"Can't" Scuba Dive?

ODWoman

Forget SCUBA - I can't even free dive! My ears absolutely refuse to equalize, no matter how hard I try. Everyone around me thinks I'm not doing it right, but I truly think I am just incapable. I think Adam on Mythbusters has a similar problem - I've seen episodes where they had to submerge him using one of those big astronaut-looking suits rather than letting him SCUBA because he had an ear problem.

Short of going to the doctor - anyone ever heard of this situation? Why can't I equalize?

Wild Bill

I'm not a doctor, but the problem I think may be with your inner ear. To be totally sure you should probably visit a doctor.

Your ears have something to do with your equilibrium and if there is a problem with your inner ear that may be the problem with your diving.

Again I'm not a doctor, so maybe you should get that checked out.

Abbey

I'm with Wild Bill. An equilibrium issue could surface at a moment's notice and cause you real problems so I would get that checked out. I could see where maybe some people's ears would be overly sensitive not allowing them to SCUBA dive, but if you are having trouble with basic surface diving that sounds like there may be something going on there.