Cold Handle 42 and Spork

Roybrew

I got my, new to me, Cold Handle 42 cleaned and seasoned. And I got my new titanium Spork. Getting ready for next week camping. Getting the shakes thinking about it.

Cappy

very nice! back in my canoeing days my only utensil was a spoon and that and my pocket knife got me by. That and my lil black iron deep fry pan with lid were my mess. The spoon fit in the ot along with dry seasoning.

Roybrew

Among all the eating utensils I have, the spoon is about the only I use. I can leave my pack roll of stuff at home. Less weight, less hassle. Feller I work with laughed at me. He said a spork is the most useless thing even invented. To me it's like a shovel with teeth. I get the food close to my mouth and I can rake it in.

ppine

Forester
A titanium spork is a good example of something I will never own.
Same with coffee contraptions, and lots of other stuff.
Camping is best when it is simple and low tech. Nothing to break nothing to go wrong.

Northern Dancer

...I like the simple methods too - probably because I can't be bothered with the high prices and claims made by the manufacturer. I almost bought a used but good-shaped Coleman Camp Coffee Maker. Then the lights went out for a moment and then an announcement that the debit card system was down. I thought that was my clue not to buy. I thought to myself, I've always used a simple coffee perk that has served me for years; why change now?

Last edited:

Roybrew

I thought hard about how to prepare coffee when camping. I thought about instant which is ok but not really to my liking. Cowboy coffee which is similar to my pressed coffee. Drip coffee which usually requires a big piece of contraption. Or pressed coffee made in a travel mug.

I personally like my pressed coffee because my travel mug is my coffee maker. Just add boiling water to the grounds and press them to the bottom after steeping them for about 4 or 5 minutes. My brother likes perked coffee which was ok with me. But I hate waiting for it to perk, adjust heat properly for a good perk, waiting how ever minutes or so, or watching the little bubble glass for proper color. You sit there and watch it about the whole time. Blip blip, blip (imitating the sound of coffee perking)blip, blip blip blip, blip arh. And then you have to let it sit and drain a couple more minutes.
With a small travel mug coffee press, boil water, pour in water, stir, press, coffee ready and in your mug. You don't have to keep an eye on it.

I let my brother do the cooking, and I did the washing up. He brought paper plates, so this reduced the amount of dish washing. Normally all there was to wash was, spatchula, pot, fry pan and 2 forks. He started out with the 2 forks the very first meal cooked, so after washing I'd leave them out and ready to use again. My little ole spork I kept in my pocket. I used it quite a bit. Easy access, use, lick clean and put it back in my pocket. Ready to use when I needed it[emoji39]

Northern Dancer

I'm with you Pine - Roybrew has a way of expressing things that make it clear for one to see.

Coffee - it's a national institution and everyone has their own preferences and methods of doing things. For me, the situation determines the how. So, if I'm at basecamp I'm prepared to wait for the fresh perked pot. Other times I just do whatever. I haven't advanced as far as Roybrew - I've never had the opportunity to bring along a camp cook though I came close a few times.

It's a great life ain't it?

Cappy

When camping or off grid we love and use a percolator often we use it at home specially now that it is finally cool. My beloved old granite blue speckly pot went every where with us it finally got banged up rust got in and the pot started leaking. It now lives on the patio with some fake flowers in it. I just did not have the heart to throw it away. I now have a stainless steal percolator sued alot of late in my hurricane adventure. Seems to be a good replacement for my retired one

Thorry

A spork is a utensil that looks similar to a spoon, but is designed specifically for eating food. It's a great tool for any grower who likes to eat their buds. A spork is great for eating buds, trimming stems and removing seeds. It's also great at cleaning out trichomes, getting rid of excess resin, and making sure your bud is free of mold.

Happy Joe

Apprenntice Geezer
I believe I'll stick to my stainless fork spoon and pocket knife... (and percolator coffee).
...No need to travel light, since I no longer backpack...

Enjoy!

Northern Dancer

I'm with "Joe". I found the spork a pain to use. Like, already when you are eating spaghetti and then turn it around to use the "poon" you get the spaghetti all over your hand, right? I like my plain, made-for-camping, mess kit plastic utensils perfectly fine.

I was watching a Kevin Callan video when his spork broke - his response was hilarious.

And another "ting". :Smile2: For a while, just a tad, I got caught up on all the latest junk. I learned very quickly that most were expensive and frequently useless. If you stay with the time texted utensils and the like you won't need any fancy do-dads in spite of what the manufacturer has to say about their product being marvelous. Just sayin.

Coffee anyone?

Roybrew

Here it is midnight. First night off in 6 days and I can't sleep [emoji42]. Spork? Ha! Hardly used it. On the last camping trip I was stirring in sugar in the tar stuff I call coffee, and I noticed the spork in the bottom of my camp tote. I forgot I had it. I left it there and continued using a fork and spoon from my flat ware set.

The Great Outdoors