The Shoot The Bull Thread

Cappy

So much for the Chinese Buffet Daughter and SiL called and said they are coming. SIL being a guy like me said he was hankering for some bbq baby back ribs the way I make em so new plan. Peg and I ran to town picked up a few sides and the ribs already in the freezer from a recent sale, So its a out side bbq Thanksgiving, fire in the yard, music on the speakers and I'll try to remember to take a few pics. May you all have a happy and most blessed Thanksgiving.

Cappy

We are currently mailing and delivering our Christmas cards 250 this year. We hot 6 post offices 2 days in a row mailing bunches. We dont like putting all our eggs errrr cards in one basket. Today we delivered 20 or so to local places. It's fun riding around listening to Christmas music. I am thrilled its finally cool enough to wear my blue jean jacket and felt hats

Roybrew

Wow that's alot of Christmas cards! I don't have that many friends [emoji3525]. Maybe there's a reason for that hmmm. I have to find social media sites where people don't know me, so I can have someone to talk to. Bunch of suckers [emoji517] Ba ha ha.
Laying hard wood in one more bedroom which involved expanding a closet for my wife, anything for the misses. Had a cold, and my wife caught it. She must've put a twist on it, and gave it back to me eww I've felt like crud. Last time I give her anything.

Cappy

Been fighting a upper cold. sinus chest. Getting it under control with fruit and such and hawking up epic lugies.

jason

fear no beer
That is a lot of cards. I send out about 30 and thought that was a bit. I always hate trying to think of something to write on them though.

Side note, went to donate blood today to be told my iron level was too high. Never heard of that before. Still used my cast iron tonight to seer the pork tenderloin from the sous vide machine however.

Cappy

Got most of the cards out still have to hand deliver them around the neighborhood. Did the attic shuffle yesterday bringing summer up and winter down. Grandpa I dont see how you mountain goats do it. half a dozen round trips up the attic stairs and my legs were trembling. no doubt about it I am a flatlander

jason

fear no beer
Well yesterday was sort of a sad day. Burt our turkey left this world, along with nine of our chickens. It is quite now in the back corner, especially since I talked my wife into removing the 3 roosters we had. They were not very big and will become soup birds. Burt was a big fella. Really need a better way as he was way too big for our cones we use on the chickens.

We are discussing what to do with three of our rabbits. Not much meat on them as they are just your typical store mix. Talked about selling them. Also talk of getting rabbits for meat, but could use a good knife to skin them if we go that route.

On a brighter side, we kept the meat chickens long enough to get about two dozen or so eggs which we have been slowly hatching.

Here is Burt inside for final cleaning. Looks like he will be our Christmas Even Dinner.

Attachments

Cappy

Wonderful for the kids to experience this. Rabbits are great to grow for meat they grow fast pending on the breed 7 to 9 weeks to butcher. They are very easy to skin and clean and any sharp knife will do the trick. Do you plan to keep the fur? let me know and I can tell you how to skin them.

Dougdad

archeryaddict
Yep rabbits are fine table fare, we eat them (wild ones) regularly during the winter as I have a beagle and we love to hunt the fast moving little rascals, its great exercise and they are really easy to clean.

Cappy

Grandpa case ya aint noticed that for several years now winter is my time to brag and crow a lil. 70 degree days comfortable nights. It is my time to play. You once told me ya dong see how I can live without a good book by a fire well I love good books by the AC summer is our hunker down out at a minimum write and read time. This is our vacation time.

Roybrew

I don't mind winter, but I prefer warmer weather. It was pushing 60 degrees past couple of days, so I decided to take down one of the persimmon trees. They sort of messy when the fruit is falling. IMG_20200109_155342883.jpg I think I dulled my chain cutting the stump to low to the ground.
I finally decided to start a canoe project. I've been wanting to build a strip canoe for a couple of years, and waiting for the right time. Well I'm tired of waiting.
Working on strongback. Not much room in my basement, but it'll do. And I can roll it outside, to work on it, on nice days.
Choice of local wood is, from left to right, sassafras, eastern red cedar, cherry(I think it's black cherry) and black walnut. I'll post as I progress.

