Am I just a slob?

BigSky

I went camping with some family and I swear my sister spent most of her time sweeping out the tent. This simply never even occurred to me. I don't even bring a broom when camping. Even when I camp for a week, I wouldn't sweep the tent. My sister said that's because I'm a slob, I say that she's just a freak.

Gondor

I believe that truth is somewhere in the middle. :) I do clean my tent from large debris but I won't get caught up in it too much. Outdoors are dirty and that's the way it is and that's the way I like it.

Lamebeaver

The trick is to take your boots off and leave them at the entrance to the tent. If you leave too much dirt, bark, etc. on the floor it will invariably get stuck to your clothes. I'm not a neat-freak, but I do try to keep things reasonably clean. I also don't normally sweep out the tent until I break camp.

outwest

Shaking it out is one thing, even running a wet rag through it but a broom? To me that seems like a little much and I can tell you a broom has never been on my checklist before.

Grandpa

Big Sky, tell your sister she is the slob for tracking all that dirt in the tent and you are the impeccable one for being careful to not bring it in. However, I have never been know for political correctness so it would be best if you found a nicer way to tell her.

Geezer

If my bedding feels too gritty to sleep in then I'll shake it out but bringing a broom camping never occurred to me either. Then again, I'm not a good person to ask since I'll go the whole week camping without being bothered by the fact that I haven't had a shower.

Johnny

Of course, never go inside with your boots on, that's the rule. If there is no boots there is no dirt. Clean and simple. Of course, your clothes may have dirt but you won't sleep on tent's floor, you will sleep in your sleeping bag.

Rain

Yes I sweep out the tent! The kids are in and out of the tent so frequently and I don't want to sleep in sand, dirt and pine needles. Maybe if you're just camping alone then it wouldn't be a problem but when you've got four kids and a dog in and out, it needs to be swept out at least once a day.

ppine

Forester
Everyone needs to relax. Some people have a hard time calming down and just enjoying the outdoors. They feel the need to "be productive."

I am only partly housebroken and relish time outside where the rules are more relaxed or even non-existent. Why worry about dirt when you are outside if you are surrounded by it?

This topic reminds me of a story. My folks were visitng friends in the San Juan Is, WA on an island with no ferry service. They built the house from logs washed up on the beach escaped from log rafts. One day Ethel Kennedy and some of her family were coming to visit. My mom and her friend "fluffed up the rocks on the way to the outhouse" to get ready for company.

Last edited:

oldsarge

Sometimes I break out the weed whacker and do a little trimming around the site, polish a few rocks here and there, you know, just stuff to stay productive!

MountainMan22

Hi...

Tents have floors?
I like your sarcastic humor. :tinysmile_kiss_t2: :tinysmile_tongue_t: Really, you're camping in the outdoors as someone said. It's already dirty. Don't be a neat freak. Just enjoy it and as long as there are no odors that make it unbearable, you should be fine. :tinysmile_twink_t:

dinosaur

troublemaker
I am going along with Lamebeaver. I try to keep things reasonably clean. This case sounds more like the "Yes, I want to go outside. I just don't want it to touch me." Syndrome.

Ready

Our whole family are a bunch of slobs and that's why it's mandatory that we sweep or shake out daily. Sleeping in sand and dirt is miserable and once it's in the tent it makes its way into my sleeping bag very easily.

Mary Beth

I have never used a broom, in my tent. I always leave my shoes at the door, so my tent stays pretty clean. Tell your sister, you re not a slob. The great outdoors is a dirty place, and your just getting in tune with nature. :)

ChadTower

I'm going to go the other way. When car camping, when it's easy to bring a bunch of small gear, I bring a dustpan and brush. I will sweep out the tent once a day. No, I'm not afraid of dirt, and I'm not a neat freak. My wife and kids leave their shoes outside the tent. I just like to keep my gear clean and dry. Clean, dry gear works better, lasts longer, and is more comfortable to use.

I also take all of the bedding out and hang it up right after breakfast. It gets to dry out and air out any smells. Is that also seen as too much effort?

Grandpa

I also take all of the bedding out and hang it up right after breakfast. It gets to dry out and air out any smells. Is that also seen as too much effort?
Nope, I also take that as standard procedure. Dry is warm, damp is cold.

Gus

Tent Camper
Of course you are a slob. You have to sweep your tent to keep it clean. I do it every morning - right after I'm done dusting. And it's not just the boots that come off before entering. Dirt and debris can come in on clothes too - that's why all the ladies in our camp have to strip before coming in. Nasty dirt and leaves *shudder*

Gus