Cold weather campout, not so cold.

Thomas H

Bibsoutdoors
Well my wife and I went out camping with the intention of doing so in cold weather.

All but one day out temps averaged between 50°F - 55°F. Nights only got down into the mid twenties.

5 hours driving on our return trip, we got home to temps of 1°F with a feels like of -11°F. It's 2030 hrs so plenty of night yet to get cold.

I don't know whether to laugh or just shake my head.

ppine

Forester
We have a lot of smoke in the West in summer. I am much more interested in spring and fall trips and winter trips. The low desert is appealing in winter months, but it is still a lot of darkness to deal with. Getting in a winter trip feels like cheating. We are having a mild January and so mostly I am doing day hikes. By late Feb Death Valley will be calling.

Thomas H

Bibsoutdoors
We have a lot of smoke in the West in summer. I am much more interested in spring and fall trips and winter trips. The low desert is appealing in winter months, but it is still a lot of darkness to deal with. Getting in a winter trip feels like cheating. We are having a mild January and so mostly I am doing day hikes. By late Feb Death Valley will be calling.
I don't believe there are many things in life we can legally cheat. So when you can cheat winter and get out, I say go for it! I'd like to see the south west sometime. I believe it's a way from your location (I'll have to check for sure I think New Mexico), the Aldo Leopold range. I had to study him and his works in a Narural Philosophy class back in my college days and would like to see the area named for him. Also recently reread a book called "Fire Srason" by Phillip Conners. He mentioned this Leopold range as being beautiful. Well, I guess they all are really.

ppine

Forester
Hi Thomas. Leopold was a great man and advanced wildlife management by a lot in his lifetime. He had a lot to do with the designation of the first Primitive Area in the US in western New Mexico. Mountain ranges in the SW are pretty cold in winter. The best winter trips are down low in the valleys. Death Valley is not that far from Mt Whitney, but part of it is below sea level.

Thomas H

Bibsoutdoors
Hi Thomas. Leopold was a great man and advanced wildlife management by a lot in his lifetime. He had a lot to do with the designation of the first Primitive Area in the US in western New Mexico. Mountain ranges in the SW are pretty cold in winter. The best winter trips are down low in the valleys. Death Valley is not that far from Mt Whitney, but part of it is below sea level.
You know ppine, I think Leopold is still ahead of his time, but you better than any of us would know the true answer to this claim. You said in your post that Death Valley would be calling you soon, I'd like to see this wonder in the winter months.

Northern Dancer

I'm a winter camper. Like I mean snow and really low temperatures that would freeze your bacon and eggs in an instant. It's true that I have the proper equipment and the few people who join me are the same. I'm in an unusual position in that I boast that I'm a four-season camper. Because I've backed myself into that corner - I have to demonstrate that in fact, I am indeed a four-season person. :Frown2:

Real Snow - and it was coming down hard. Immediately after this photo, we cleared it off to lighten the load on the tent. Snow, as we know can be very heavy and this stuff was. You can barely see the smokestack - just a little right from the peak. Then we had to spoil the whole scene by making footsteps and clearing paths.

It's still very cold in our region and cold warnings are still being posted and heating centres [for the street follk] are still open.

ppine

Forester
If you have a large tent with a wood stove the cold does not matter much.
If you have a protected camping spot and a good fire, the cold can be dealt with. A lean to works well.
If you are exposed and can't find fuel for a decent fire the cold is a bitch.