Canoe Hauling

Roybrew

I purchased some cross racks for the Subaru Outback that I have, so I can load my canoe on top. IMG_20220201_182339201~2.jpgI don't like the factory ones that came with it.

We were planning to go to South Carolina Congaree or Sparkle berry swamp. Wife prefers the Subaru over my truck. I've always hauled the canoe on my trailer, so putting it on top of the car is a new thing for me. I got the cross racks and other stuff in post today. I'll check it out tomorrow. Do a test fitting and ride. I'll let you know how it does.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Northern Dancer

I purchased some cross racks for the Subaru Outback that I have, so I can load my canoe on top. View attachment 3331I don't like the factory ones that came with it.

We were planning to go to South Carolina Congaree or Sparkle berry swamp. Wife prefers the Subaru over my truck. I've always hauled the canoe on my trailer, so putting it on top of the car is a new thing for me. I got the cross racks and other stuff in post today. I'll check it out tomorrow. Do a test fitting and ride. I'll let you know how it does.

-----> That's similar to what I'm doing too. Though I use four canoe rooftop carrier blocks and fasten the canoe with two straps over the top, one at the back, and two at the front. I also have a canoe caddie should I know that I have relatively good ground to use the same for portaging from my van to the lake. That way I can have my canoe packed and just pull it up to the shoreline.

3332 3333 3334

ppine

Forester
I have used a trailer for the last 20 years or so. The OT Guide 18 weighs around 90 pounds and is hard to get up on the old Ford pick up.

Roybrew

I do prefer the trailer also. The cross bars fit great on the Subaru rack. IMG_20220213_120228265_HDR~2.jpg I'm now making some stops to eliminate any possible side to side movement.IMG_20220213_150945866~2.jpgIMG_20220213_154430896~2.jpg I can't see spending a hundred bucks on plastic ones. Got work and some modifying to do on them. They'll look good and work great when I'm done.

ppine

Forester
Back when cars and trucks had rain gutters, we used to buy the kit and build the cross members with lumber. I carried two canoes all over the West on the roof of pickups. I always mounted one of the racks on the canopy of the pickup and one on the cab.

I don't really trust the factory racks on SUVs for two boats at high speed.

Roybrew

Back when cars and trucks had rain gutters, we used to buy the kit and build the cross members with lumber. I carried two canoes all over the West on the roof of pickups. I always mounted one of the racks on the canopy of the pickup and one on the cab.

I don't really trust the factory racks on SUVs for two boats at high speed.
Dad had those type of racks. I guess it was late 60s. He would load a small flat bottom boat on top of his pickup and bed camper. The metal brackets attached to the rain gutters. I used them once on top of an old car I had.