The Shoot The Bull Thread

Roybrew

Thank you. I just rolled on my last fill coat. Learning alot. The next one I make will be easier [emoji4] I don't know what I'll name it. Maybe do like Mom and Dad did naming us kids. After the 5th one just start going by number. I'm #6 and my sister is #7. When ever Dad would call me down, he would go through all my brothers names before he'd give up, and would just point at me.

Cappy

Raining very hard and the trees are dancing. I am worried about our ripening fruit and nuts. Oh well seems like a good tome for a rainy day nap.

Roybrew

Hello Cappy, you all sure get some mean storms in those parts.

Mid 80s and sunny here. Fixen to close the windows and run the AC. Trying to save money on bills.

While I was mowing my parents yard yesterday I noticed the cherry tree was loaded pretty good
so I picked a mess for a pie.
maybe 4 cups or so.
pitted, added sugar, starch and cooked them down. They be yummy and ready for pie shell.

Giving fiberglass 3 or 4 more days to cure before sanding. I am now trying to figure out how to do my deck plates.

Cappy

So far the winds hav ent been too bad and the fruits and nuts seem to be hanging in there its raining lots but our lil gardens are raised bed so they are ok..............So far

Cappy

The bad news pelting sheeting rain thunder rumbling and wind gusting. The good news we are experiencing the bottom feeder bands of the storm so its most all passed. Still have elec. way too wet to check on stuff but I can see through the wondow grass grew lots in three days

Roybrew

Got up early this morning, well normally getting off from work about this time, but off for the week end and don't want to waste it laying around. Highs today are supposed to be around 80, so we are going bicycle riding. Going to get on an old rail road line that has been converted to a bicycle and pedestrian trail. We usually start with a shuttle to the top of White Top MTN above Damascus VA and ride the 17 miles back, but this time we are skipping the shuttle and riding the lower, more level part of the trail. Never been there before, and looking forward to it.

Finished glassing outside of canoe hull last week, and I am ready to work on the stems, that I made a mess of. Looking forward to getting it off its forms and start on the inside of the hull.

I hope this finds everyone well. I better get bicycles loaded.

Roy.

Northern Dancer

...it's inspiring. I can't remember taking on a huge project like the one you have chosen "Roybrew". I'm sort of envious. Looking forward to seeing the finished product. Do we get to break a bottle of champaign, or open a cold one? How bout a little wine and cheese? Ya gotta have some sort of commissioning and one of those there new-fangled "stay your distance" celebration of some sort. And remember....don't name it the "Mary Rose".

In the meantime, I'm holding onto this until I get the word.

Roybrew

The bicycle ride went very well meaning I survived. Most people, including my wife and I, take a shuttle from Damascus VA to the top of White Top MTN and ride the old rail road line back down, mostly down hill all the way. It's about 17 miles back to Damascus, but it gets very crowded and you have to be aware of people passing. The entire Virginia Creeper Trail runs 33 miles. From the top of White top MTN to Abingdon VA.

We skipped the shuttle service, and got on the trail between Damascus and Abingdon. Little more level, so thought. It was up hill both ways. No joke the first 9 miles to Abingdon was a slight up hill climb. There was no coasting. It didn't look up hill, but I had to stay into the peddling. The trail was well maintained, and not crowded at all.
we started where the pointer said" You are here". We followed the South fork holston river untill it joins the middle fork. The Holston River runs south and is a large contributor to the Tennessee river, just a side note.
south Holston River.
where the south and middle fork join at the upper end of South Holston lake.
I always imagine what it must've looked like when the steam locomotive would come around bends and thru hills chugging out black smoke and steam.
we passed thru lots of farm land
there were a few self closing gates that would help keep rogue farm animals off the trail
then it was back to civilization.
We rode by the Barter Theater and the Martha Washington Inn, and then to Arby's for a chicken salad sandwich. We sat in the shade of a large oak tree at a war memorial site while eating our sandwiches, and watching the hustle and bustle of the interstate that runs north to Ontario. We ride back thru town and and cruise thru the front entrance of the Martha Washington Inn. I wonder what it would be like to stay here a few nights and see what antiques they may have, but I couldn't afford that, so we smile and wave at the people working there and head back to the Creeper trail. We pass under the noisy interstate, and I wonder how many people passing over us know anything of this beautiful trail that goes East into the North Carolina mtns. It was a good 20 mile round trip mostly up hill both ways.

Roybrew

Thanks Cappy, I always try to tell a little story and maybe some history about an area. Makes it a little more interesting.

