Bears in Indiana

dinosaur

troublemaker
For the first time in apparently more than 100 years, the state of Indiana has acknowledged the existence of black bears within its' borders. They were considered extinct prior to this. They have of course been here for the entirety of that time. Officials of the state had us believe the bears were aware of the Michigan border and refused to cross it.

Forty six years ago while attending school in Angola, Indiana, I used to go a bit North of Angola to a state park called Pokagon and watch the bears knock over the trash bins looking for food. I photographed them and posted the pictures on a college bulletin board under the heading: "Figments of My Imagination".

Why is it that politicians think they can simply order or legislate things out of existence?

Simplify

Maybe they want to try to pretend they are not there or turn a blind eye to it so they won't have to deal with a nervous public.

Denni2

I grew up just south east of Angola and hunters always talked of bears. I never saw one but where we hiked but there was a bobcat on the land we hiked and camped out side of Avilla, IN. Of course the DNR said there were no bobcats in the area.