Could you live in your camper?

OB-1

I wish

tried to talk my wife into moving into the camper, but its a no go. just get rid of all the stuff and downsize. that would be nice. oh well. just live the american dream. stay in debt.....collect stuff.

harmony

I would love to live full time in a camper, but I don't have one. My ideal would be a van camper, preferably a Roadtrek. However, unless that lottery ticket I bought is a good one, the nomad life will probably never happen.

ejdixon

Yes, you could. Definitely not for everyone, but then again it's all about your choice of lifestyle, I believe. Not sure how much adjustment you'll need to do in the case of a popup camper. Most of those I know that do it stay in really huge motorhomes that have pretty much all of the amenities that you can have at home.

dinosaur

troublemaker
Most people's objections to living in a camper seem to be based on the complications of life. There is also the vast difference between a pop-up and a fully equipped motor home.

I've always believed that the key to an idyllic lifestyle is simplicity. The fewer things you have, the less can go wrong.

I "camped" for over four years. There was no running water so I caught the rain. I had to heat water on a stove for a shower which I accomplished by pouring the water it into a garden sprayer. My hot water heater never went bad.

I had electricity from solar panels that charged batteries. Sometimes I'd run the batteries to low for the television to work so I used something called books for entertainment and pretty much stopped watching the inanities provided by television.

I never had a problem with plumbing either. There's a shower in my cabin with a drain that runs outside into a rock bed that leads to a limestone filled hole that precedes about twenty feet of grass on a slope before it runs into a drainage ditch that runs downhill about two hundred yards into one of my fish ponds.

I washed my clothes and bed sheets in rain water. No fabric softener on earth can match it.

My food came from the woods or the water. I also harvested a lot of fruits and wild vegetables and made some of my own bread. When life is that simple, there's plenty of time for all of this with leisure left over.

Keep things simple and you'll be happy. A lot can be said for on demand everything but there's a lot that can go wrong and the bill comes at the end of every month.

Barney

I could if I had to, but I would much rather find some better shelter if circumstances expect me to live out of my current home.

shaun

It is an idyllic existence, living in a camper van, the simple life. I believe most people could do it, human beings are phenomenally adaptable, after a few months you will adapt to your new mode of existence.

hikeorbike

You don't have to stay in debt and collect stuff! My hubby and I are able to travel the world on a fairly meager salary because we don't live like average people (one used car, one pay-as-you-go cell phone, etc.).

btatro

Yes, I could, but I would not choose to. I need some space. I live in a decent sized apartment now (1200 sq ft) and still feel pretty trapped when I am inside all day. I grew up camping in a trailer and while it has everything I actually NEED it lacks much of what I would want to be comfortable.

ppine

Forester
I have lived in a wall tent for a month and also a 22 foot trailer. It is great to get home after that time. A 35 foot 5th wheel or motorhome would be doable. It is not for everyone, just like living on a boat can be cramped after a while. Many people have big spirations for full time RVing and come home after awhile. Can we hear from any full-time boat or RVers?

Mr.E

My family and I have recently purchased a Class A Bunkhouse. We're selling almost everything we own and hitting the road for at least year maybe more. Going to try and visit the lower 48.My two kids are 11 and 8 and very jazzed about it. I'll letcha know :)

Judy Ann

While a decent sized (750 sq ft) log cabin would be great, the thought of living in a camper or pop-up in country where tornadoes and hurricanes frequent would not give me too much peace of mind. Dinosaur's set-up with a few modifications for increasing power sources sounds pretty good. I have always placed Walden at close to the top of my lifetime reading list and too believe that simplicity can be one of the keys to happiness.

Lorax

I have a little 16 ft pull behind travel trailer. It bumps out providing a nice little dinette for two. It does feature a full bathroom and a queen bed. It's very small, light and efficient.

Could I live out of it? Sure, seeing how I would be outside more and would just need a place to store minimal stuff and sleep in comfort. It would be tight and I doubt many would be willing to do it.

It sure would keep me from acquiring too much crap I don't need!:biggrin1:

TroyS

Like most kinds of camping, living in a camper is definitely based on your choice of lifestyle. Some of my dad's friends have been living in their campers after they retired, and they actually are a lot happier and enjoying it. Right now, I don't think that we'd be able to live permanently in our Motorhome. It's very easy for kids to get really uneasy in such a small space, and when that happens, it's not going to be long before you go crazy. Perhaps, when they're older, or when it's just me and my wife, it's something that we might consider.

SmokeyJoe

Absolutely I could! I'm not that particular on where I lay my head. I know there are hundreds or thousands of people doing that every day. Sometimes I go to Walmart late at night, and you see people in vans, campers, even cars just snoozin' away.

In todays economy, you can't be picky.

Cappy

The boat I work on has a smaller living space than most campers. one very small bunk room with 4 bunks, for 4 men. one small bathroom with one toilet a stand up shower stall and a sink. The galley is so small ya gotta swap places carefully. and the settee barely has room for all 4 of us to sit. The wheel house is actually the biggest room on the boat. housing all the navigation and steering equipment. When we under way most guys hang out there for the breese and the view. I live there 2/3 of my life or more so I guess that makes me a yea. When i was younger I lived for 2 years road trippin around in a 4 wheel drive pick up on my days off. So i am very used to small close spaces.

Pathfinder1

Hi...

I don't know about now...although I did once live in the heart of AK's cold country for a few years in my camp which was about 60 sq. ft. of floor space...smaller than many tents. Was no problem then. Just had to leave periodically for water and food every once in a while, just like almost anywhere else.

I rather liked it.

TroyS

Absolutely I could! I'm not that particular on where I lay my head. I know there are hundreds or thousands of people doing that every day. Sometimes I go to Walmart late at night, and you see people in vans, campers, even cars just snoozin' away.

In todays economy, you can't be picky.
You got a really good point there. I've had a few friends that ended up having to live in campers at the start of all this financial crisis thing. They were able to eventually recover. Some of them have gone back living "normal" lives, but some of them learned to like and even love it so even if they can afford to live in a brick-and-motor home, they'd rather stay in their motorhomes and campers.