food that it would probably end up going away on his own. Is this a baby or just a small bear? I would be worried about "mama" showing up if it were a baby bear.

WillaMarie

I would say if it is a full grown bear and keeps coming around that you might want to call the Rangers. They may be able to give you some advice on how to scare it away and not have it coming around all the time.

CozInCowtown

Sneak up behind him and scream "Boo!" while you poke him in the butt with a sharp stick.
That should scare him real good.
I hope this helps.
DC

Grandpa

When winter comes get a tub of water out there. When the water freezes over, cut a hole in the ice. Take a can of peas and put them in the water. When the bear takes a pea, kick him in the ice hole.

or

Call Fish and Game to come catch him and haul him away.

Last edited:

calanta

I think I would call too, I am not brave enough to fight with a bear. I wake in the morning like one but that is entirely another story.

outdoorchick

Yeah, I think I would just call fish and game to see what they say. Cozincowtown's advice was great for a laugh though as was Grandpa's!

Lamebeaver

Won't help you, but I do know how to scare a Polar bear.

1. Drill a hole in the ice
2. Open a can of peas and sprinkle them around the hole.
3. Hide nearby
4. When the polar bear goes to take a pea, run up behind him and kick him in the ice hole.

:jester:

Camoguy

Very nice guys. :D Gave me my laugh for the evening.

SSL-I would go ahead and call Fish and Wildlife and have them come and trap the bear IF it's an adult. If it's a baby, Mom and baby both are going to have to be captured. IF it's just a small bear, it may be a nuisance bear that has been fed by humans before. I HATE when that happens.

Tubby

OMG OMG!!!! You guys stop, my sides hurt!!!!

Seriously, if I can stop laughing long enough.....Ok. Call the professionals and let them figure it out. At least you are smart enough not to go outside...you are aren't you?

SweetSassyLady

All right you guys! :) I know enough not to go outside while the bear is around. And when I do go out, I take my rifle with me. I am NOT going to poke it with a stick. I have better things to do.

It is a small bear, but it doesn't look like it's a juvenile. I think it's just small. I've never seen another bear with it, I think it's just a small bear. I'm going to have to call Fish and Game to come and capture it. I haven't been able to leave the dogs out by themselves so somethings got to give and I'm afraid it's the bear.

charley

Get one of those fun house mirrors that make things look bigger and hang it in a tree facing down. When the bear sees it, it will run from the bigger bear.

Then call wildlife.

campclose

Oh my.... I needed this one today! Too flippin funny! I especially liked the "go behind him and yell boo!". I would say run like heck after that one.

Any luck with the bear yet? Is it still there?

ChadTower

I don't really see why the bear needs to be trapped. Is it aggressive? Is it causing damage? You're not feeding it so all it is doing is poking around. If your house is way out with no neighbors you have you remember that your house is in their yard - not the other way around. If it's not a danger, and it's not getting food, it will move on. Bears don't stick around where there is no food.

Newanderthal

Take some photos of your bear.

If there is no food, he'll leave on his own.

If he is not causing harm or showing aggression, leave him be.

If he becomes aggressive, ask the department of wildlife and fisheries to relocate him.