Deer hunting is inhumane?

Phillips

I'm a deer hunter, who does not want to tell other people's victims of hunting, after all, "hunting" is called "population control"

Grandpa

Watching a herd of deer die of starvation because there are too many in the herd is inhumane. Watching a herd of deer die of disease such as wasting disease is inhumane. Wildlife managers use hunting for population control to avoid these terribly inhumane things from happening to our wildlife.

AK Hunter

I know it's an old post but I have seen deer starving in a local city park. It was locked in by highways & roads on all sides so the deer couldn't get out. The deer had eaten every leaf, stick, shrub, & root up to about 7' high. They had to put cages around the trees to keep them from eating the bark.
The deer had gotten so tame you could walk up to them as they were looking at your hands thinking you had something to give them. Their ribs were showing & some of the older ones had gotten weak & couldn't hardly walk. It wasn't a pretty sight.
The city finally had to hire some archers to that care of the problem.

ppine

Forester
Hunting is how we got here.
Moderns humans are still mostly programmed for the Pleistocene. It is in the DNA of a lot of us. I have retired from hunting because it is a lot of work without young people to help. I like to hunt elk and the country is steep.

ppine

Forester
One thing that makes it a lot more humane is only taking shots you can make. Don't blast away at deer. Don't jump shoot them. I expect to kill them with the first shot, certainly the second. I am tired of finding bloated deer, elk, and antelope that somebody killed and did not follow up. They are lying there bloated in the sun. It is a tragic waste of lives.

In the West, the shots can be long in open country. What distance is your rifle sighted in for ? 250? 300? Can you hit what you are aiming at? Try prone with a rest. Practice. Eastern ground hog hunters are the only guys from East of the Mississippi that I have met that can shoot long range from back there. Learn to account for the wind in the West. My brother made a perfect shot on a giant antelope but there was a lot of wind and he killed the fawn standing next to it. It was great to eat, but not what we wanted. My Dad made a heart shot on one of the biggest mule deer I have ever seen in South Dakota at 425 yards. Alas my hunting days are mostly over.

I would cook for someone's deer or elk camp for $100 a day. I bring a canvas wall tent with a wood stove and traditional Dutch Ovens. I miss things like fresh elk liver right on the wood stove in a snow storm with a shot good bourbon.

Roybrew

My father used to deer hunt, when we lived in northern Michigan. I was to young to go with him. We moved to Tennessee, and rarely ever saw a deer. I would hunt squirrel and rabbit in the mountain behind the house. There was very little public land to hunt. Just didn't see much wild game around here back then, like it was hunted out. Dad was completely out of his hunting environment and with out his old hunting buddies. He couldn't afford to go on hunting trips, or maybe he felt the money was best spent on us and home?

Now there is wild game every where around here. We get deer walking through the yard almost every day. I see foxes, bobcat, raccoon, turkey and much more. Not many people hunt any more. I see lots of people with guns, but they don't use them for hunting.

I haven't been hunting since I was a teen ager. Nothing against it. I have kept an old 16gage shot gun, thought maybe one of these days I'd do some turkey hunting.