finding a good knife i mind boggling hard. suggestions?

mineman_bruce

Working and rebuilding my outdoors kit, and I used to have the best knife in the world. But while I was on deployment, a good friend borrowed it and my truck and forgot to take it out along with a few brass shells from shooting and some jack ass came along and smashed the window to my bronco and made away with my tackle box containing the knife. No idea the make or brand, my grandfather said he got it a very long time ago, it was so old it barely had an edge and had been used as a gardening knife for years before I ever got it.

Long story short, I can't seem to pin down a great knife. I have the folder front down with my myerchin captain (great knife for you sea faring folk a marlin comes in very handy) and my old remington flip knife complete with choke tool. I like the scandi grind as it seems to be the easiest of all to sharpen and seems very useful, but i find the mora line of knives down right ugly. I may be crazy, but I enjoy a simple, good looking knife as well as a functioning one. . Every time i think i have found THE knife, i read something that changes my mind. Any recommendations for a good woods knife under 150 without the gaudy handle or doesn't look like a kitchen knife? I have a camp axe so a full width tang isn't a necessity i don't think as i wont be batoning with it unless it is a legitimate SHTF scenario and my pack is lost.

sorry for the run on post guys!

Last edited:

Theo

eyebp's mentor
I'm a big fan of Mora knives for the same reason you don't like them. They are a utilitarian knife in both looks and function. It would help if you would tell us what you plan to do with the knife. Knives are like hammers. They didn't just make one and quit. 99% of the time, I use my SAK (swiss army knife) for my knife needs. I've got about ten or so different fixed blade knives but I rarely use them.

ChadTower

I think you're overthinking. Buy some knives with a good reputation, use them, and discover for yourself which ones you prefer for which purposes.

There is no simple tool that does everything well.

briansnat

Platnium Member
There is no "one knife" that is perfect for everything. Also, knives are a personal thing. One person will say get xxx and the next will tell you that xxx stinks and yyy is the best. All you need to do is google "best survival kinfe" or "best camping knife" to come up with list after list and nearly every list is completely different from the previous one.

I'd say that the one that pops up most frequently on these lists is the classic Ka-Bar US Marine knife. Relatively inexpensive and hugely popular, but I'm sure you'll find someone to tell you it's junk and you need to buy zzz instead. In addition to the Ka-Bar I see the Cold Steel, Fallkniven and Benchmade brands seem to have a lot of enthusiast out there

A few years ago I was looking for a big camping/survival knife and eventually chose the SOG Seal Pup and it has served me well, though I admit I only actually use it on about 1/3 of my camping/backpacking trips. 90 percent of what I need done by a knife is handled by my Swiss Army knife when I'm outdoors.

I think the best way is to identify a few candidates, then go to a dealer where you can actually handle them and choose that way. I found this website that might give you a starting point Your Guide to the Best Survival Knife | BestSurvivalKnifeReview.com

Last edited:

Grandpa

In keeping with everyone else's thoughts, here is my "favorites". For edc, a gerber pocket knife. Why did I choose this knife? Because it was a gift and it works fine for me.
Is it the best for the job? Probably not but it works great for what I use it for so why search the world over to find something just a little better. When backpacking, I carry a benchmade folder. I never would have paid that much for a knife, but I found this one, lt is light, holds a great edge so into my pack it goes. When hunting, I carry a kershaw blackhorse II. This is my favorite knife. Its best quality is the rubber handle that is easy to grip even when bloody. For skinning, I use a schrade, and for boning, an Alaskan boning knife that someone lost. I suppose if I was in more life or death situations, I might try to improve my selection. I do have several other knives as well but these are my "go to" knives.
By the way, I once had to field dressed a 6x6 bull elk with that little gerber pocket knife. Keep any knife sharp and in good condition and they will treat you right.

ChadTower

A few years ago I was looking for a big camping/survival knife and eventually chose the SOG Seal Pup and it has served me well, though I admit I only actually use it on about 1/3 of my camping/backpacking trips.

My main carry on hikes is a Sog Seal Pup Elite. Great knife... but like he said... most of the time when I need a knife out there I'm going to pull out the multitool instead.

Pathfinder1

There is no "one knife" that is perfect for everything. Also, knives are a personal thing. One person will say get xxx and the next will tell you that xxx stinks and yyy is the best. All you need to do is google "best survival kinfe" or "best camping knife" to come up with list after list and nearly every list is completely different from the previous one.

I'd say that the one that pops up most frequently on these lists is the classic Ka-Bar US Marine knife. Relatively inexpensive and hugely popular, but I'm sure you'll find someone to tell you it's junk and you need to buy zzz instead. In addition to the Ka-Bar I see the Cold Steel, Fallkniven and Benchmade brands seem to have a lot of enthusiast out there

A few years ago I was looking for a big camping/survival knife and eventually chose the SOG Seal Pup and it has served me well, though I admit I only actually use it on about 1/3 of my camping/backpacking trips. 90 percent of what I need done by a knife is handled by my Swiss Army knife when I'm outdoors.

I think the best way is to identify a few candidates, then go to a dealer where you can actually handle them and choose that way. I found this website that might give you a starting point Your Guide to the Best Survival Knife | BestSurvivalKnifeReview.com

Hi...

Excellent reviews...thanks...!!

Newanderthal

Think about it. Your ancestors got along great with a shard of rock. I'm sure tempered high-carbon steel with a nylon sheath and ergonomic grip will do just fine in whatever circumstances you find yourself in.

ppine

Forester
Anyone ever see a video of a guy make a shard from obsidian and skin a deer? It is very efficient and very fast.

Any decent knife will work. It all depends on what you like. I am partial to old carbon steel knives given to me by Dad and my great uncle with names like Marble, Camillus, Western, K-Bar, and Case.

beemerphill

Just a few random thoughts.

You didn't tell us how or where you plan to use this knife. If it is going to be used a lot in the outdoors, pick a name brand in the style that you would like to use, and take care of it. Most of the major brands are pretty good now days. The Moras are ugly, but they do work, and you won't be out a lot of loot when it is lost, stolen, or broken.
Most of what I use a knife for can be handled well by a good Victorinox Swiss Army knife. Just pick the size and features you will use every day. Caution-don't get a real large one-you won't want the big SOB in your pocket if it is too large.If you will need just a handy all around blade for everything, it is hard to go wrong with a Buck 110. This is the classic Buck folder. It is a good size to carry in the factory sheath, and will do almost everything that a larger knife can do. It will also be with you most of the time because it is small enough to be carried every day, but big enough to do most jobs.
These are just a few rambling thoughts, take them for what you paid for them.
Good Luck with your search.

ppine

Forester
There is too much information out there. Go to a store you like. Then limit your choices to what they have. Handle a few, then pick one and look at the rest.

Signal survival

In case of knives I like you to suggest Swiss Army Knife and Chris-knives-San-Diego. I am using both of them and in my opinion, I think that they both are good knifes then others. They both are different in design, but can be used for the common function. The swiss knife is present in different models, whereas the Chris knives are ultimate. You can make both the part of your survival kit and both are easy to use even you can also put them in your pockets.

dinosaur

troublemaker
Tell me what you want to use the knife to do, how long and thick you want the blade. Are you going to gut and skin? Are you planning on cleaning fish? Do you need a utility knife to help build a lean-to?

I'll send you one. I have a copious number of very good knives. Or I'll make you one.

Wehan

Benchmade. Lifetime transferable warranty, lifetime free sharpening that includes a full go through and tuning but that's mostly for folders. I just got my first Benchmade a week ago (barrage 583) and I must say that this knife is absolutely awesome.