Roybrew

Oops sorry. Wrong line up. From left to right is black cherry, black walnut, eastern red cedar and sassafras. Going to be fun project, and I know it's going to take months.

jason

fear no beer
Wonderful for the kids to experience this. Rabbits are great to grow for meat they grow fast pending on the breed 7 to 9 weeks to butcher. They are very easy to skin and clean and any sharp knife will do the trick. Do you plan to keep the fur? let me know and I can tell you how to skin them.
We had thought about rabbits instead of meat chickens for a bit. The rabbits we have now are just mutts from Rural King. If you don't have a Rural King take Walmart and merge it with Tractor Supply. They tend to take old K-mart stores and convert them, so they have a mix of everything but a lot cheaper then Tractor Supply.

I think the wife said we had about 14 eggs hatch and live. I guess that is not too bad from our home made incubator. About 50%, although we had a few hatch that didn't survive. Made a nice project for the kids. All but 4 or 5 are meat birds. I took the old meat bird run down. I took a corner out of the rabbit hutch, so I can move the ducks under them with a nice run. They now have a nice shelter as they didn't use the coop on their old run. And I turned the old duck coop/run into the meat bird area. I'm not as talented as Roy, especially using scraps from the old run to do the new area, so no pics.

On a side note, I found someone only an hour away selling Kenekune pigs. Now if I only had the money and the room. I thought about trying to raise them around the coops, but I think they would need more room. They are supposed to be a pretty tastey breed and good for small homesteads. Would be great to have some fresh pork.

My son also started Flag football. Last night was his first practice and tonight is his first game. He is on a team with all new people, and younger. Him and one other kid out of the 8 on his team have experience. But he is center, so he gets practice snapping, and gets to learn more about the game.

Otherwise things have been going steady here. Project after project. For all those up north, I thought I would say it is in the 80's this weekend. Low 80's but still in the 80's. Does not look like we will have a winter this year. But my Seminole pumpkins have taken over part of the yard and providing lots of pumpkins to eat.

Oops sorry. Wrong line up. From left to right is black cherry, black walnut, eastern red cedar and sassafras. Going to be fun project, and I know it's going to take months.
Personally, I like the red cedar, then it is a toss up between the black cherry or black walnut. But I bet any of them are going to turn out great.

Grandpa

With all the nasty weather in Louisiana I'm worried about friend Cappy and his Peggody. Ate you okay Cappy?

Roybrew

Sounds like like you got a great farm going on. I think it's good for kids to grow up on a farm. I've never thought about the different pig breeds. I guess makes sense. Years back my wife was raising guinea pigs, and she would sell a few off once in awhile. She had a few people call and ask how large they got and how long till they slaughter. Back to farm living, I'll never forget growing up on a farm. We didn't have a large one, but like you we had a little of everything. We had one milk cow, and what was funny was when mom would milk her she would sing or hum to her. It would take her a little while. Dad was a different story. He would get down to business with the milking. He would milk the cow in about a quarter of the time it would take mom. I bet that cow felt really drained when he was done. He would put some salve on her utters and slap, not hard, her on the rump. They always enjoyed and looked happy when they were outside with gardening or tending to the animals.

It was about 75 degrees here yesterday. Very unusual for this time of year, but I liked it. Wouldn't break my heart if it stayed between 60 and 80 all year. We sat on the porch with our grandson and his dad for a couple of hours shooting the breeze.

Going to try to finish the canoe strongback today then I be ready to start cutting strips, and forms. I love different woods. Going to try to mix them in and not have a specific pattern.

Northern Dancer

...it hasn't been good in this neck of the woods either. We woke up to a warning signal from one of our nuclear plants - like, that's all we need. It was immediately rescinded and declared accidental. Accidental? Strange stuff we are experiencing folks - and no matter where you are on this globe, it's scary.

Cappy

We are fine from the weather. We live very south and as usual thank God most of the bad stuff passes north of us through the center of the state. we have family there but all report they are ok

Roybrew

Glad to hear Cappy. That looked like an intense and quick moving front. Talk about nuclear plants, I remember fall 2002 I was on Watts Bar lake with a couple of buddies fishing, right near Watts Bar nuclear plant. We rented one of the cabins that the workers stayed in while building the dam in the early 40s. We were getting the effects of a hurricane that came in through the gulf or east coast, I can't remember which it was. We sometimes get some rain and windy weather from hurricanes, but nothing real serious. We were fishing right near the dam and nuclear plant when we saw some heavy smoke, and then a siren went off. We figured if it was a radioactive spill, or whatever, we were already doomed. Luckily it was their outside power substation. I guess all the rain shorted something out and blew part of it. It was worrisome tho especially after last September 2001. Eh just a walk down memory lane.