Fancy Dinners at 9,800 Feet

ppine

Forester
I just returned from a backpacking trip in northeast Nevada. No permits, no rules, and no sign in at the trailhead. We had 7 guys in camp after climbing a pass at 10,450 feet. Most of them were former marathon runners and bike racers. Many were older than me.
One night for dinner the main chef pulls out smoked trout. Then he made ice from the dry ice he was carrying for drinks. The salad was spring greens with sauteed shrimp and pecans and balsamic drizzle. Fresh green bean, NY steak in wine reduction and 10 lobster tails. Then he pulls out ice cream and makes chocolate sauce. This changed everything.

Grandpa

I just returned from the High Uintas after 5 days with a bunch of varsity scouts. I had these young men as Webelos (10 or Olds) and they have just kept me moving up the ladder with them. We took 5 pack horses with the Dutch ovens and all the goodies.They planned the menu, bought the food and did it all. Nothing near as elegant as Ppines group but for teenagers, they served up some mighty fine vittles. And they kept those ovens shined. They were even eager to learn how to care for the stock. All us fat guys had to do was enjoy. And offer a bit of advice here and there.

MacGyver

As I've gotten older, I've taken cooking in a slightly different direction. No more stack o' pots and pans, no griddles, no dutch ovens or big array of spices... I now let Chef Mountain House take care of things so I can devote more time to making sure my latest camping shirt isn't a lie.

ppine

Forester
I have heard about this particular Chef for many years, and did not think much of it. But to be out there in the bush up in the high mountains with no one else around it was a big deal to be treated to a meal like that. It was a lot of work, but worth it.

Cappy

Being a foodie I would enjoy that kind of deal as well. I recently saw a rafting trip where they brought a very fancy spread with them and kinda gourmet ate their way down a rocky river. That looked very cool to me. If ya glance at our camp;ing post on our blog I am sure ya know we eat very well when camping in our lil camper