Book review; 98.6º by Cody Lundin

oldsarge

98.6degrees. The art of keeping you ass alive
By Cody Lundin
Reviewed by Oldsarge

Throughout my years of studying on the subject of survival, in addition to having the chance to teach it while in the military. I have noticed the increase of books and articles on the subject. Time after time this information is just re-hashed over and over again. Some of these books can be overwhelming to the reader, bringing to light the question, “What do I really need to know and have on hand”? I find as a hiker/trekker who doesn’t really do a lot of serious long term backpacking into the wilderness, most of the information found in these books is overkill. I have found that Cody Lundin has hit the proverbial “nail on the head” with this book. Mike Tuttle, who is the president for the National Association for Search and Rescue, wrote in his foreword for this book, “Cody’s book provides an honest and simplified lesson on how to survive when “Murphy” strikes and places you in a life threatening situation”. Even a day hiker or someone out for a casual walk can be thrown into a situation that can spiral out of control. It’s the simple hike that lures one into a sense of complacency in regards to properly preparing for a trip. This book is the absolute minimum one should know prior to heading out alone.

Cody Lundin is a minimalist and a primitive survival skill expert who authored two books focusing primarily on survival topics. You may have seen him on the Discovery channels “Dual Survival”. Cody has 20 years of hands on teaching experience including two years spent living in a brush shelter in the woods where he slept on pine needles. He founded the Aboriginal Living Skills School, where he teaches modern wilderness survival skills, primitive living skill, urban preparedness and homesteading. Cody lives in a self designed, off-the-grid, solar powered earth home in the high desert wilderness of Arizona. There, he catches rain; composts waste and pay’s nothing for heat and cooling.

Cody’s book emphasizes the importance of proper planning before heading out into the wilderness. The differences in survival and primitive living, survival psychology and the importance of proper training, how fear effects the body. There is a section on wilderness survival kits that covers what he uses and why, then variation to that kit to suit your needs. One of the primary points of this book is the critical importance of being able to survive a minimum of 72 hours. The importance of maintaining your body temperature, keeping hydrated, and being able to signal for help, how to help rescuers bring you back alive, dealing with the survival scenario, adaptation and awareness. One book I find that would accompany this one is written by John D. McCann, Build the perfect survival kit. The two books are an absolute great start in information building to providing your safety while out in the wilderness.

Last edited:

oldsarge

Being only the second book review I've done, any feed back is appreciated! Good or bad.

Grandpa

Since you haven't done many book reviews and I haven't reviewed many reviewers, my opinion may not count for much, but I thought you did a great job on both of them Old Sarge. Thanks

ppine

Forester
I like to watch the survival shows with Cody and his partner Dave. Les is my favorite. Bear will be probably be dead soon.

Your book review was swell. Cody definitely favors traditional everything. I don't agree with some of his philosophy but he has a lot of skill. I have a friend in Arizona who know him quite well and says Cody is the real deal.

Cappy

Glad I saw this. I missed it some how. First of all I think yo wrote a great review. Like ppine I aint as primitive as Cody but do respect him and his wilderness skills I gotta admit I have learned a thing or 2 from him.

dinosaur

troublemaker
Nicely written there, bud. Of course, the "nail on the head" is in the first line of your last paragraph. I'm sure you learned the six "p's" at some point while in the military.

L

Lenseagma

I consider, that you commit an error. Let's discuss. Write to me in PM, we will communicate.