Deciding on Clothes?

Barney

How good are you on estimating what clothes to wear for what conditions, temperature-wise? How do you layer and which are your preferred brands?

Grandpa

Winter or summer I start with a moisture wicking baselayer. As the temps cool I go with a fleece second layer, then down for my third layer. In the summer, my anorka rain coat serves as the windbreaker outer layer. In the other seasons I switch to a light parka that has ventilation zippers in the arms and sides for my outer layer.

While Northface, Patagonia, Marmot etc used to be the great stuff, anymore it is all made in China and the quality of all is about the same. The name brands still have some warranty but the best warranties seem to be coming from the stores. Sale price and the store warranty determine which brand I am buying.

As far as estimating what to wear, it is simple out here in the Rockies. In summer, plan for 90 degrees down to 20 degrees. In winter, drop 30 degrees to 60/-10. Anything below -10 this old horse heads for the barn. Proper layering will get you through it all.

ghostdog

Valhalla, I am coming
Grandpa must be my twin. His entire post is so similar to my methods, materials and my thoughts on brand and sales that I'll just say ditto.

Our temps swing from oppressively hot to frigidly cold too on many days and nights so like him I carry a complete layering system and never worry about what will be.

carmen

I do pretty good but I still pack a few extra's just in case. My husband loves when I pack extra's but only when he needs them (he usually skimps on the socks). I would rather have a few extra's just in case, besides I am sometime clumsy in the woods so an extra set is always a blessing.

Barney

Winter or summer I start with a moisture wicking baselayer. As the temps cool I go with a fleece second layer, then down for my third layer. In the summer, my anorka rain coat serves as the windbreaker outer layer. In the other seasons I switch to a light parka that has ventilation zippers in the arms and sides for my outer layer.

While Northface, Patagonia, Marmot etc used to be the great stuff, anymore it is all made in China and the quality of all is about the same. The name brands still have some warranty but the best warranties seem to be coming from the stores. Sale price and the store warranty determine which brand I am buying.

As far as estimating what to wear, it is simple out here in the Rockies. In summer, plan for 90 degrees down to 20 degrees. In winter, drop 30 degrees to 60/-10. Anything below -10 this old horse heads for the barn. Proper layering will get you through it all.
Great post!
1) Moisture wicking baselayer is exactly what I will do. I like synthetic stuff but lately I'm going much more with wool.
2) Fleece as the next layer.
3) Rain and wind barrier. Usually PreCip or Goretex for rain and some technology to stop the wind. This layer has venting pockets.
4) I also the heavy outer layer for insulation. But I've been put off by down since a few of my jackets got wet to the that they became useless.

Pathfinder1

Hi...

I'm VERY GOOD at dressing for the outside temps...!! Most brand names don't mean much to me at all.

The layers I use vary considerably, according to what's happening (or expected to happen) outside.

In an Arctic winter I was most comfortable with my first layer being 'street' clothes with long john bottoms, then coveralls, then an unlined field jacket. Then a ski-type hat, mil-surplus mukluks or felt-lined pacs, and mil-surplus leather mittens with wool liners. When it got REALLY cold I would wear a hoodie under the coveralls...OR...wear a vest over my 'street' clothes, then a snowmobile suit.

ppine

Forester
The experience of being underdressed makes a strong impression. I always bring enough clothes, and plenty of water.

For cold weather, besides the obvious, insulated over pants, a watch cap, fur hat, silk scarf and gloves.

Marshmallow

I always take more than I end up needing, but I can't decide what we'll need ahead of time. I've tried layering, but I still end up with layers of the wrong things.

charley

I get too hot and sweat so I need to be careful. I wear a wicking baselayer on the top and most of the time that is all. I take extra tops and change when they get soaked. I wear shorts until it is about 45 and then long pants or wicking bottoms with shorts. It depends alot on the temps but I wear a lot less than most. I have a very good heater.

Pathfinder1

charley;

I get too hot and sweat so I need to be careful. I wear a wicking baselayer on the top and most of the time that is all. I take extra tops and change when they get soaked. I wear shorts until it is about 45 and then long pants or wicking bottoms with shorts. It depends alot on the temps but I wear a lot less than most. I have a very good heater.

Hi...

Your first sentence interests me.

Is it possible that you are pushing yourself too hard, hence ending up sweating too much...??

Gondor

Baselayers are OK and I combine them very good. But it seems that I still don't have my favorite when it comes to outer heavy layers. Waterprooing, insulating... a big headache when deciding.

Barney

To me, the biggest difference is between walking and resting. I always dress light while walking. This is where most people make mistakes. When done walking you need to add layers because your body will start to cool down.

ghostdog

Valhalla, I am coming
To me, the biggest difference is between walking and resting. I always dress light while walking...
↑ This ↑

Good base layers and sometimes mid layers are for moving. Puffy layers are for keeping warm when stopped. Even in a snowfall I cannot hike in a coat. If it is windy I put a breathable wind shirt over my base or mid layers and stay conscience of any heat build up. I take off layers before sweating. I remember a time in the not too distant past where I was wearing a couple layers of silkweight capliene in -8C/17F while snow trudging and it was perfect. When the sun went down I did add a light Powerstretch fleece layer. Wind, and rain shells are always in my bag along with a puffy down jacket.

charley

I can walk along at a crawl and in a mile I will be dripping. I can wear nothing on top but a polypro top when it's 30 F and still sweat.