The canoe is progressing slowly. I had to re-glass one of the stems, so now I'm waiting till that cures before sanding. I don't know the story of the Mary Rose, so I'll have to look that one up. My wife asked me if I was going to name it also. It is made from all local East TN wood, so maybe something like Southern Appalachian Stripper..... naw that won't work. Sort of conjures up a bad image. Don't know yet. But I know one thing, I don't want to smack it with a bottle of al-kee-hall or any other hard object, cause that may crack it wide open and then it'll sink. I need to go camping!

I'd like to say hello and welcome to @Adventuremule.

Northern Dancer

...man - "Roybew" is there anything you can't do? I get breathless just reading about your exploits. I've riding too as you know - every child in the neighbourhood runs to the backyard when they see me coming down the road.

Oh, ya - I wanted to tell you about the Mary Rose.

The Mary Rose, raised from the seabed in 1982, was the flagship of Henry VIII’s navy and now sits in her permanent home within Portsmouth Historic Dockyard. There are a number of theories as to how the ship sank in the Solent in Portsmouth in July 1545 – though whatever the cause, her demise was swift.

Roybrew

Yeh I sort of just jump into things. I try to do what I can, and sometimes it does back fire. All the neighbor kids run to the back yard? Ha that's funny. We find it very interesting how technology is allowing us to see what is down in the depths of the sea. Maybe Henry 8th should've been on the Mary Rose when it sank, might've saved alot of heads. It would be great to help restore a piece of history.

Bicycles loaded and we are going back to Creeper Trail in the morning. Going to ride the other direction.
what you think of my dorky helmet? My wife has a nice one.

Northern Dancer

Yeh I sort of just jump into things. I try to do what I can, and sometimes it does back fire. All the neighbor kids run to the back yard? Ha that's funny. We find it very interesting how technology is allowing us to see what is down in the depths of the sea. Maybe Henry 8th should've been on the Mary Rose when it sank, might've saved alot of heads. It would be great to help restore a piece of history.

Bicycles loaded and we are going back to Creeper Trail in the morning. Going to ride the other direction.
what you think of my dorky helmet? My wife has a nice one.
=====> It looks a tad spacy, so what the heck; I went for the black one - sort of represents my vocation. Though I do have a bright flashing light at the back.

Roybrew

The ride this morning going from Alvarado to Damascus was ok. It was about 6 miles gradually up hill, so coming back was easier. The trail is wide with crushed stone, and follows the South Fork Holston River to Damascus.
smooth trail
a few places to stop and sit
looks like people been jumping of this rock
we made it to Damascus. Then it started to rain, so we stayed in a pavilion ND ate our lunch before heading back. Of course it was a little muddy now. It was a good ride. The seat was really hurting my hind end, and I was tired when we got back.

Roybrew

We have chosen badly today for a small hiking location. I checked the weather the night before we left for Grayson Highlands park. It's only a couple of hours drive, but we were hoping to do some hiking up there. It rained. But we did enjoy this local pack of ponys.
they sure had a nice view of the mtns.
this little fella was born this past spring.
this one is named Fabio. His picture is displayed on their website.
I believe this is father and son playing.
Not supposed to pet the ponys.
how can anyone resist.

We are planning on returning on Thursday to do some hiking.

Cappy

to add to our weird weather stories we are experiencing an African dust storm. This happens every few years or so. Saharan dust streams across to the deep south and the air quality goes to crap the air looks dingy and ya need a mask to check the mail. Cutting grass gonna be tough.

Grandpa

The peaks around here got dusted down to about 7500 feet. It was 45 degrees here in the valley. That follows 90 degrees last week. Weird

Roybrew

We went back Grayson Highlands yesterday to do some hiking. It was 90 degrees here yesterday but mid 70s where we were hiking. There are horse trails and camping at Grayson Highlands along with the AT and plenty of other hiking trails. The trail we did was the Cabin Creek trail
we started the trail thru this gate off one of the horse trails.
The laurels were blooming
we had to pass thru a bunch of Laurel and rhododendron
the trail followed a small stream
then started to go uphill and getting a little rocky
typical trail so far
nice little wading pools
getting a little more rugged the closer we get to the stream and some small falls.
now that's what we have came to see.

Roybrew

And we continue.
oh my this starting to be a work out
yes this is the trail
someone worked on these steps
we don't know why we kept going. We are turning around because the trail started to disappear.
pretty scenery keeps us going. It was maybe a couple of miles up, and we enjoyed the falls and scenery, but that climbing wore me out. We didn't see the ponies today. They may have been up in another part of the park, but we were to tired to go looking for them.

Roybrew

Today I started working on inside of canoe. 92 degrees out. Hot and sunny.
a person can really shave the glue and high spots with a sharp scraper.
A good rough sanding after scraping. Hopefully finish sanding tomorrow.