Cooking in a chiminea

campclose

Have you ever tried to cook in a chiminea? We have roasted marshmallows in one but that is about it. Kids asked if we could fire ours up on the back screened in porch and roast some hot dogs. It's too cold outside to start a campfire. Someone is getting cabin fever!

wvbreamfisherman

LOL sounds like fun. I don't have one. but they sort of remind me of a tandoori oven... so maybe you could do some similat things with it.

Of course, the marshmallows and hot dogs and pie irons would work just fine.

ppine

Forester
You can cook on a stick alright, but there is not really room for iron pots.

Have you ever tried building a fire mid-day in winter? I really like to cook with a fire in cold weather, as long as the wind is below say 20-25 mph. A wind break is helpful. I have planted some trees at my campsite and use poles with canvas over them sw of the fire to block the prevailing winds.

edit- The easiest way to cook outside is to just cook on the ground. You don't need a fire pit, just a place cleared of vegetation. Build a larger warming fire, and pull the coals out of it with a shovel to heat your pots. My aunt is from Alaska, and has contributed many recipes to Alaska magazine. She could not believe that we could cook food for over 30 people with one good sized fire and the coals that came off it.

Last edited:

bsmit212

With the right one I am sure. Mine personally I think would be too small unless we were building the fire up and cooking off the top. But I know there are ones that are much bigger than mine that would have no issue with touching the sides. But touching the sides would be my only concern, so if you have the room a fire is a fire.