Crappy or crappy

Menoux

There is a fish that my husband loves to fish for and I believe it it spelled crappy. Funny name, I think, lol. Anyway, some people I know pronounce it crop-ee, others say crap-ee. If you're familiar with this fish, what is the proper pronunciation?

rvmom

I asked my husband and he calls it crappy too. Lol. It sure doesn`t sound like a fish I would want to eat hehe. He said he thinks it`s a northern fish. I have never heard of it before.

4x4

There are variations on this and its no different than those who think that saying toe-mau-toe is more elegant than the proper way of toe-mae-toe. I say crau-pee. Most around here do too.

Menoux

Haha, 2coastcamper! Good to know - not only have I been saying it wrong, but I've been spelling it wrong too! That gave me a good chuckle this morning :) Thanks for the info!

2coastcamper

There are variations on this and its no different than those who think that saying toe-mau-toe is more elegant than the proper way of toe-mae-toe. I say crau-pee. Most around here do too.
Do you pronounce it "Craw-pee" instead of "Cray-pee?" And in your other example, I think you're shooting for "tow-mah-tow" instead of "tow-may-tow."

Last edited:

Grandpa

We pronounce it crop pee as well but both are right.

The common name crappie ( /ˈkræpiː/ or /ˈkrɒpiː/

wvbreamfisherman

Crop-pee, here in WV mostly. A few folks say Crap- pee, but not too many. Great eating fish and teriffic fun to catch when you get into a school of them!

ChadTower

They're good for snorkeling, too. If they are in a spot near a beach they get used to following people around who stir up the bottom and expose food. They'll group up and just stare at a snorkeler. Larger ones will follow you around for hours.

Cappy

LOL at 'crappy' Crappy is how ya feel if ya go fishing for croppie and don't catch any.:eek:hwell::tinysmile_fatgrin_t. Some folks also call them white pearch, and us cajuns call them 'sac au lait' on acounta their white flesh. At our house we call them delicous. I looked around in our archives and found this short video we took while camping at a state park.

cappyandpegody's Channel - YouTube

Cappy

LOL, by Great music, I'm assuming ya looked at some of the other videos:tinysmile_fatgrin_t I also assume ya aint stumbled across any of me and my friends drunken singin around a camp fire. Peg has the habit of waiting till I'm 3 sheets then draggin out da video camera.