Soft Tacos

Rain

I make the taco meat at home using my own recipe and spice combination. Then I freeze the meat mixture. In a cooler it will stay frozen for days and days.

I make the soft flour shells at the campsite. I bring a sack of flour, baking powder, lard or oil, a cutting board and a pin for rolling. Cooking the tortillas over in a cast iron pan over the fire makes them taste so good.

We usually have tacos near the end of our trip so we chop up any lettuce, tomatoes or random sandwich fixings that we might have left over and use to garnish our tacos.

carmen

Now I want tacos for lunch and there is no place that sounds as good as what you just made me think up. I could just see myself laying in a make shift hammock somewhere in the woods chowing down on some nice food. That is darn near mouth watering!

Roy

I'm not a great cook but heating up some frozen taco meat and eating them with some pre-made tortillas warmed up on the fire sounds pretty good to me.

JimBob

I'll make it easy and just bring some delicious Taco Bell. Whenever I make taco's myself, they always turn out with so much grease that I can't eat that many of them. I need to buy a strainer just to make them edible or something.

KeikoOka

Yum, you just made me really hungry! I am going to have to try this because I love soft tacos. I think my biggest issue is making sure to keep the sour cream good. I guess that is what a good cooler is for.

Grandpa

Grandma makes flour torts in a fry pan as well. They are great. Never thought of making them while camping but that's a great idea Rain, Thanks

oldsarge

Jack-in-the-box tacos....Burger King crunchy tacos....when the real stuff isn't available!

JimBob

Burger King doesn't sell tacos, unless they do where you live which is weird because I've never heard of that. I tried some tacos at a buffet place a few weeks ago and the meat was horrible. Some of those authentic Mexican restaurants make some mean tacos.

ponderosa

I haven't made tortillas over the fire, but I like the idea. I do make taco meat at home, dehydrate it, and use it backpacking. Cooked ground beef looks like gravel when it's dehydrated, but it rehydrates beautifully.

Grandpa

I dehydrate it unseasoned, then add it to powdered gravy mix to put over instant mashed potatoes and I just lost my appetite thinking about it.:tinysmile_tongue_t:

Funny what tastes okay when you are hungry:bad:

oldsarge

Burger King doesn't sell tacos, unless they do where you live which is weird because I've never heard of that.
Ya learn something new every day! These tacos are like the Jack-in-the-box tacos but cooked a little crispier and not as greasy. We used to have Jack-in-the-box in the Chicago land area years ago, but they have since gone.