The Shoot The Bull Thread

Cappy

instead of your snickers my go to hunting camping snack is chocolate pop tarts. More often than now they in my hunting jacket or tackle box. I carry other things as well of course but they my guilty snack and pick me up

Roybrew

I normally take those Little Debbie chocolate things with peanut butter in the middle. Last time I went I didn't take any. My wife was giving me a shake down when I got back. She said I always take them when I go, and she wanted one. I think she had her heart set on one of those cookies. I guess I better get some next time, so she'll look forward to my returning.

Cappy

LOL my youngest God son would get excited when I got to one of our hunting spots knowing I had choc frosted pop tarts in my vest he was a chubby kid and his mom didnt buy them for him. I shared them with him they come 2 to the pack. Now he is a marine so I guess they didnt hurt him much

Roybrew

Ha you made him fat. I bet you fed him more then just one. It's just us guys talking here, you can go ahead and spill the beans Cappy. His momma will never know it was you... Ha just poking at ya.

We just got off the lake. We were searching for more stepping stones for our yard. Got about 15 of em in the boat.IMG_20211023_124715232~2.jpg I figured that was enough weight. It was sure pretty outIMG_20211023_121929267~2.jpg they are dropping the lake to the winter time draw down, so this is good rock hunting timeIMG_20211023_124706012~2.jpg Caught a crappie and some blue gills. Wife gave me a funny look when she figured out I was bringing home some friends for a hot oil bath, so I let them go. She said she'd rather not look into their eyes before they're breaded and cooked. I wonder how many cave men came close to starving to death because the woman thought the food looked to cute and cuddly. Man have to skin or fillet it out before getting back to cave. Trust me I only catch the stupid fish. But, we got some good rocksIMG_20211023_172209701~2.jpg

Cappy

nice score man there is a layer of stone like that in north Louisiana folks there use it lots for stepping stones walk ways and shoring up banks its hilly there. No stones here they tend to sink.

Roybrew

Getting ready for leaf and pine needle getting timeIMG_20211114_144658872~2.jpg busy time of year. Mow the leaves and stuff into rows, suck em up with yard vac whopper chopper thing, and empty bag of ground leaves and stuff into trailer. Ready to haul off, uhn it's a job. But I like my shade, in the summer.

Got exterior walls up, joints and nail heads calked, and ready to paint. Got to build my double doors IMG_20211114_144413405~2.jpgIMG_20211114_144433797~2.jpg finish and put in my 3rd window. And I've got to put in my steel door from shop to basement, after I cut the hole thru foundation wall. Eewwee that's going to be fun.

Any how that's what I'm up to now. Looking forward to getting my shop done.

Attachments

Cappy

hadda make a run to the doller store and stock up. Thats always an adventure tehy move stuff around Hadda search for the dishwasher cubes they were across the store and the light bulbs were tough to find etc. Finally got it all back in the car and got home. I thought about the ole bring it in in one trip thing actually stood there contemplating but decided I could but better not its tight quarters and loaded with lots of bags is tough negotiating the corners and narrows and with both hands full I couldn't close the back of suv so I would hafta make 2 trips anyways. got it done in and mostly put away. Now its time to muck out the fire pit getting ready to pick up and burn up a couple big wheel barrow loads of storm trash.

Cappy

got the fire pit shoveled out and since I had my cinder bucket and handy dust pan put I mucked my ole bbq pit out too I had bbqed a spatched turkey a few days ago and it came out very good

It ws very good and the leftovers made an amazing gumbo.1637024093355.png

Cappy

got the fire pit shoveled out and since I had my cinder bucket and handy dust pan put I mucked my ole bbq pit out too I had bbqed a spatched turkey a few days ago and it came out very good
View attachment 3175

It was very good and the leftovers made an amazing gumbo

Roybrew

Yum that is a tasty looking turkey, Cappy.

We're trying to decide what to do for Thanksgiving. Maybe go out and let someone else do all the cooking.

Supposed to warm tomorrow. Guess I'll fight the fallen leaves again tomorrow. Get a good load in my trailer and it's time to haul off. My blower, sucker upper, mulcher, whopper chopper messed up yesterday. It started clanging and motor came loose like the bolts were falling out. I guess I better work on it 1st chance I get. Uhn bad year for lawn equipment.

Roybrew

It's been a week of leaf removal. Been to the landfill a couple of time to dump em. Got more to go, but took a little time to work on my, under construction, shop. I started cutting a hole thru the block wall from basement to shop, eeww this sucks!IMG_20211124_111216757~2.jpg the dust and pile of rubble is awful. I never want to do this again.1637946086849~2.jpg The door is in. Now all I have left to do is insulation, patching, trimming, painting and cleaning. IMG_20211128_070106950~2.jpg I'm looking forward to getting it done. Oh I did also build my 3rd and last window for this wallIMG_20211114_144433797~3.jpg Installing seems easier and more enjoyable then chipping cinder block out.

