Camp Stoves

Northern Dancer

- CAMP STOVES -
There is certainly a large variety of Camp Stoves to select from these days. I think I've purchased about every kind of style but they just keep rolling the new ones out. I've even made my own - cheap, reliable, simple to use, and an abundance of fuel. Sometimes I improvise to make a product a tad safer or easier to handle.

I have reasons why I've selected the stoves I've purchased. In most instances, I've selected them based on need and the kind of usage and how many people are on the trip. No point taking an oven/stove into the interior - it's just too big, heavy, and not very practical. It's no point in having a mini at a campsite in a park setting either - just not big enough to do the kind of job I want.

- HERE ARE SOME OF THE STOVES I HAVE AND WHY -

I have two of these. Very small, compact, and appropriate for me and one other. There are three sizes of fuel cans and I select the one depending on the length of a trip. I also take along a packer's grill that goes over the stove to assure that the pots are level and steady. It avoids the issue of placing right on top of the burner and risk falling over. They use butane-propane fuel. There are other models you can purchase.

I have two of these. These are bigger and more robust than the first item shown. They are heavier and only have one choice of a propane cylinder. I do bring my 10-pound propane tank and these can be hooked up to it.

1 2966 2 29673 2969
This is my Woods general two-burner stove (1) that I also use on trips and basecamp. It is fueled by a single or regular propane tank. It has an ignition button to make lighting easier. I have a lighter two-burner stove (2) that gives me the two burners with a lot less weight. True - I did have a Coleman propane and an old Coleman that used naphtha fuel. I gave the latter one away recently to a guy who was thrilled to get it.

Okay, okay, I'm a target for camp equipment. I use this one at base camp when I'm in residence for ten days or more. In my defense, I got it on sale dirt cheap considering the outrageous price they are asking for it today. It can take a single-cylinder or it can be hooked up to my ten-pound tank. The reason I use a ten-pound tank is to save space and weight. I don't need a sixty-pound tank on my trips. Interestingly enough the smaller tanks cost more than the big ones. But then again it costs me less than eight dollars to fill up my ten-pounder.

Nothing wrong with cooking over the fire either. However, I use a cooking fire under a small grill the size of my hand when I'm tripping. I swear some of my colleagues thought they're gods for they are ever cooking up burnt offerings. If I'm out I'm not interested in eating burnt anything.

1 2971 22972
I have stoves for the inside of my tent as pictured. The first one is Mr. Heater (1) I use for cooler seasons. I use the light military stove (2) for cold/winter camping. I can use this stove for cooking meals and drying some items using extended hooks.

I now use a lighter that I can charge. It has 1,000 lights per charge and it has been great. It doesn't die on me, works at all times, and saves me from buying cheap, one-trip, BBQ lighters.

"Your experience is important to us!" Share your thoughts and ideas.