Cheap Camping Supplies?

ksummers

Hey everyone, very new here, does anyone know any websites where you can get cheap camping supplies? Thanks!

Grandpa

Sportsman's guide, Cheaper than Dirt, Overstock, and a zillion more. Depends if you want quality or cheap.

MacGyver

Like Grandpa said, the list of stores is just about limitless. You didn't say what kind of camping stuff you're looking for, but you're on the Internet - the world's biggest shopping mall. I'd just suggest going to your favorite search engine and doing price comparisons for whatever gear you have in mind. After a while you'll see who has the consistently best prices on the things you're looking for. I've got over 300 stores bookmarked - both online and brick and mortar.

Happy Joe

Apprenntice Geezer
When I was starting out I used to mail order from Campmor;
https://www.campmor.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIydLJ8rzQ2gIVkrbACh1QSQ2nEAAYASAAEgL7sPD_BwE
I don't know how good their prices are anymore...haven't ordered from them in nearly a decade ... the best deals used to be closeouts and manufacturer over runs.
Overall, I usually recommend that people new to camping ask around among their friends and relatives and check out garage sales, flea markets and pawnshops.
I do occasionally use the local surplus stores for things like tent stakes, 550 cord & canvas bags.
When in wally mart I usually wander through the sporting goods section but the best prices are during the end of season sales... keep your mind open and look around my collapsible camping trash can is sold as a "hamper" and cost around $5...
I have found some things like inverters and nail type tent stakes at Harbor Freight (caution most of their stuff is chinese junk) the local store does have cheap ratchet straps (of several quality levels) and no-name double sided hook and loop strip/cable tie by the roll (a knock off of Velcro one-wrap)
https://www.harborfreight.com/3-4-quarter-inch-x-35-ft-roll-hook-and-loop-cable-strap-96215.html
Recently they have stared selling some relatively reasonably priced cases similar into pelican cases.

Last edited:

Roybrew

I always look at discount stores like Walmart, academy sports, and have found some kitchen stuff at tj max and ross. But if your going to need something that you will have to depend on, light weight or really specific for back packing, then it's time to do some serious research and maybe spend a few extra bucks at a specialty store. The good stuff is a waste on me. My sleeping bag is about the size of a spare tire, but it does for me. I worked like a dog to squeeze it in my stuff sack this past afternoon.

Terasec

hard to say
a lot depends on what gear,
what level of quality your interested in,
and what you consider cheap
I often browse Clist for gear, lots of people sell barely used outdoor gear at bargain prices
my current tent is a $200 kelty, that I bought off craigslist for $80 used once
also have a field and stream tent I bought for $20
I sometimes check thrift stores,
have 2 LL bean 20 degree sleeping bags that I bought for $10
amazon takes some searching but they sometimes have open box/returned items at heavy discounts,
things like apparel often gets returned because of sizing,
bought a $50 quickdry tactical shirt for $10 new in packaging
many big name stores often have clearance section to browse,
have bought a few items off dickssporting goods flash sales
basically check various sites and check them often,

dinosaur

troublemaker
I often browse Clist for gear, lots of people sell barely used outdoor gear at bargain prices
my current tent is a $200 kelty, that I bought off craigslist for $80 used once
also have a field and stream tent I bought for $20
I sometimes check thrift stores,
have 2 LL bean 20 degree sleeping bags that I bought for $10
amazon takes some searching but they sometimes have open box/returned items at heavy discounts,
things like apparel often gets returned because of sizing,
bought a $50 quickdry tactical shirt for $10 new in packaging
many big name stores often have clearance section to browse
Excellent post. Every time I see someone looking for 'cheap' gear, I figure they really don't want cheap. They want inexpensive. I can't add anything to what Terasec has said here, although I have gotten lucky at a few garage sales. But that was just serendipity.

thomasthesing

Back when i first started camping and hiking in the early 70's army surplus stores were the places to go, there wasnt much available in thoughs days, as time went on i started useing the campmor catalog for the good stuff, and now in recent years ive gone back to ordering from campmor, they may not be the cheapest but have great selections and close out items too. Over the years i have learned to save my money and buy quality items once, rather then having issues with cheap equipment when i am in the wilderness.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

ppine

Forester
Campmoor has some last year's models for sale at good prices. The quality of their stuffs varies from pretty good to really good. I like their prices.