Other then my project, it's been pretty cool outside. Low 30's at night with frost, and maybe 50 during the warm part of the day. I guess typical for this area. Great camping time tho. No bugs or snakes. Empty camp grounds because most are closed[emoji3525]. That's my update. Hope you all doing well.
Roy.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Northern Dancer

I'm so happy that our municipality removes our leaves for us. All we have to do is to get them to the curb before the due date. :Smile2:

You are the most creative and talented man I know - seriously. If I was doing that kind of project, after I ruined everything, I'd be calling for help. Unfortunately, you are a bit distant.

Roybrew

I would lend you a hand any day ND. Thank you for the compliment. Sometimes I do get myself into a fix, and have great regrets that I ever started a project. When I was doing my trim on the basement side of the door, I noticed something didn't look quite right. When I stood back away from the door it looked tilted, a little. I put my level on it, low and behold, it is, like me, a half bubble off of plum. IMG_20211128_154047095~2.jpg it's not much off, but it is chewing on me a little. I thought I'd take a day and think about it. One problem I have is when I install, or construct something, I tend to over do how I fasten things together.

We have had some nice afternoons sunny but cool. I'd love to get out on the water for a couple of hours.

Roybrew

Ha, ocd? Me? Oh that's funny. Took me about 2 hours and I just finished straightening up. I just couldn't handle it. When I went down the basement stairs, straight toward the door, looking at it made me feel a little "dis-combobulated" like I was staggering to one side. About like Johnny Depp in the Pirates of the Caribbean movie. [emoji3061]

Roybrew

On the way back from hauling off the busted up cinder block, brick and all that stuff from installing my door, I looked down toward the river from the highway. It was to far to get a good picture, so I screen shot one off the internet. Screenshot_20211130-173713~2.jpg I love fishing this river, but the current and some shoals make it a little to challenging to paddle up stream. I normally put in at the Christen Bend boat ramp and take out 7 miles down stream. That usually requires a shuttle. I have put in at the ramp and gone all the way around the bend and took out where the river meets the road again. I would strap my bicycle to the front of the canoe, so I could peddle the 2.5 miles back to the vehicle. This works very well as long as you don't get squished riding on the little crooked road.

All this thinking got me reminiscing. I remember when my nephew and I did a longer stretch of this river and easily made a 2 day trip out of it.20160515_093516~2.jpg we had a great time.IMG_20200502_150117315~2.jpg This is a big river. Not a real deep or rapid river but it has enough current and shoals to keep a person's attention.

Northern Dancer

On the way back from hauling off the busted up cinder block, brick and all that stuff from installing my door, I looked down toward the river from the highway. It was to far to get a good picture, so I screen shot one off the internet. View attachment 3183 I love fishing this river, but the current and some shoals make it a little to challenging to paddle up stream. I normally put in at the Christen Bend boat ramp and take out 7 miles down stream. That usually requires a shuttle. I have put in at the ramp and gone all the way around the bend and took out where the river meets the road again. I would strap my bicycle to the front of the canoe, so I could peddle the 2.5 miles back to the vehicle. This works very well as long as you don't get squished riding on the little crooked road.

All this thinking got me reminiscing. I remember when my nephew and I did a longer stretch of this river and easily made a 2 day trip out of it.View attachment 3184 we had a great time.View attachment 3185 This is a big river. Not a real deep or rapid river but it has enough current and shoals to keep a person's attention.

-----> I noticed, among other things, your cooler. You sure had the boat full of stuff suggesting it was a hardy trip. I love canoeing rivers, taking my time to round the bends, and occasionally coming ashore to explore the terrain.

Roybrew

Oh yes, it's always interesting to see what's around the bend. Every time I have gone down a river, I am always looking for potential camping spots that have good beaching areas or spots that offered great views. A river is like life, it's always changing. Even when you feel you are stuck in place, you are still moving along by something bigger then yourself. So grab that paddle and try to maintain a little control, before you get swept away in a direction you don't want to go. And if you fail to navigate those tuff times, you at least gave it your best and have altered your course, maybe a little.

Roybrew

Nah. I'd probably grab the gunnels and go down screaming.

Northern Dancer

Nah. I'd probably grab the gunnels and go down screaming.

-----> I've never done the screaming bit I was so acutely aware of my circumstance that my mouth was closed as I was focussed on just getting through. But, I have to admit, it was exhilarating to be bouncing up and down and making it to the peaceful shore. I get goosebumps watching the pros navigate the wilds of a river. Me? Give me a placid lake, river, or stream. That's where I'm at.