Could you live in your camper?

Luvoutdoors

Could you live in your camper...permanently? We have a friend that has a pop up camper and has been living in it full time for over a year after he lost his home. I think you could do it okay with one person maybe two but more than that and you would lose your minds!

Gracy

We have a popup trailer.... hahaha I don't think we could live in it. But if that was all we had, I'm sure we'd make due ;)

CFlyer

Necessity is the mother of invention as they say. If there is nowhere else to live besides the camper then I'm sure that I will make do with it. Some, if not many, people are living on their campers because they have nowhere else to go.

northernbushape

The Jeepist
Necessity is the mother of invention as they say. If there is nowhere else to live besides the camper then I'm sure that I will make do with it. Some, if not many, people are living on their campers because they have nowhere else to go.
Well put. When I look at people in distressed communities living in shanties and old tattered tents, I think a camper would be the lap of luxury.

Would I do it by choice? Probably not. I think the constant turning sideways to move around in it would drive me nuts. Maybe a bigger trailer I could, but I would most likely build an outdoor shelter to go with it so I could have alternative space to stretch out a bit.

If I had no choice though, I would be grateful for a decent trailer or camper for sure and would make do.

SallyA

I don't think it would be so bad to live in a camper in the warmer months when you can get outside and do things. Living in a camper in the colder months when heat would be an issue and you wouldn't be outside as much would be a real challenge.

lbean

I could live in it. I would too if I did not have kids. Once they grow up and go in to the world I would consider living in my camper and traveling for a few years.

Fox38

I would not want too but I could if I had to. There are people that are far worse off than living in a camper as the other poster noted. It's sad really! As I said, I don't want to.

Paige

I don't see that happening for me-I hope with all my heart. I feel sorry for those who have had to do this. We met a couple who were living in an old abandoned school bus and had put a wood stove in it and were doing OK. It was a shame though that they had to do that.

But if you have to do something like this, then you make do.

Stoker

I think I could do that. I might have to migrate south for the winter. But if I had to, most definitely. The one I have is so small though, it would just be me.

Linda

Yes ,you could live full time in an RV.Me and my husband do and we have been for 4 years now and we both love it.Our kids are all grown and married with families of their own.We live in a fifth wheel with one slide out and saving to get a bigger one with maybe 2 or 3 slides.We have lived on the river,for about a year, in an rv camp where we met a lot of very nice full timers.We now live on private property,in the country, by a huge pond overlooking beautiful country pastures.Very private and quiet.I work in the small town close by and my husband is a truck driver.We don't live this way because we have to---we choose to.In the summer we just hook up and go on vacation where ever we want to.It is cheap living and an easy way to save a lot of money.

CatsEye

I absolutely could do it. I know a lot of older people who take jobs as docents during the summertime at various parks during the summer. I also have a cousin who has a large RV parked in Florida she and her husband use all winter long. They come home during the summer but when it starts getting cold where we live, she's off and gone.

Hannah

It would be far too cold here to live in a pop up camper all year. It would probably be doable with a Winnebago or a 5th wheel though, I just think the canvas would not be warm enough.

Bear Warrior

I have a friend who lives in their camper full time. There is no shower in it so she got a membership to the YMCA so that she could work out and shower. All she really has to worry about is gas, clothes money and a few other things. She is one of the best fishers I know and also hunts small game for food to help her save money on groceries. It works for her well. Nobody messes with her because she has a Rottweiler that convinces people not to lol.

Ms. Nibbles

Seven of us lived in an Apache hard sided popup camper for 6 months. We thoroughly enjoyed it and I honestly think we could have done it indefinitely. Ours didn't have a bathroom so we stayed in different campgrounds. The hard sides kept us dry even in the cold, wet weather.

Camoguy

That sounds wonderful! I would love to do that. I dream of retiring and buying a huge RV and going around the country to various campgrounds. I read a blog quite some time ago of a woman and man who do this full time and posted their blog from different campgrounds. Fun.

ADK Ann

We lived in our 29 ft. camping trailer for three months while traveling across the USA (from July through October). I feel we could have done it for a much longer period but not during the winter in the north. I also could have done with a smaller trailer because it would have been easier to tow and park. I believe that a trailer or 5th wheel is a better choice when traveling since you can park it at a campground and explore the area you are visiting.

Ellen

I could live in my camper. It has all the comforts of home. I'd miss the storage space but it would a lot better than what some people have to live in!:tinysmile_grin_t:

JimBarb

I know a couple that lived on a sailboat for more than 10 years: it had 300 sq. feet of actual living space, it reminded me of a 5th wheel.

They seemed very comfortable, and even had a "boat cat" as a pet: I'd heard of cats that liked to swim, but I'd never met one until I met theirs on-board their sailboat.

CatsEye

That would be very interesting. I haven't ever heard of anyone living on a sail boat but I've heard of river boatmen who lived with their families on river boats. I wouldn't mind that but I'm not sure I would want to live on the ocean.

paloma

That's nice Linda. I've been living in a big house and I'd like to live in a camper or trailer once the children goes. Then, we could go around anytime and be on vacation the rest of our lives with only our email address as the permanent address to go by.