300-Million-Year-Old Forest Found in China

jason

fear no beer
You may have heard of Pompeii, the Italian city near Naples that was buried in volcanic ash when Mount Vesuvius erupted in the year AD 79. Although it wasn’t a great day for the residents, the burial of Pompeii under 13 to 20 feet of ash preserved the town for archaeologists to discover in 1749.
In China, scientists have made a similar discovery, this time of a well-preserved forest that is a mind-boggling 298 million years old.
The preserved ancient forest was found under a coal mine near Wuda, in Inner Mongolia, China, and dates to the Permian period. If the concept of “298 million years ago” is a little hard to process, consider this description, from Gizmodo: “During the Permian, which extends from 299 to 251 million years ago, there weren’t conifers or flowers. Plants reproduced like ferns, using spores, and the modern continents were still joined in a single mass of land called Pangaea.”

Read more:[url]http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/2012/02/21/300-million-year-old-forest-found-in-china-99093#ixzz1n24sXDoK[/URL]

WinterWolf

who here is ready for a backpacking trip to china.... haha
When do we leave?... anyways I'd love to see that for myself but chances are they wont let anyone in anytime soon, too bad though. Hope the Chinese don't decide coal is more important.

ChadTower

How do you think they found it in the first place?

Right, but now is where they should stop. And there is always a chance they will not. They certainly would not here. Ask anyone that has seen the blown off top of a mountain on the AT in Pennsylvania.